Florida Plantation

After years of wanting one, finally ordered a post hole digger and some forks that attach to the tractor bucket--great price, free shipping (Titan www.palletforks.com). Arrived on Friday while I was home with contractors working on the house. Grabbed the tractor Saturday morning and put together the PHD. After an hour drive, time to put in some work digging holes and reusing some snapped off telephone poles I scavenged! I was even able to roll up 700' of old fence wire and push it around. Late start, but got a lot done...home by 7pm.

Crush and roll! Worked out better than I hoped:
reduced wire pile.jpg
The old cable gate was part of the old front fenceline. Wanted something more secure while the new fence is put in:
reduced before pic.jpg

This was the only hole I dug crooked. This a reclaimed gate post that I pulled out a few weeks ago:
reduced setting posts.jpg

About 4 hours later. The galvanized gate is reclaimed and just wired there for additional security.
reduced done.jpg

It was time to head home, but sunk in a 14' pole to mount a skinning hoist on before I left.
reduced skinning pole.jpg

You are so right. Between my shoulders and my back, my manual digging is on the decline for sure. I keep going back and forth on whether to put in all 90 front fence poles myself or just hire it out. If I was still 30, or even 40 years old, it wouldn't even be a question...but the heat gets to me quicker now and it's not really a one-man job. Those 8" poles are heavy, but I sure like the looks of them!

Switching back to my primary residence and Hurricane Michael repairs. So, my old tile roof was 28 years old and survived multiple major storms to include Category 5 Michael in October last year....but it was no match for the AT forklift.

reduced forklift.jpg

Hole repaired and getting close!
reduced 75 percent.JPG

Roof on house is done! One more step to recovery complete.

Had nice cold front come through Friday, so we headed to the farm to clear some more fenceline yesterday. Did about 150 yds of thick stuff before the chain got dull on the saw and my back gave out. I estimate I got about 200 yds left on the East side and about the same on the West side, then it can be maintained with spraying. Pond excavation and road building was supposed to start, but it's delayed.

Here is the final product. Roof is done! I painted the fascia board on Easter Sunday, finished the last few feet as the family was driving up. Showered and sat right down to a Easter ham dinner.
reduced Roof Done, 19 April 2019.jpg

And finally after 16 months, got a picture of a couple of turkeys on my farm. I think they are in there after the clover...which is sparse because I top seeded it after discing in the rye seed and didn't have time to drag it off...it was 8pm and very dark when I seeded it!:
reduced IMG_0111.jpg

Well boys, been a few months, so here's a little update. Still working on the house from Hurricane Michael. Had 18 new Low-E argon windows put in the house this week. We're almost done. Just have some carpet that needs installing that we paid for back in March!

Just back from Northeast PA to watch my son graduate high school, then a quick trip to Virginia to see my folks. I hate the travel days but it was good to get away from all that's happened here since the hurricane. Nice to see trees again!

Spent about 6 hours yesterday repairing some holes in the East fenceline due to a dozer making a fire break and some intentionally cutting by someone before I bought the property. It was 94 degrees, but really not that bad in the shade. Got a two 25' patches and a 12' patch put in with some new Red Brand fence wire...man a 330' roll is HEAVY! The perimeter is really starting to look good. Lots more fencing to get it the way I want it, but I'm much closer to being secure from dogs. Was a dry May, but the bahia grass, chicory and some clover survived. Might put in an acre of Iron Clay Peas in July...just depends on what I feel like doing in the heat.

Zero progress on my punch list due to my dozer man too busy to get to me. His prices are so good that I just have to wait him out.

In the fenceline picture, you can see the white rope coming across and holding up the Oak I stood back up after the hurricane!

reduced IMG_9548.jpg reduced IMG_9550.jpg reduced IMG_9551.jpg

Happy to report that 8+ months after Hurricane Michael, my house is finally done. I will say I'm in the minority though as most people I know are living in the "good parts" of their house, living in an RV, or renting during repairs.

After about 8 hours yesterday, I'm also happy to report the 1260' East fenceline is cleared and patched. I also put a 30' patch on the South fenceline I cleared last year. I can't believe how long this takes! Hopefully, that will keep the 3 neighbors dogs of my property.

Herd looks healthy and the bucks are starting to bud out. After 1 week with no rain, the ICPs are popping while the clover is struggling to stay alive.

reduced ICPs 29JAN19.jpg reduced IMG_9619.jpg reduced IMG_0570.jpg

Man it's hot....mid to upper 90s for the long 4th weekend. Got some cleth sprayed on my clover plots on Friday and worked a little bit of fenceline today. Got through one tank of gas in the Stihl brush cutter and had to tap out with the 107 heat index. Cooled down, had a Red Bull and then patched one hole in the fence. This stuff is going to have to wait for some cooler weather!! ICPs are looking good with just a little nipping.

reduced spray 6 July 2019.jpg reduced 6 July 2019.jpg

Hot summer continues. Sprayed some 2-4D in my 1 year old and 3 month old bahia grass pasture. And sprayed the fenceline with a hot mix of gly. Only a couple of doves flying about, but I did see 3 quail while riding the perimeter checking cams. Dogs are still on cam...can't wait until I get my perimeter secure!

