Fawn Recruitment - The Final Word? Probably Not!

X-farmerdan

Deer - Forest Study Blog, Fawns are cute but.....
https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research...Feed:+deer-forest-blog+(The+Deer-Forest+Blog)

I am hesitant to start another fawn recruitment thread, but the summary of the Penn State Deer-Forest study found at the link above provides a marvelous narrative. If you're serious about deer populations, fawn recruitment, and doe harvests it's worth a read. I learned a lot.

I learned a lot about population dynamics as I followed this study over many years.

The project leader is Duane Diefenbach. Mostly likely it's an unfamiliar name, but, again, if your serious about the many aspects of ecology and game wildlife management, treat yourself by reading some of his other research.

It's all about the does!

"Our conclusion – population decline would only occur if fawn survival was <25% AND adult female survival was <75%. In all other scenarios harvest of antlerless deer was REQUIRED to stabilize deer populations."

That's a solid plug for the "need" of hunting.

I dont understand why these folks dont use fawns per doe instead of fawn survival rate. It is difficult for most of us to calculate fawn survival rate because we dont know what the fawn birth rate in our area might be. It is relatively easy to calculate fawn per doe numbers. Most state wildlife areas advertise fawn recruitment numbers in fawns per doe.

Deer - Forest Study Blog, Fawns are cute but.....
https://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/projects/deer/news/2018/fawn-are-cute-but?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+deer-forest-blog+(The+Deer-Forest+Blog)

I am hesitant to start another fawn recruitment thread, but the summary of the Penn State Deer-Forest study found at the link above provides a marvelous narrative. If you're serious about deer populations, fawn recruitment, and doe harvests it's worth a read. I learned a lot.

I learned a lot about population dynamics as I followed this study over many years.

The project leader is Duane Diefenbach. Mostly likely it's an unfamiliar name, but, again, if your serious about the many aspects of ecology and game wildlife management, treat yourself by reading some of his other research.

It's all about the does!
Their studies tend to show what their sponsors want them to show.

Back