fertilizer for no-till food plots

I didn't establish the price for drilling my two acres of food plots. I was sent an invoice for $650/Acre. This seems high for SE Ohio (Meig's county, OH). I paid since I didn't agree on a rate but I this is why I will convert to clover plot next year. What would you consider a standard rate?
This is the reason that I neither own or rent a drill. I just can’t justify the cost for a few food plots. I’d like to but I can’t. I saw a rather inexpensive drill talked about on another forum and I looked it up. Less than $7K for a 6’ drill, three point hitch. If it’s quality, that’s a really good deal. I admit I looked at it pretty hard, but I didn’t try to find any reviews. All of them that I saw for sale were a good ways from me. This isn’t farmland and drills are few and far between.

Last edited:
This is the reason that I neither own or rent a drill. I just can’t justify the cost for a few food plots. I’d like to but I can’t. I saw a rather inexpensive drill talked about on another forum and I looked it up. Less than $7K for a 6’ drill, three point hitch. If it’s quality, that’s a relly good deal. I admit I looked at it pretty hard, but I didn’t try to find any reviews. All of them that I saw for sale were a good ways from me. This isn’t farmland and drills are few and far between.
The OP's price got me thinking. While $650 seems high, it's probably not horribly unrealistic. It's likely very inefficient to drill ONLY 2.5 acres. Let's think about costs.

Seed cost
Seed purchasing time
Travel time (load/unload/mileage)
Drill calibration - two custom blends will take time to dial in
Planting time
+whatever I'm forgetting

You've likely paid for half a days worth of labor, even though it's likely quick to plant such a small area.

You don't have to go with only clover. Look into the throw and mow process talked about here and elsewhere.

Thanks. The travel time was in addition to the cost per acre and I provided the seed. The drill time was about 3 hours. What is the name of the thread for the throw and mow process?

Back