Florida Plantation

It's only an hour drive from my house in Panama City, so I just go up there for day trips. I haven't yet made it up there for a morning hunt....for some reason, I don't mind the 50 minute drive to my lease, but I'm unmotivated for the 1hr 5 minute ride to my farm at 0400. Plus I'm torn about shooting another deer when I've got 3 in the freezer. Our adult kids would definitely use the extra ground and pan sausage, but I don't know that I want to fool with all the work for them! It will definitely be a game time decision this Saturday!

Well, I decided to get up at 0400 and make the trek to the land yesterday. Drive wasn't bad and I was settled in the blind by 0530 so it wasn't really that much different from my lease time-wise. Couple of dogs came through the plot early, so that's a problem. Then a back neighbor a few parcels over starts shooting. About 0830, a spike comes in and doesn't care about the shooting or the dogs barking....fed a little then left. So I at least saw a deer on my first official sit...I think the rut is largely over in that area. Deer activity is way down on my property.

I spent the rest of the morning cutting down leaner trees and general thinning of thick pine patches until my back gave out. So much work to do, so little time....

"So much work to do, so little time..." So,so true. I enjoy following along. Florida is so hugely different than here; to me Florida lands that I have seen really looks jungle like meaning that cover is seemingly just about everywhere. Here cover is rare and thus it draws the deer if one has it.

"So much work to do, so little time..." So,so true. I enjoy following along. Florida is so hugely different than here; to me Florida lands that I have seen really looks jungle like meaning that cover is seemingly just about everywhere. Here cover is rare and thus it draws the deer if one has it.

We are not lacking for thick stuff....year round warmth and plenty of rain keeps it growing. I got an estimate to put in a front fence across the 720' or so of roadside...$3400. 6" poles pounded in with "goat" wire. Funnel and 16' gate would be extra. That's after I remove the old fence and have my dozer guy rake and level it. Nothing's cheap!

I don't see where I posted the new Google imagery overhead...this is post-hurricane in October and pre-fall planting in November. All open areas are since we bought it a year ago--not as "squared off" as I planned. We didn't measure...just told the dozer to go until we said stop! All of it is planted in something now (grains, clover, chicory, or bahia grass).

Before and After, Feb 2019.jpg

Didn't make it up to the property this weekend, but I did get new bars and chains for the Stihls....so I'm ready.

I was trying to put one of my leasemates on this toad yesterday, but Ol 7pt didn't cooperate:
reduced End of January (7).jpg

Last weekend of the gun season but it was too warm to sit, so we loaded up 3 chainsaws and headed to the property. The goal was to severely prune an old pear tree, and clean out around it so that it got more daylight. I brought a 16' extension ladder to prune the surrounding oaks. The little saw had a bigger bar and aggressive chain and it was struggling for power, but it did fine until I thought an iron bar was a sapling. Grabbed the middle saw with a brand new bar and chain and it was eating a locust, then quit making power (carb must be clogged). So I had to grab the Farm Boss....that is not a limbing saw! Wore me out. While moving brush, my wife pulled her hip out of socket and was down for the count early in the game. We also pulled 2 10' cedar trees upright that were leaning from the hurricane with ratchet straps and staked them off with 550 cord so they will hopefully grow straight again.

Before....the pear tree is behind the double oak in the center of the picture:
IMG_8787.JPG

After 3.5 hours of chainsawing. Pile of brush to the right. Stacked limbs are all pear limbs.
IMG_8788.JPG
Brought some pear limbs home to dry for smoking meat
IMG_8790.JPG

Sometimes we are not sure if we are on the right track. Made some very radical changes to the property in one year and not sure if mature bucks would continue to use it or how the rut would go. I think this answers some of those questions.
reduced chasing.jpg

And an updated shot of the view we will have when we build. The rye is starting to head out.
view 17FEB19.JPG

Fantastic view!! You are doing well with that sandy soil. Those roots must be finding some nutrients.
Good luck with the old pear tree. That is my goal some day.....to have a bunch of pear trees producing those Ol' Timer bell shaped pears all over the Bull Pen and Mandy Hollow

Took the day off of work Friday because the weather was perfect. 40s in the morning. 70s by the afternoon. Put a new carb on my 180c Stihl....$32 from ebay...saw runs like new. Did about 6hrs of chainsaw work on the back fenceline. It's about 700', and I had about 200' left from last spring. It was thick and nasty, but I got it all done and started a little on the East fenceline but ran out of energy.

Pear tree is blooming. It will take several year to get it pruned back, but I think daylighting it is really going to help.
reduced pear tree, 9MAR19.jpg

Before I started yesterday, none of these fence posts were visible.
reduced back fence clearing 9MAR19.jpg

And the house view....the rye is 3' tall or more and heading out.
reduced house view, 9MAR19.jpg

Really coming along great!

Got to admit I'm a little bit jealous of what you have been able to do there (well ok maybe a bit more than a little!).

It is amazing just how quickly things grow here in Florida. Those fence posts were probably there for years without anyone knowing it.

Thanks. We're excited about our future in the country. I've got a list of things I want to get done this year.

My 2019 list:
1) Dig the depression out and make a nice fishing/wood duck pond. Use the fill to build an elevate road to the house.
2) Level off the future house and barn pad.
3) Establish all tilled land with bahia grass except the food plot.
4) Work the perimeter road system, then lime and establish grass for erosion control.
5) Install fencing along the 700' paved side. 8" posts at 8' spacing with 4' woven goat wire. Reclaim the T-posts that are there and use where needed on the perimeter.
6) Install a 32' funnel on each side of road terminating into a 16 or 20' gate. Future will be a wrought iron gate with solar opener.
7) Clear the entire perimeter fence of brush and patch the holes for now. Refence in the future.
8) Have Gulf Power run electric
9) Have a well dug
10) Put in a septic system, or at least plan for it.
11) Put in an elevated stand in the back corner on the buck path.

