First Time Grafting Report - Oh My

When you regraft them leave at least one nurse branch but tie it down to make a 90 degree angle so it's still picking energy up the to the scion.

Well I have jumped back in. I have good news - 4 of the 12 had green growth at the buds so I am feeling a bit better about my initial efforts. A fifth one I have faith in that is going to make it - so I bet on that one.

Got 2 Senator Clark from Native Hunter One a Bark and One a Cleft
Got 2 Ms. Lanee from Native Hunter One a Bark and One a Cleft
Got 2 Hunter's Choice from Native Hunter One a Bark and One a Cleft
Got 2 Gates from Native Hunter Both are Cleft
Got 2 Orient from DogDoc and One Bark and One Cleft (the Bark may make it - Am Giving it a Chance)
Had 2 Galloway from Native Hunter One Bark Made It and the Other Didn't It is Now Ayers from Native Hunter Cleft Graph

I used flaggin tape - that is what Dudley at Nativ Nursery uses. I had already grafted before I read DogDoc and Neahawg pointing out the advantage of electrical tape.

All 12 are in the Greenhouse and have been watered good.

So I had 4 of 12 make it with me betting on the 5th one. Basement was too cool and not a strong enough light. I hope that the greenhouse wakes up the 5 bark grafts real good as they are older. The 7 cleft graphs should do well based upon what yall know and I have read elsewhere.

I have a video that I will see if I can load it for folks to view.

Wayne

Sounding awesome Wayne! Honestly being an experimental grafter is pretty fun and the wins will out pace the losses in the long run.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Things I have learned. 1) Next year I will get more rootstock but put them in larger pots. 2) I don't graft until the rootstock has top growth.
3) The size of the rootstock and scion means Cleft graph with one or two being used based upon size of stock vs scion. 4) Get them in the Greenhouse for more favorable Temps. 5) Electrical Tape is better to get a cohesions on the scion and stock. 6) Study up more than I did this time.

My current goals are for 10 out of 12 to be successful.

One important point I learned - take care of the rootstock because you can graft a second time if at first you don't get green top growth.

Also, once again, it is clear that the folks that hang out on this forum are the best kind of friends this free world has to offer. ;)

Wayne

You can also use plumbers tape, I use parafilm for my w&t grafts and a plastic grafting tape for clefts.

Neahawg when you say plumbers tape - is that what I call white Teflon tape to help stop leaks?

Wayne

Yeah I've used it before and it work pretty good. I really like the plastic grafters tape when doing clefts because it stretches, but there is no adhesive to worry about.

Thanks for the video. I guess I will seal the top of any cuts I overlooked.

Never thought about patents before.

Wayne

Here is a pic of my grafts. I normally put a little Elmer's glue to seal the top. Also I use a cheap Walmart sandwich bag to tie above and below the graft union with at least two buds exposed above the top of the bag.

This makes a many greenhouse that helps keep the graft union from drying out.
893d9a3f3dc06313fa52a9f5ef5d6467.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So how many grafts do you do in the average year Neahawg?

Even though I have struggled, I am going to enjoy adding fruit trees each year. In the past I have planted pear trees in groups of six and that has worked very well. If these 12 make it, that will double my count of 12 to 24.

Next year I will try 24 rootstock to move me 48 pear trees on 220 acres - add my chestnut trees to that and I am going to leave some good habitat for my son and grandkids to enjoy.

Thanks for your leadership.

Wayne

I don't do a lot this is my biggest year at 15. Merle is the one that is actually good at it, if I know anything it's because he showed me.

We grafted a total of around 60 this year and of those I did 15 he did the rest.

I have also found apples to be easier to make smooth cuts and even a little more forgiving when compared to pears. I grafted 25 pear seedling and have had to regraft 4 so far. Did 9 apples and they have all taken - 1 honeycrisp is still just a little questionable.

Yeah, with some of the disease resistant varieties you should graft 10 apples or so next year.

With all the disease resistant varieties available now you could get some nice trees.

Wayne, in case you were wondering, you can't graft those cherokee purple tomatoes onto a persimmon tree!

Wayne, in case you were wondering, you can't graft those cherokee purple tomatoes onto a persimmon tree!
Well Heck you ole' War Eagle, you should of told me that before I broke bark earlier this week.

Seriously, I have many tomato seedlings about 2 inches talk in clear solo cups that need to be move to their next containers. I think I had 11 solo cups and 9 are full of seedlings and 2 were shutouts.

It appears tomatoes are like pears - if you have a black thumb - you can still grow tomatoes.

I had some grafting video but this forum don't like my video format. I will take some photos.

Wayne

Here is a pic of my grafts. I normally put a little Elmer's glue to seal the top. Also I use a cheap Walmart sandwich bag to tie above and below the graft union with at least two buds exposed above the top of the bag.

This makes a many greenhouse that helps keep the graft union from drying out.
893d9a3f3dc06313fa52a9f5ef5d6467.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Like the idea of Elmer's glue! Easy to use and easy to clean up.

Back