Iron clay peas coming in nicely on the right side of bahia that was planted this spring...I hit those broadleaves with 2-4D.

reduced 2019 Jul 21 ICPs.jpg

In this pic, you can really see the height of the bahia planted last August. It could use some Nitrogen to green it up a bit in spots. Trying to purchase a finish mower so I can keep it cut shorter than with a bush hog.

reduced 2019 Jul 21.jpg

Decided I needed a finish mower, so after numerous back and forths with a guy on Craigslist over the past 2 weeks, met him at his house with my tractor on a trailer to pick it up. It was a Siltrex 6' for a decent price, but hadn't been used in years and I actually broke off a bolt holding on the belt cover if that tells you anything! Hard pass!! But since I had the Kubota loaded, made the 1 hour trek North and mowed with my trusty 10 year old abused King Kutter! Went slow to get a "clean" cut on the bahia, but you know that's impossible with a "hog". Temps in the 90s but a hint of dry air and a slight breeze so it wasn't bad at all.

reduced 2019 Jul 28 mowing (2).jpg

Like reading this to remind me that no matter how hot, dry, and humid it gets in northeast Georgia, there are worse places for a fat boy.

August is here...so that means more heat, more humidity. Staking off the house and shed area was about all we could do in the 100+ heat.
Finally got my land clearing guy to make it out to the property yesterday for an estimate on the pond and then moving the fill dirt around to fill in low areas and site prep the house and shed. Sticker shock! We called another company for a second estimate as it was double what we were expecting.

Rain keeps missing my 20 acres, but Iron Clays are doing well and getting browsed hard. Bucks are about 1/2 done growing bone and fawns should drop any day now. 1 acre back clover/chicory plot is largely weeds...wish I had put it in ICPs, but too much heat...too little time.

Back fenceline has met my expectations! Really like how it turned out.....good bahia established for erosion control so should just be mowing required in the future.

2019 Aug 15 (1).JPG Fenceline rear Before After, 2019 Aug.jpg

Nice.

When did you plant the ICP's? We haven't tried those yet but I hear from everyone that they are the best thing for our area.
I put out a bunch of seed we had left over from years gone by to see if anything works. I do think I am going to put out some Bahia next Fall or Spring and that stuff grows just about everywhere.

I planted these mid-June but you can plant as late as into July. The problem with ICPs is that you need low deer numbers or large acreage because one nip and they are gone. Luckily the herd here lets them get bigger before they start on them, but on my leased property I can't get a 3 acre plot to make it.

I don't know if deer will graze bahia, but goats will, so maybe. I planted it for soil erosion and to establish my pastures years before I build our new house, so at least they will be done!

In other news, I secured the dirt work for the pond, road, front fence, house and shed site. We should start digging in 2 weeks. Meet with the power company tomorrow for an estimate on electric and got a line on some asphalt millings for the top coat of the driveway. Finally feel like we are making forward progress!

I planted these mid-June but you can plant as late as into July. The problem with ICPs is that you need low deer numbers or large acreage because one nip and they are gone. Luckily the herd here lets them get bigger before they start on them, but on my leased property I can't get a 3 acre plot to make it.

I don't know if deer will graze bahia, but goats will, so maybe. I planted it for soil erosion and to establish my pastures years before I build our new house, so at least they will be done!

In other news, I secured the dirt work for the pond, road, front fence, house and shed site. We should start digging in 2 weeks. Meet with the power company tomorrow for an estimate on electric and got a line on some asphalt millings for the top coat of the driveway. Finally feel like we are making forward progress!

That's what the put along the roads due to it being a Natural Florida Grass. I see Deer eating there at nights all the time, so I'd think they would unless there is just so much of it in the area it doesn't attract them to it.

Had some free time so why not tractor in the 105 heat index?! Wanted to get the pond area knocked down, so put in 5 hours on the Kubota yesterday....Weeds were thick on this 1 acre and the trees were over 10' tall. Old trusty bushog ground it all up like she always does. Had to pause about 4 times and let the tractor cool down. Made it home, rinsed tractor and took it back to storage in time to go get some sushi. A good day!

Looking South into our 20 acres from the paved road:

2019 Aug 23 Pond (before after) DF.jpg

Looking North to the paved road:

2019 Aug 23 Pond (before after).JPG

You have a great looking place and have done a ton of work. I do have to ask, what is your key goal for this property? I have noticed you have done a ton of clearing and brush removal. Will this help the deer hunting? Or is more aesthetic for you future homesite? With 20 acres I could see the hunting being tough with limited cover. That being said I also don’t hunt Florida so maybe those deer don’t mind the openness of the fields? Looks great btw. Can’t believe how much you get done in that heat!

Back