Feral hog explosion

chadmyers

Is there anyone from the South Georgia area that might be interested in helping me get rid of some hogs? Maybe someone with thermal/night vision and that has a lot of experience trapping?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I only know what I read about feral hogs and some info I receive from friends who travel to Texas and pay hunt over feeders and run very aggressive dogs. The owners run the pay operations to subsidize bringing in the pro's to trap the entire sounder at one time.This ain't cheap.And they are back again the next year. But you get what you pay for. We raised hogs when I was young ,and nobody has to tell me how smart they are. I am told they get trap educated very quickly. Hunting may make you feel better, but won't solve the problem. I feel your frustration. At the very best you can only hope to put a small dent. A sow can have 13. And be fertile at a little under a year. We bred them that way over a thousand years. I wish I could be more helpful You've got a real problem.

I only know what I read about feral hogs and some info I receive from friends who travel to Texas and pay hunt over feeders and run very aggressive dogs. The owners run the pay operations to subsidize bringing in the pro's to trap the entire sounder at one time.This ain't cheap.And they are back again the next year. But you get what you pay for. We raised hogs when I was young ,and nobody has to tell me how smart they are. I am told they get trap educated very quickly. Hunting may make you feel better, but won't solve the problem. I feel your frustration. At the very best you can only hope to put a small dent. A sow can have 13. And be fertile at a little under a year. We bred them that way over a thousand years. I wish I could be more helpful You've got a real problem.
You are correct Doe Shooter. You only have to look at Texas to see what hunting them has done.

There is no easy answer for feral hogs. I have two pieces of property. One is adjacent to public land where they prohibited hunters killing hogs for about four years and they trapped hogs. The other piece of land is adjacent to public land where hogs may be hunted year round and no trapping. The property where hunting was banned is now so overwhelmed with hogs I cant olant a soybean seed without them rooting it up that night. I killed 85 hogs off that 60 acre property in 8 months and cant tell the difference. My property next to the public land that still gets hunted has a few hogs. They dont do any rooting damage and are wild as the deer. I understand in areas where hogs are just becoming established, banning sport hunting to reduce the incentive to move hogs. I areas where hogs are already well established - banning sport hunting only makes the problem worse. My advice - kill them by any and all means possible.

I have an acquantance who owns three hundred acres in georgia. He planted twenty acres of corn and has a group of hog doggers come in about every two weeks. Hogs only got two acres. Shoot them, trap them, hog dog them - just keep the pressure on them.

I remember reading that there was some DNR testing of a poison to kill them. I think when you skinned them the fat was visibly blue.

I remember reading that there was some DNR testing of a poison to kill them. I think when you skinned them the fat was visibly blue.
There is a lot of work going on now with hog poisons. A big problem is the delivery system to ensure only hogs eat it, and finding a hog specific poison. Sodium nitrate is fairly hog specific - but they dont really like to eat it. I believe a lethal poison or birth control will be the only way to really knock them back.

There is no easy answer for feral hogs. I have two pieces of property. One is adjacent to public land where they prohibited hunters killing hogs for about four years and they trapped hogs. The other piece of land is adjacent to public land where hogs may be hunted year round and no trapping. The property where hunting was banned is now so overwhelmed with hogs I cant olant a soybean seed without them rooting it up that night. I killed 85 hogs off that 60 acre property in 8 months and cant tell the difference. My property next to the public land that still gets hunted has a few hogs. They dont do any rooting damage and are wild as the deer. I understand in areas where hogs are just becoming established, banning sport hunting to reduce the incentive to move hogs. I areas where hogs are already well established - banning sport hunting only makes the problem worse. My advice - kill them by any and all means possible.

I have an acquantance who owns three hundred acres in georgia. He planted twenty acres of corn and has a group of hog doggers come in about every two weeks. Hogs only got two acres. Shoot them, trap them, hog dog them - just keep the pressure on them.

Spot on !

Back