Foodplotting In The Mountains...The Sequel

dogghr

And so it begins in earnest again. I didn't copy any but two posts from my thread of the demised forum. Like a divorce, I felt best to leave behind what was given in that relationship. I was lucky 7 years ago to search for some info that led me into a great wealth of knowledge on that forum. Certainly as with many on here, so much attributed to the late Paul Knox/ Lickcreek/LC. My thread began in 2011 to give a different view of land management. Most of what I was reading was great info, but I tired of everything being on mostly flat , fertile land. Those people are lucky. But for many there land was like mine and was less than idea soils, had only been managed for cattle, and had very little land that one's ATV or tractor didn't feel like it was about to tip over.

I also wanted to show that foodplots for deer could be done with minimal equipment and still get amazing results. My first plots were done with ATV and a bedspring and bag spreader. Those first two plots did well for 5+ years. As time went by, the thread progressed in a different way. I realized with many their frustration with everything from hunting success to happiness with their lands to jealousy of their neighbors. The thread while still focusing on landscape inprovements, tried to show that we should enjoy every aspect of our land and hunting, embracing, yet controlling the large and small , good and evil in the plant and animal community.

So anyways, I saved only the closing two posts of that thread because it embodies what I wanted to get across then, and hopefully in the future of The Sequel. When you start a motorcycle that has a kickstarter as you know, you must engage the piston and with one strong motion follow thru the kick to its end and the motor will start. So lets do the same here. Lets teach the world what fun land and animal management can be and how many different avenues it can follow. Remember the first pic that will show as it was done in 2010 as a throw and mow plot before the rage. We shall talk of it later.

Bear with me as I try to post those two final comments shown just a few days ago, and then we shall continue this journey if you choose to tag along. Thanks to everyone, trust me I've always read everyone's thread.

Last edited:
Allow me to close this thread with two final posts of my thoughts.

My dad always said, " the only thing you can be sure of is that nothing stays the same" . Hated that as a kid, damn he knew of what he spoke. I thought only fitting I show the very first pic I started this thread with in 2011. How much I have learned from every single poster on this forum. This mountain top would transition to a variety of planted and natural food sources over the following years thanks to all on here. My real sadness tho is for those thousands who will struggle to find so much info in such a small space posted by so many across this country in a very amicable fashion. Thank everyone so much.

Its been a fun interaction with all. But make no mistake, if you put your expectations in man and/or his organizations, you will be sorely disappointed. Remember that.
Attached Images
attachment.php

Epilogue. Two main things I hope you take with your from here. First, and I know you tire of me saying it, but remember the three F's: Faith, Family , and Friends. If you neglect fulfilling any of those your life will have a void you can seem never to fill. I know because I've tried in the past. Perhaps the powers that be in QDMA should think like wise.

And finally I hope you realize, that no matter your limitations on your land, that you can achieve amazing results with your efforts. I, as others, have proven that. And make sure you don't allow organizations ruin the fun of this sport called hunting. Take the deer you choose without guilt. Let your friends join in and enjoy the hunt. Hunt in ways that are not acceptable these days. Get out of the stand and go one on one with the deer. I promise you that smile will be wider than ever before. You see its not about the deer, but the companionship that comes with it.

Accept your land as an interaction of macro and micro plants and animals. Accept that all inter connect and even the tiniest mushroom is somehow dependant on the mighty oak and the oak on the mushroom. The prey interacts with the predator and all these relationships depend one on the other to complete the habitat that we strive for in a mature deer herd. Look close and learn. Stoop down and learn. Watch each animal and the niche they fill. Enjoy your land. Enjoy your life. We are a lucky people. Goodnight, and I'm sure I'll see many of you on the dark side of the moon. Very much appreciative, Doug

“The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant, "What good is it?" If the land mechanism as a whole is good, then every part is good, whether we understand it or not. If the biota, in the course of aeons, has built something we like but do not understand, then who but a fool would discard seemingly useless parts? To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering.”
― Aldo Leopold, Round River: From the Journals of Aldo Leopold
Attached Images
attachment.php

Ok, fun it is. I had an Aldo question on my test that went something like this. A good person feels good about doing right when it's legal and not doing what's wrong even if it is legal. I got that one right.

G

"Ok fun it is." I was ready to spill all about the, what ever and that's about it.

The function of this site is great.

And I'm not guilty of not paying up my dues. On the other hand I'm not guilty that I did pay up.

I said see ya pretty easy but as you and others have mentioned the losers will be the people that most need the information and are most readily seeking it.

Carry on.

G

Last edited:
That's good George. I'm still getting hang of this new tech .
2234fcab8189b3882b8651e0964e7dd4.jpg
But speaking of fun....I know I shouldn't have but it was so fun at the time, and I think legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just imagined I was in those mountains and took a deep breath of that air......ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I knew I could tug at your heart strings and get you posting again. ;)

I'm watching with anticipation....

Yea you did Native, I thot I'd just go the lazy way but not to be. Not sure where it takes us, but maybe some good learnings on the way. Great conglomeration/is that a word?/ of people on here. I've really enjoyed the fresh air. Now if I can get all this new tech figured I'll be alright. Takes me 8 hours just to clear the announcements on my mail and phone of posts on the site. Of course I kid. I'm luvin it.

