Farm turkeys

Had not seen a turkey on the farm since I killed these two gobblers last year. Then Thursday was 2 weeks ago, a lone hen once again took up around my durana plot. Happens every year, and I think it's the same one that got those two killed last year. Anyway, this last Tuesday, my son, a friend of his, and me went over to the farm about 10:30 to do a little work. When we got out of the truck I heard what I thought was a gobble. Wasn't expecting that so had to ask them if I heard what I thought I heard. They said "yes". Determined he was most likely in one of my plots about 200 yards from camp because I would call with my mouth and he would gobble every time. Told them I could kill that bird if I had my shotgun. They just laughed and said "yeah, right". Tuesday evening I went and sat in my deer stand on the durana plot just to see if it would roost in the same general area as last year. Right at dark he flew up about 60 yards off the plot and gobbled twice. Wednesday morning I was set up on the road between the durana plot and a smaller wheat plot along a creek below. I put an Avian X hen decoy on the top of the rise in the durana and a Avian X jake about halfway down the road, thinking if he came out in the little plot first, as I suspected he would, he'd see the jake and then the hen. I got sat down at 6:45 and he started gobbling shortly after. I never even put my call in my mouth, just turned and mouth-called toward the plot. Heard him fly down and at 6:55 he was DRT in the road!
Field Shot 4-14-21.jpg

I love to read your yearly turkey endeavors, and I see that you still have that "lucky charm" shotgun as well, why fix it if it ain't broke?
P.S. Are you entertaining any bids on that spot for next year?

Indeed. Another one actually showed up this morning. I heard him gobbling just as the sun came up as I was getting on the tractor then actually saw him around lunch. Think I will leave them alone, one’s enough. I think.

Back