Ever Considered Selling Hunts?

Most people have the attitude that if they pay, they are going to kill something before they leave. Unfortunately.

I’ve seen that theory turned into fact !

I once had a 1406 acre lease in Central Texas. Lots of deer, very few mature bucks. I paid for the lease myself, through my company, and took a few customers hunting each year. This went on for about five years and I gave the customer thing up because most of them would shoot a 2.5 year old in a heartbeat ! I wasn’t as management minded then as I am now, but even then I wouldn’t shoot a buck under 3.5, and we tried to kill 20 does a year because we were eaten up with deer. Even killing 15/20 does a year we managed to only stay about status quo. Customers would not shoot does, even though I encouraged it. That, to me, says that most guys are hunting antlers, and IMO, they lack good judgement (if big antlers are what they want), but they shoot 2 or 3 year old bucks. I don’t have the time or inclination to sit with them and point out deer. I’d do it for a friend or relative, and have, but not for a stranger with a check in his pocket. Not my thing....

Ive been offered money to come and hunt more than once. A guy offered me 5k to hunt a week during late muzzleloader in Iowa. I didn't even respond to the offer. I kind of see it as selling my soul. I will need to generate some sort of income in Kentucky so perhaps wood products.

G

Most people have the attitude that if they pay, they are going to kill something before they leave. Unfortunately.

Most guide services n the states that I know people who have gone on charges a penalty for shooting below their requirements. I think usually around a $1000 penalty. True of some managers of western game such as elk. Everyone is diff. I have 2 friends that yearly pay good money to hunt small high fence deer. Funny they never share that fact and act as if it’s a mountain deer. I don’t get it but it’s a persons choice. But I would certainly be charging a hefty penalty for underage/size if I sold hunts.
Wish I could charge my neighbors that penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify my ramblings, I have no problem with folks selling hunts. Hell, it’s a way of life here with very little public land and very few folks who will give permission. Leases, day hunts, and package hunts are very common here. If I wanted to obligate my hunting time with strangers, the first thing that comes to mind is putting some young hunters onto game. I’ve done that in the past and it pretty gratifying to see a kid get his first deer or turkey. Almost as much fun as hunting for yourself. Almost......:)

I have had enough trouble with "friends" hunting on my place as it is. Trying to "babysit" a paying customer.....just sounds like asking for a hole in the head. Between the customer complaining about everything possible, to wandering around and possibly beyond your property lines, damaging trees, plots or the like, causing issues with neighbors to poorly shooting deer and lord knows what else.....I would never sleep at night! I have considered it, but for the reasons listed above....I have not. I have made money with timber harvests, and with other farming related practices as well. I think for a property to pay for itself or at least support that, you almost have to make that a serious consideration when selecting the parcel prior to purchase vs trying to do that after the fact. Toss in the "I paid my money - I'll killing something" mentality that I fear many would have and you can easily put a pretty good dent in your deer herd. I see far more risks than it would be worth....in my opinion and from my perspective.

Back