Frost seeding rate

H80Hunter

Ive got a couple small food plots that were planted in the LC Rye mix last fall. Was a Great success in the fall, so I'm expecting it to rebound well in the spring. That said, for the clover portion, I mixed medium red and ladino. What would you overseed this spring and how much?

My plan for the plot is to let the Rye and clover grow until August and make the decision to either let the clover ride for the fall, or nuke and replant LC Rye mix again based on the success we had last year. I'm thinking I should overseed a white clover if I'm open to letting it stand.

Thoughts? Again, I'm also curious what rate you'd use of whatever clover.

I'm interested in the responses to this question also. I used crimson clover in my LC mix so I'm wondering if I should frost seed some ladino or durana to have a perennial clover in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So did you include some clover in the LC mix planted in the fall? In Paul's writings he always recommended planting the clover in the fall so it will be established late winter / early spring. If not, then frost seeding is a good option. If you dont already have clover then I would just frost seed red clover and increase the seeding rate by 50%. If you want a perennial then next fall sacrifice the red and plant ladino with your LC mix. The ladino is slower to get established and if planted in the fall it will compete better with your spring weeds and also have a better established root system. I have had great success with frost seeding red clover. When I sew in the fall I plant red clover at a rate of around 12# per acre. When frost seeding I increase it to 18.

I planted the LC rye mix in several plots this fall and overseeded ladino and medium red clover yesterday. Ladino at 6# per acre and red at 12# per acre.

I've had great luck with this in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Last spring

53459ee722ebefab249a9d9effe1e0f0.jpg

I mixed red and white clover at the LC mix rate. So, I'm basically supplementing if this spring. May not even be necessary, but for a few dollars of clover seed it seems worth doing.

On established clover, I frost seed at 2-3 #/ac of WC each year. Seems to help keep them fresh. thru the years. And like you said, its cheap seed, so why not. In the fall, I overseed with WR. Helps control weeds and keeps green feed thru much of winter and early spring. It dies our by mid summer or it can be terminated.

Unlike most crops, I have not found seeding "too much" to create a problem--just a few dollar hit to the wallet. I err on the side of more than necessary to facilitate weed control. Just my 0.02.

On established clover, I frost seed at 2-3 #/ac of WC each year. Seems to help keep them fresh. thru the years. And like you said, its cheap seed, so why not. In the fall, I overseed with WR. Helps control weeds and keeps green feed thru much of winter and early spring. It dies our by mid summer or it can be terminated.
This is an interesting approach, dogghr. I have been basically following the LC rotation, but I don't like terminating an established clover plot each fall to put in the LC mix. Does it actually work to just overseed into clover with WR (and maybe radish)? I would think the clover would be too thick to allow room for other plants to establish. I don't do any tillage - throw n mow only.

Can you frost seed too early? I'm gonna be at our land next weekend (March 4-5 in western WI). Would be nice to spread the white clover seed and then forget about having to get back for sure by late March if I decide to do it then. I'm leaning towards just doing it as long as it's not for sure doomed. As I said, I planted the LC Rye mix so I should have a good stand if clover without doing anything.

This is an interesting approach, dogghr. I have been basically following the LC rotation, but I don't like terminating an established clover plot each fall to put in the LC mix. Does it actually work to just overseed into clover with WR (and maybe radish)? I would think the clover would be too thick to allow room for other plants to establish. I don't do any tillage - throw n mow only.
Yes it does work great, I've done it every year. I usually do it late Aug when clover has been set back by heat/dry weather of that month. The clover canopy is weakened then and the rye makes soil contact. Sometimes mix in WW also and sometimes the brassica. If bad early winter, the WW and WR will still have good feed in a freeze burned clover plot.
The other time I have overseeded is early Nov again if early winter onset. Works good then too. WR will grow on a sidewalk if it gets a little moisture, certainly my go to seed along with RC.
I let the WR or WW just terminate itself following late spring, or it gets terminated if I am spraying Cleth to kill grasses in plots which I usually do after good greenup in May.

Can you frost seed too early? I'm gonna be at our land next weekend (March 4-5 in western WI). Would be nice to spread the white clover seed and then forget about having to get back for sure by late March if I decide to do it then. I'm leaning towards just doing it as long as it's not for sure doomed. As I said, I planted the LC Rye mix so I should have a good stand if clover without doing anything.
You should be fine. What you ideally want is a freeze/thaw cycle that opens pores in the ground in which the seed will drop. I actually have better luck late March here, but with mild winter I am frost seeding this weekend hopefully. Temps in 30s day, and below freezing at night forecast with chance of snow. I wouldn't want to broadcast on top of snow if you can keep from it unless quick melt is happening. Good luck.

Back