That's good George. I'm still getting hang of this new tech .
2234fcab8189b3882b8651e0964e7dd4.jpg
But speaking of fun....I know I shouldn't have but it was so fun at the time, and I think legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya I've been winging arrows in to a block target 50 yards out my back yard against a stump. I wasn't sure if I was right or legal in the hood. So far the cops were only summonsed for some GnFR.

G

Thanks Fly. I have some left shoulder issues that has prevented much use last couple years. As you know you can't use them if you can't practice a lot. I was able to carry it last season some but didn't have any shooters within range with it. It's a Great Plains Rio Grande. I do love how it shoots and the grip is just perfect for me. Far cry from old performing recurves. So far this year I think I should be good using it this season. Hope to pop a groundhog or two with it this weekend. Since coyotes are MIA, groundhogs have become a nuisance again. It's kinda funny tho, shoot it but use graphite arrows with feather fletchs and then Hellraiser broadheads. Quite a mix of new and old.

One of the first threads that I started reading on entry into qdma forum was "Foodplotting in the Mountains" First lesson I learned was: Do all the work you want, use all the equipment you want for those plots and fields. Just know that what God and Mother Nature have put there is more beautiful and wildlife desirable than anything you can add. Here, I have pictures to prove it.
Thanks dogghr, for lessons in life. Please punch my "E" ticket for another ride.

Good to see someone local. Glad that I'm still able to follow and be inspired. Can definitely relate to not having nice flat land to work. Wouldn't have it any other way!

Glad to see you here dogg - place wouldn't be the same without you.

Seeing the recurve makes me want to break out the widow pretty soon. Egad, it is time to be practicing up. October 1st will be here before I know it!

Dog, its great to see your post. When I found the site that shall not be named, I read and reread your posts. They created the hope that I could do something with my pile or rocks (northern Catskills). Your love for all things in outdoor is infectious. Thanks for keeping it going!

I just imagined I was in those mountains and took a deep breath of that air......ahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I knew I could tug at your heart strings and get you posting again. ;)

I'm watching with anticipation....
Thanks Native for whatever you did to get him here. This site needs a naturalist and a man of reason, faith and wisdom. dogghr fits that bill like no other. dogghr... looking forward to following your journey on this site!

Thanks people. Feeling is mutual.

So back to that first pic I showed that I started the original thread. Not sure if any of you play golf, but it is an aggravating but addicting sport. Just when you begin to do things correctly, you somehow begin to over think and try to change something since in your mind it will only make you better. Usually it does not and messes up the achievements youve already made. So true with our management sometimes. Too much thinking and not enough observing. You see in that pic nice thick mature rye heading out, and underneath a mass of thick growing food. Guess how that was planted. Yup, I don't know how I came with idea, but previous fall I mowed,sprayed fescue, broadcast the LC mix of AWP, oats, WR, and RC. Added 19-19-19 and Ammon Nitrate then ran over it with my jeep to get compaction. IMG_6569B.jpg No tillage, no planter, just nice and simple, yet I failed to realize at that time how successful I had been. That year I would begin tillage like a real farmer and away I went for the next several years till it began to dawn on us to do planting with no tillage thus saving time and money and most important, the soil OM and nutrients. And had I simply paid attention, I had gotten the foodplot I wanted and couldv'e saved the money on the tiller. Stop. Look. Learn what nature is trying to teach. I am so stubborn.

I did get a nice plot that fall however with the brassica mix I tilled in as you can see, but I'll show later, I couldve had the same thing without tilling.

Last edited:
By the way, here is that first clover plot I planted with just a ATV and bedsring. Planted with WC, RC, and WW. This pic was from its 3rd year. Who needs a tractor? Bedsprings can be used for more than one thing. Easy or hard. Our choice.IMG_1875B.jpg

A few quick pics and thots. I would be remis if I didn't give a shout for the good people of this country. Many of you saw some of the pics I showed before from the flooding/destruction/death that occurred a month ago in areas that received 10 in of rain in a day. So much bad is always shown by the media, that even I was surprised at the outpouring of support. From some on this forum making donations, to help sent from Cali to Fl, from Univ of Alabama/whose coach is WV, Fl State U/another WV coach/, LSU/another WV coach/, hands on help from New Orleans Saints that have their fall camp here, to the guy who flew from England to help, even paying motel room bills for the homeless, to the company I do business with in Phoenix donating supplies, to multlple groups from KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, LA , AL, OH,PA,VA, IN, and I"M sure many others I know nothing about, that traveled on their own time and money to bury into the mud and filth to help those they didn't even know.

Don't take what is thrown to us by the constantly depressing media that this country is full of non caring people. You just have look in the right places. Thanks to all from me personally.IMG_2760.JPG

Don't take my plotting descriptions of not approving of tillage. I'm ok if thats how you want to do it. I still do in situations. What I try to show, is alternatives that can be easier on the soil, easier to plant, and easier on the pocketbook. I just show, I place no blame whatsoever trust me.
But I do know, plots are but a small but fun part of managing deer. For the most part dollar for dollar, management of you natural browse will give you the best results.
See how the deer have kept this redoak from resprouting for three years now? You wonder why such invasives as MFR take over your logging or fields. Its not that its predominate, its that your deer chow down on every sprout of good tree that tries to take root. We live in a lot of places that the deer numbers are simply higher than the land can maintain, Yes thats what we want, but don't get bent out of shape when our forests are in disaray from the overbrowsing that occurs. Don' believe me? Cage in a 30x30 area within your woods for three years. Then come back and give me the answer. I have and its right scary.IMG_0002B.jpg

Back