First Time Grafting Report - Oh My

Enjoying the ride along. Always something to learn from everyone. My apple grafts are at 2-3 weeks right now and they are either swelling buds or showing green. I will start persimmon next week while turkey hunting and im excited to get started with some of the scionwood folks here have shared.

Don't forget about bud grafting. I find it to be extremely effective, and simple. Also, you can perform it as late as June or July and make many attempts on a single tree.

Don't forget about bud grafting. I find it to be extremely effective, and simple. Also, you can perform it as late as June or July and make many attempts on a single tree.

Are you talking about t budding? I did mine last year in mid August with good results.

I need to get some photos of the pear grafts. Round One I did all bark grafts and some of them now have top growth. Moving all of the pear to the Green House was a wise decision. The temps got things stirred up.

The bark grafts that I knew didn't make it - were cleft grafted.

To summarize - I learned a great deal. I feel good about the process now - getting some mistakes behind you helps in most endeavors.

I have some persimmons on the farm that are now ready to be grafted - on my first trip, many had not yet broken bud. I will get a chance to put more DogDoc Okie Scions to use.

Wayne

Update - Poor Results This Year

I grafted 7 persimmon trees - 3 have top growth and 4 don't. I will mark the persimmon trees with yellow or orange paint that will be grafted next year. My flagging tape didn't make it thru the winter. Not a good report card but the best of my attempts. DogDoc thanks for the scions.

I grafted 12 pear tree rootstock. Native Hunter was generous with his scions. Thanks Steve - sorry I don't have better results. I have one out of twelve with a successful graft. This is pitiful results. I had green buds on about 7 graphs, but the graft didn't feed them. The scions have some energy but my hope soon turned to disappointment. Next year I will graft the other 11 rootstock.

I am not buying a pear tree yet. That would be a surrender the way I look at it.

Devil is in the details and I flunked this time. Can't say humble pie taste very good but I am honest and think learning from our failure is part of this habitat stuff.

Wayne

All 12 have leaves below the graft at the current time.

One of the 12 is excellent shape with good leaves above the graph today.

Of the others, a few good small leaves then die. A few has green buds that broke, then fizzled out. I was getting hopeful and then we turned south.

Wayne

If some look dried up but still green leave one nurse branch from the rootstock but watch the scion. I had one this year do that and then almost 4-5 weeks after grafting it decided to grow. It's behind g the rest but still growing.

The other option and what I think is the easiest option is to tbud this August. Especially if you can find a few trees local to collect the scion wood from.

Wayne keep at it. Always a learning curve to any new adventure. As Neahawg mentioned I wouldnt give up completely on the other 11 yet, I always have a few do that every year. Sounds like for the most part though that your cuts were likely not tight enough on the grafts. The scions used the energy stored in them before the was a connection formed between the scion and the root stock.

Wayne keep at it. Always a learning curve to any new adventure. As Neahawg mentioned I wouldnt give up completely on the other 11 yet, I always have a few do that every year. Sounds like for the most part though that your cuts were likely not tight enough on the grafts. The scions used the energy stored in them before the was a connection formed between the scion and the root stock.

Thanks Turkey Creek. I am not giving up but I made too many mistakes. I imagine I should have used electrical tape to get a better / tighter graft. All of the pear rootstock is healthy putting on green growth below the grafts.

I do believe I have a responsibility to talk about my goofs - so others can learn from them. I have success with chestnuts and when a person tries something else but does not talk about it much - they are holding out their goofs.

I am going to get some pear root stock next year and graft those plus the 11 from this time. I still have the 11 potted up and water them when my chestnuts get watered.

I appreciate your encouragement. I think next spring I am going to take my shed dog to see Native Hunter or Neahawg & Merle and hunt some shed antlers and get a graphing lesson first hand. I just read and listened and then jumped in. So I will get a better approach next time.

Wayne

Wayne, glad some of the persimmons took. You can always harvest some scions from them next year or I can send you more next year.
As far as your pears, it's a learning curve. Before I did my first real grafts I watched tons of videos and practiced 100's of graft cuts off my maple tree in my front yard. Lets just say I went through a lot of bandaids. All I can say is practice, practice, and then practice some more.

Wayne your always welcome to come up! And if you need some scion next year let me know I've got a lot of pear varieties now.

Wayne your always welcome to come up! And if you need some scion next year let me know I've got a lot of pear varieties now.
I could be in your area and then travel to the Springfield, MO area. My dog and I will be shed hunting out of state a good deal. You got land we could find a bone or two. Merle and your grafting has impressed me repeatedly. I will do what is necessary to get the taste of humble pie out of my mouth. Uggg

Thanks
Wayne

I could be in your area and then travel to the Springfield, MO area. My dog and I will be shed hunting out of state a good deal. You got land we could find a bone or two. Merle and your grafting has impressed me repeatedly. I will do what is necessary to get the taste of humble pie out of my mouth. Uggg

Thanks
Wayne
Sounds good Wayne. We can get you some plum sprouts also if you like and any scions you want too.
Plus I'll make lunch, if you don't like things spicy give me a heads up lol!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Back