Forgive me for I have sinned

Brokenbear

I have replanted my bottoms corn twice now ...and due to raining like in the tropics the bottoms corn has anything but corn showing ...in fact some plants I am going to have to get a book out to ID !

Now for my sin (sins actually) .... planted all my beans today ( a tad early to bow hunt over at the leaf turn mid September) ....with a few weeds showing ....and even some green ...or at least yellow green grass ... I cannot believe I allowed myself to plant into a field not as clean as a pool table ....

But here is the deal ...rain has been killing us ..ground prep has been a nightmare ...weed/grass burn down next to impossible ...a day or two window and get something done ....finally put 3 days together and sprayed ...disc for the 3rd time the fields ....the ones with spots of yellow green grass (5"-) showing ...harrowed it ....and ...at age 70 ...I still love to work the land and watch it grow and watch the wildlife prosper from it ....

But I just don't enjoy working the land anymore when it's 85 or 95 degrees and 80% humidity ....so

Today was nice and cool ...good breeze ...fair amount of cloud cover and this old man decided to plant when it works for him instead of "by the book" ...me thinks the wildlife will like the slightly less plentiful buffet (yield) versus me having a bad heat event and the wildlife having no buffet at all

Just saying ...stay active ...do the things you have the passion for but just know ....doing mostly what you want in moderation is a whole lot better than fouling one's self up to where you can do nothing

Happy planting boys and girls and use your head out there!

Bear

I have replanted my bottoms corn twice now ...and due to raining like in the tropics the bottoms corn has anything but corn showing ...in fact some plants I am going to have to get a book out to ID !

Now for my sin (sins actually) .... planted all my beans today ( a tad early to bow hunt over at the leaf turn mid September) ....with a few weeds showing ....and even some green ...or at least yellow green grass ... I cannot believe I allowed myself to plant into a field not as clean as a pool table ....

But here is the deal ...rain has been killing us ..ground prep has been a nightmare ...weed/grass burn down next to impossible ...a day or two window and get something done ....finally put 3 days together and sprayed ...disc for the 3rd time the fields ....the ones with spots of yellow green grass (5"-) showing ...harrowed it ....and ...at age 70 ...I still love to work the land and watch it grow and watch the wildlife prosper from it ....

But I just don't enjoy working the land anymore when it's 85 or 95 degrees and 80% humidity ....so

Today was nice and cool ...good breeze ...fair amount of cloud cover and this old man decided to plant when it works for him instead of "by the book" ...me thinks the wildlife will like the slightly less plentiful buffet (yield) versus me having a bad heat event and the wildlife having no buffet at all

Just saying ...stay active ...do the things you have the passion for but just know ....doing mostly what you want in moderation is a whole lot better than fouling one's self up to where you can do nothing

Happy planting boys and girls and use your head out there!

Bear
69 years old here. My partner and I had an owners meeting last summer after working in back to back 90 degree high humidity days and decided there would be no more of that. I agree with everything you say. We are not growing food plots with harvest in mind so who cares if they have a few weeds or a thin spot or two. Here's to old age and wisdom.

What??? We have to slow down in late 60s? No way. I could work in 95 degree weather in my 20s why not now?
I have found i just need a shorter list!

What??? We have to slow down in late 60s? No way. I could work in 95 degree weather in my 20s why not now?
I have found i just need a shorter list!

There are things that happen (perhaps in payment for the sins of youth!) as we age that prevent us from going fast. I'll be 64 soon enough. I can't say I'm slow, but I'm not as fast as I once was. I guess I'm just half-fast now....

Well folks ...seems some of us are thinking alike ...the farm is my exercise as well as a passion ... though I do walk daily ...at 70 still nimble ...put my pants on standing up ...I have given up climber stands and replaced with a few ladder stands and ground blinds ...ground blinds I got onto during a shoulder surgery recovery ...the blinds are awesome ...wind direction becomes almost meaningless ...deer from 7 feet and on out... anyway ...early season good weather ladder stands or when they are on acorns ...bad weather ...blinds with a big grin! .... heck fire ...I even have swivel Texas Hunter chairs (which are on sale now) and a 5000btu heater ... yes ...I do it differently now ...just like giving in to food plotting to my needs and weather instead of it running me! YAHOooooo!

Bear

Back