As I type it all out, I realize it's very ambitious especially considering we are still recovering with our house from Hurricane Michael! Not sure how far I will get, but I will continue to post up as I go.

We had this eagle carved from a piece of pine downed by the Hurricane by a local chainsaw carver. Gonna look great on our country porch!
Reduced eagle and car, MAR19.jpg

Very nice Eagle.

Yes that’s quite a list. Just don’t get so caught up in everything needs to get done or it can go from Fun to Work real quick.

Yup got caught in that trap last year.

#3 on my checklist = DONE! #5 started.

Well boys, the weather was perfect this week....lows in 40s, highs in 60s, so I took Friday off to mow down my rye and get about 4 acres of bahia planted. Once this is established, this will greatly reduce the amount of tilling and planting I do on the property. I put it all in rye for a cover crop and erosion control...once the bahia establishes, I'll try to get it made into hay if for nothing else, just to see the cool hay bales on the property!

As usually, everything takes longer than anticipated, so I ended putting 8.5hrs on the Kubota mowing and discing on Friday and came back on Saturday to plant. With bahia at $250 per 50#, I wanted it spread even and perfectly, so I had to walk the 4 acres twice....once to spread the nurse crop brown top millet, and again to spread the bahia with the Solo spreader. The plan was to cultipack it in, but I didn't like how that was turning out, so I switched to a weighted chain link drag instead. Took about 20 hrs total, but it's done! Wife came out for a couple of hours and we pulled up about 50 T-posts in preparation of a new front fence. Some of them were in so solid that it tipped the tractor forward lifting them up.

reduced starting the day.jpg reduced rye mow.jpg reduced mowed.jpg reduced tilled.jpg reduced posts.jpg

Good work! I have pulled up many a T post. I learned to keep chain in middle. Amazing how quickly one can tilt the tractor!
I dont think you'll have to make a list next year.....ha this one will still be good

Good work! I have pulled up many a T post. I learned to keep chain in middle. Amazing how quickly one can tilt the tractor!
I dont think you'll have to make a list next year.....ha this one will still be good

We had some touch and go moments. Some we had to put the chain at the very bottom of the post, then I would ease forward and backward to loosen the post while keeping steady upward pressure with the hydraulics. It's so easy to maneuver with HST...couldn't imagine doing it with a geared tractor.

Been a really cool March temperature-wise, so I was itching to work some more fenceline this week but got a call Tuesday night that my roof materials came in. So 6 months after Hurricane Michael, my roof replacement has started! Happy day.

We had some touch and go moments. Some we had to put the chain at the very bottom of the post, then I would ease forward and backward to loosen the post while keeping steady upward pressure with the hydraulics. It's so easy to maneuver with HST...couldn't imagine doing it with a geared tractor.

Been a really cool March temperature-wise, so I was itching to work some more fenceline this week but got a call Tuesday night that my roof materials came in. So 6 months after Hurricane Michael, my roof replacement has started! Happy day.
Are you installing the roof yourself or getting a volunteer crew in?

They use that pitchfork type of tool to pop up the old underlayment. In my case, it's rolled roofing under concrete tile, but in houses with asphalt shingles, it's felt paper. They use it for prying off fascia boards and lifting decking too. My house had a weird 2-stage fascia that we actually had to cut down a few inches, then remove 22" of sheathing, and put down a 24" piece in its place to have the sheathing meet the back of the fascia so there would be something solid to attach the drip edge. It's all dried in now....a 1-day job that took 2.5 days for a crew of 7. They worked from 630am to 7pm!

My roof estimates came in between $60K - $85K because it's a "Spanish" tile roof. Standard asphalt roof is $30K-$40K. I've got great insurance, so they let me pick whatever installer I want. Lotta shady roofing jobs happening around here, but I think I got a solid crew. I'm happy so far....the actual concrete tiles go on next week.....they were on a 16 week backorder from Boral in Texas. After the roof, we are replacing all 21 windows in the house and having the back windows tinted because all the trees are gone and it's already hot with all that sun beaming in! Then we are largely done....it's been a long 6 months to recover, but we can see the finish line.

There are definitely people in need around here and folks like your friends and Samaritan's Purse are doing God's work in helping out, but I am very fortunate in life, so I don't need the charity. Prefer it goes to those in need. My neighbor across the street had her house completely demolished, to include the concrete slab, by Samaritan's Purse and I was livid because she has insurance and the means to do it herself. I feel that is taking advantage.

My old roof. Putting in some more fruit trees in the backyard. We lost over a million trees in Panama City which equates to 90% of our canopy...and that's just the "city"...billions of $$ in timber was lost:
reduced Fruit trees, Mar19.jpg

Hauling off the big pine tree...they wanted $200 to haul it off...no thanks!

reduced IMG_8892.jpg
One of 8 house in the neighborhood that is completely demolished:
reduced IMG_8982.jpg
Paid $250 to have this damaged pine taken down. Our Brittany is pointing a squirrel:

reduced last tree IMG_8797.jpg
After the pine was taken down, I chopped it up into manageable pieces and slabbed out some to build some tables later on in life:

reduced IMG_8801.jpg

Last edited:
Back