Our First Attempt at a Food Plot (South Oklahoma)

justaguy

I've been lurking here for several months, trying to learn as much as I can.

We cleared a small area (1/2 acre) of our property a few months ago to try our hand at food plots. During most of the year, we have tons of deer, but they complete leave us in the winter because we do not have anything for them to eat. We have water and bedding, but nothing green. Once we feel confident in our ability to maintain food plots, we have 2 more areas that we want to plant. One is 1.5 acres, and the other is about 3 acres.

After clearing the area, we added nitrogen and phosphorus based on the soils test results. We then did a light till and then planted 75 pounds of buckwheat.

The buckwheat is growing pretty well, and it's a little over 2 feet tall now. There are a few small areas where it didn't take, but I'd say we have about 80% solid buckwheat on the half acre.
IMG_4077s.jpg

My questions are on timing. When do I terminate this crop in order to plant the second buckwheat crop? And following that up, when should I terminate the second round to plant the fall plot?

As for the fall plot, we were looking to keep it simple -- either WW or WR.

Hopefully we are on the right track and aren't getting jammed up somehow on timing.

Thanks a ton for your help.

First, welcome to the forum ! Lots of guys here with lots of knowledge and they don’t mind helping. I feel mostly qualified to answer your questions because we are in the same general part of the world, and I raise buckwheat too. On the timing, whenever your buckwheat heads out and the seeds are mature enough to be viable you can “second crop” it. Whether it’s successful or not might depend on the moisture you get. That’s usually my problem ! It’s normally dry and hot here by the time the seed heads are “ripe”. As for the manner in which to accomplish this, I mow it, lightly disc with the discs pretty straight, and drag it with a tire drag. (I’d like to emphasize the “lightly”. I only disc enough to create some shallow grooves for the seeds to fall in). I’ve only had success a couple times though because the hogs usually find mine and destroy it before I can do anything with it. Good luck !

I usually don’t have to terminate it to plant my WW, the hot weather does that. I just plant in September when it looks like I’ll get some moisture no matter what the buckwheat looks like.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Looks like we are pretty close. My place is in the southern part of Love county. Buckwheat is looking good! I don’t have much insight, I haven’t really given it a chance yet. I just wanted to say hello

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to the forum. Looks like we are pretty close. My place is in the southern part of Love county. Buckwheat is looking good! I don’t have much insight, I haven’t really given it a chance yet. I just wanted to say hello

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
We're very close! We (my brother and I) live in DFW, and our place is in southern Love County.

First, welcome to the forum ! Lots of guys here with lots of knowledge and they don’t mind helping. I feel mostly qualified to answer your questions because we are in the same general part of the world, and I raise buckwheat too. On the timing, whenever your buckwheat heads out and the seeds are mature enough to be viable you can “second crop” it. Whether it’s successful or not might depend on the moisture you get. That’s usually my problem ! It’s normally dry and hot here by the time the seed heads are “ripe”. As for the manner in which to accomplish this, I mow it, lightly disc with the discs pretty straight, and drag it with a tire drag. (I’d like to emphasize the “lightly”. I only disc enough to create some shallow grooves for the seeds to fall in). I’ve only had success a couple times though because the hogs usually find mine and destroy it before I can do anything with it. Good luck !

I usually don’t have to terminate it to plant my WW, the hot weather does that. I just plant in September when it looks like I’ll get some moisture no matter what the buckwheat looks like.
Thanks for help!

I'm worried that the second round of buckwheat will go to seed before it's time to the plant the WW/WR. Maybe terminate the first round a little later so the second round wouldn't be going in too late? Am I overthinking this?

Not sure I'd do second round of BW but you are further south and others may have diff opinion. Assuming you have limed if needed for ph, As for fall planting , spray Gly, plant WR and /or WW mixed with RC and WC. Add 19-19-19 . Personally for new plots I like heavy WR first few years @ 100-150#/ac to control weeds and build soil for no till. Overseed clovers again next March, let grain self terminate, and you will have great clover plot you can reseed with grain in fall, eventually adding brassicas. Good luck.

Thanks for help!

I'm worried that the second round of buckwheat will go to seed before it's time to the plant the WW/WR. Maybe terminate the first round a little later so the second round wouldn't be going in too late? Am I overthinking this?

I forgot to ask if you have hogs, and if so, a few or a lot ? We have a lot and I can’t throw and mow any grains at all. Clover is the only thing I can plant on top.

I forgot to ask if you have hogs, and if so, a few or a lot ? We have a lot and I can’t throw and mow any grains at all. Clover is the only thing I can plant on top.
Very few hogs. Seen 2 on cameras, and that's over the last 12 months.

Not sure I'd do second round of BW but you are further south and others may have diff opinion. Assuming you have limed if needed for ph, As for fall planting , spray Gly, plant WR and /or WW mixed with RC and WC. Add 19-19-19 . Personally for new plots I like heavy WR first few years @ 100-150#/ac to control weeds and build soil for no till. Overseed clovers again next March, let grain self terminate, and you will have great clover plot you can reseed with grain in fall, eventually adding brassicas. Good luck.
A lot of good info there. Thank you.

Back