Elk Meadow Farm

It's been a while since I did an update. Yesterday I finished my fall plots by putting in a 1.5 acre plot of BFO,WR,large ladino clover and big buck brassica mix from Welter seed. I fertilized with 6-24-24 @200# per acre. I also over seeded my power line plot with large ladino clover and big buck brassica mix. I overseeded another one acre plot of large ladino and chickory with BFO and WR.
My timber plot I put in 2 weeks ago is really popping now. I fertilized it yesterday with 6-24-24 so it should do even better when it rains.
da3ce8649bb46e9ff0a4f4049e56eed3.jpg
d923f0c4026c41274f411ffa390254da.jpg
e57b44b3dec1268317a1c0f0cfdcd822.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Looking good, must be great working soil that doesn't have hand to basketball size flint everywhere...I also got my plot in yesterday and all that rain we were getting is going away per the long range forecast...didn't have a choice. Text and calls for brushhogging are blowing up my phone. Lol

I plan to get plot in this morning at Home 10 and the final throw n mow plot is going in at our deer lease in the morning and then tomorrow afternoon the brushhog go's to work commercially for the rest of August and all September...

Looking good, must be great working soil that doesn't have hand to basketball size flint everywhere...I also got my plot in yesterday and all that rain we were getting is going away per the long range forecast...didn't have a choice. Text and calls for brushhogging are blowing up my phone. Lol

I plan to get plot in this morning at Home 10 and the final throw n mow plot is going in at our deer lease in the morning and then tomorrow afternoon the brushhog go's to work commercially for the rest of August and all September...
I find a rock here and there on occasion. I still have a couple stands left to put up and a few trails to clean up after the loggers pulled out. Always something to do.

When we arrived Friday we found several of our watermelons had a 2" hole bored into them and the entire contents eaten. Anybody know what could have done this? We then harvested almost all the good ones and left a couple small ones hoping these don't get eaten also!
4caffea726441c08e66179669cd0ebe8.jpg
8d9f157365e5d3fc3e06068d148eafc4.jpg

Today I mowed my clover/chickory plots. I will probably spray cleth next week. I mowed down some sunflowers today in preparation of next weekends dove opener. I have a couple hundred doves using my place. I put together a Muddy skybox today and will be putting it up next week on my new plot in the timber that was created during the logging when all the guys show up for dove hunting. My wife and I hung a Summit portable stand. I hung 2 new Spypoint solars and a Bushnell trophy cam I won last year. I now have 9 cameras out there now. The pumpkins are getting huge. I have 35 of them now growing.

When we arrived Friday we found several of our watermelons had a 2" hole bored into them and the entire contents eaten. Anybody know what could have done this? We then harvested almost all the good ones and left a couple small ones hoping these don't get eaten also!
4caffea726441c08e66179669cd0ebe8.jpg
8d9f157365e5d3fc3e06068d148eafc4.jpg

That's crazy that some critter took out your watermelons! I've never seen that before. Just found this thread and am looking forward to following along. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a guy around me who grows all sorts of stuff says once deer figure them out they will stomp a hole in melons and eat the insides out of them. Then other critters follow. He says they do it to watermelons and cantaloupe as well on his place. He says when they get real determined they will actually smash the entire thing to get to everything inside as well. Not sure if that is what happened or not.....might be a good spot for one of those cams!

I've heard watermelons are great deer food but that seems to be too early for hunting season if they are munching on them already. I know my skunks root in a hole. My fields look like land mines, not sure maybe that would hit a watermelon. Place looks great tho.

I know a guy around me who grows all sorts of stuff says once deer figure them out they will There was also claw marks on them'stomp a hole in melons and eat the insides out of them. Then other critters follow. He says they do it to watermelons and cantaloupe as well on his place. He says when they get real determined they will actually smash the entire thing to get to everything inside as well. Not sure if that is what happened or not.....might be a good spot for one of those cams!
Not sure if it was an armadillo,coons or skunks. They got 11 of them in just 1 week.
I know a guy around me who grows all sorts of stuff says once deer figure them out they will stomp a hole in melons and eat the insides out of them. Then other critters follow. He says they do it to watermelons and cantaloupe as well on his place. He says when they get real determined they will actually smash the entire thing to get to everything inside as well. Not sure if that is what happened or not.....might be a good spot for one of those cams!
Not sure if it was an armadillo, coons or skunks but there was claw marks on them also.

Spending the night at the farm with my son, my dad, and my future son in law. We are gonna shoot some doves in the morning. Already an awesome day today. On the way out here in some parts the cell coverage sucks except for a few spots. My sons cell phone starts ringing and he cannot find his phone so I pull over so he find it. Finally finds it and it was HR at Boeing calling to offer him a job. It was really a happy day for us.

Went out to my property yesterday and pulled cards checked on plots and bury my dog who passed Friday night. She was a female Jack Russell and she turned 20 in June. Absolutely the best dog we ever had. Our last rain was 20 days ago .79". My plots are looking pretty good still but need rain soon.

I'm pretty green when it comes to sorghums. What kind is that and how tall is it? Do your deer eat it?
I am just as green when it comes to sorghum. I got a 50# bag of it from the NWTF. $10 a bag. The seed tag was labeled as forage sorghum. I tilled, spread it with a bag seeder, lightly tilled the seed in and no fertilizer. I was pleasantly surprised on the results of its growth. Time will tell if the deer eat it. I have'nt seen any major browse on it yet.

Nice looking plots Satguy, wildlife sorghum grows 3-4 foot. If you have deer interested in your offerings when the sorghum is ready it probably won't last long.

G

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. Twenty years with one dog is a blessing! I buried Gilly the Lab in my avatar pic under a willow on my buddy's property where she retrieved her last duck. They leave you with so many memories of the outdoors. I'm now making some new ones with my new buddy Lucy, a small yellow Lab who my wife refers to as "60 pounds of rocket fuel"!

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. Twenty years with one dog is a blessing! I buried Gilly the Lab in my avatar pic under a willow on my buddy's property where she retrieved her last duck. They leave you with so many memories of the outdoors. I'm now making some new ones with my new buddy Lucy, a small yellow Lab who my wife refers to as "60 pounds of rocket fuel"!
Our next dog will be a lab. I wanted one for several years but Daisy our Jack was so jealous and possessive she did not want any other dogs around. I duck hunt and could really use the help in retrieving.

Been awhile since I have done an update. Only.13" of rain in the last 35 days with a 50% chance of rain on Wednesday. I bowhunted yesterday and saw several does and no bucks. I have 8 cameras out and got several thousand pics over the last 2 weeks and only does, spikes and forkhorns on camera. I have no clue what happened to the mature bucks that use my place. We need rain bad.

Been awhile since I have done an update. Only.13" of rain in the last 35 days with a 50% chance of rain on Wednesday. I bowhunted yesterday and saw several does and no bucks. I have 8 cameras out and got several thousand pics over the last 2 weeks and only does, spikes and forkhorns on camera. I have no clue what happened to the mature bucks that use my place. We need rain bad.
Acorns happened...

It's been a couple weeks since I have been at the property. Drove thru pounding rain yesterday morning and it quit as I rolled up to the gate. How hunted and saw 3
Does and a fork horn. My dad seen 9 does and a spike. It was a nice day to be in the woods. I have not had a mature buck on camera for a couple months and then this 11 pointer showed up. Last year he was a nine pointer and I have his right side shed.

Back