Early 4th qtr ramblings...

Triple C

In a couple of weeks I'll turn 62. Holy Cow!!! Where do the years go? I'm coming to the realization that I'm entering the 4th quarter of life as defined by most people. People say that old always seems 20 years out. I tend to agree with that. 62 doesn't seem old anymore. If I make it to 82, hopefully I'll be thinking 100 is old.

The older I get, the more I cherish time spent with family and close friends. I've never been busier with work in my life than I am right now. I'm struggling to find the right balance in being present for grandkid stuff. As a grand parent, it's my responsibility to be involved in their life. They'll be grown and on their own in the blink of an eye. Life balance can be a struggle.

This morning, I got a call from a dear friend that has been close to me since high school. He called to tell me that one of our classmates was just diagnosed with ALS and early stage dementia. That never turns out well. Then a few minutes later I received a txt from my wife that one of our friends that we attended church with a few years ago died of a massive heart attack this morning. Left me a little melancholy.

My wife drove to the farm Saturday and spent yesterday and most of today at the farm by herself for some me time before she drove to her elderly mom's today to provide regular help for her. She text'd me a pic that she took yesterday and said there was an angel in the clouds. All before any of the news this morning. I though it appropriate to share with my friends in the forum as many of us are around my age. I like the angel cloud pic and thought I would share with you guys. I was looking back thru all of the farm pics since 2011 and found another that for some reason...just puts me in a happy place.

Nothing habitat related here...just ramblings. Here's the angel pic and the other pic that makes me think all is good in the world. God's blessings and mercy to all!FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_0130.jpg

Awesome post. Glad I'm not 3 score and some odd years!:rolleyes: Time does fly and priorites change from relationships, to children , to how I food plot. I'm sitting with the door open listening to the rain and thunder and finishing an older book, Run Baby Run, that still applies to all of todays issues. I always tried to pace my self along my fathers life and he stayed very active and crazy into his early 80s until his mind moved on. Thats why I keep doing and going as much as possible before I may have no option. Losing friends and family is tuff. We never have promise of tomorrow and can only make sure we have fought the good fight. Wow three score is a long time!! Happy early Birthday young man.

I just turned sixty three - and I do consider my self aged. I think about things like buying a boat - and that it will probably be my last, getting the land in the easiest shape to maintain so maybe my son can do it without me, that I need to hurry up and finish my world billfish slam before I cant reel one in. I am not consumed with thnking like that - but it seems like when hit 62 - that is when I started thinking like that. Hopefully, we both have many more healthy, active years.

My dad turned 65 this year. He's not just my dad, he's my best friend. I notice small things that he doesn't, or can't do anymore. He tripped and fell during deer season this year and said, "I'm too f&*@ing old to do this anymore!" I told him if he quit, I'd quit, and I wouldn't be any fun to be around. :) We just do things at a slower pace than we used to. Take breaks more often. Sometimes he just watches me work. He earned that right. He is the hardest working man I have ever met, a great role model, and just a fun person to be around. I follow plenty of your guys threads to see that many of you are probably just like him...

Great and relevant post triple c. I’ll be 64 very shortly and it is amazing how values change. I’m in crested butte with all my family this week and there is no place and no thing I’d rather be doing. It’s chaotic. It’s loud. It’s messy. And it’s perfect.

I spent many decades of my life very ambitious,competitive and focused on a set of goals I wanted to create. It required extensive travel long hours and a lot of risk taking. Today I cherish a much different set of ideals. Like you I have buried several close friends. My children are grown. I’m mostly retired and A dramatic shift has taken place in how I want to spend my time, what I think about and what I value.

I teasingly say that it’s a good day if I don’t have to drive on pavement or put shoes on. My son and his family including my only grandson have moved to the farm with us. That makes me very happy. I have the ability to visit my daughters in Boulder and Montreal anytime I wish and our families connect frequently. As I reflect on life I realize it has never been better and I’m grateful thankful humbled and perhaps a bit overwhelmed at the blessings granted. Now is a very good time

I turned 63 TODAY, so I understand exactly where you are coming from TC.

I gave up competitive shooting last year just because I wanted to be spending that time with my family rather than shooting. Everything is changing fast for me. I'm blessed that both parents are still alive, and my time with them now is even more precious.

My concept of work is changing fast too. Looking at least at going part time by the end of this year, and I may just hang it up completely very soon. Too many other things are more important now.

Looks like at 71 I'm a little older than you kids ! :) Yep, there are definitely things I just can't do anymore, (and some of the things I still do, I do more slowly), but fortunately I usually don't have to. I have a 22 year old son who is still at home and a 49 year old that lives about a quarter mile from me.

My daddy used to say, " if I had known then what I know now ".......

Heavy thoughts there Triple C. Happy upcoming birthday. I recently attended High School 50th. I did a simple website for photos, data and communication. Had memorial section for those we had lost. Humbling. I am 68, love spending time with grands. That is a good "worn out". Got that feeling right now after a week in chapel hill NC.
I waiver between 1. Keep going strong with garden, projects etc so I will not lose ability and 2. Probably better slow down. Maybe the old body is being a good "governor" for me and keeping a good pace.
Faith, Family, Friends and Freedoms. Happy 4th cyber friends!

Love all the responses from young and old alike. I thought a few hours after I posted I'd like to have a recall button but glad I don't have one. Life is fleeting to say the least. Enjoy every moment every day! There's hundreds of thousands of people all across the world that would love to trade places with any of us. Looking forward to heading to the Triple C tomorrow for a weekend of good eats and fellowship! Gonna try out a new lithium battery Oregon pole saw I bought off Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Son says it's the bomb. Can't wait to try it out myself to battle limb creep closing in on some of our interior roads n trails.

Love all the responses from young and old alike. I thought a few hours after I posted I'd like to have a recall button but glad I don't have one. Life is fleeting to say the least. Enjoy every moment every day! There's hundreds of thousands of people all across the world that would love to trade places with any of us. Looking forward to heading to the Triple C tomorrow for a weekend of good eats and fellowship! Gonna try out a new lithium battery Oregon pole saw I bought off Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Son says it's the bomb. Can't wait to try it out myself to battle limb creep closing in on some of our interior roads n trails.

Give us a pole saw review please. I have a gasoline Stihl, and I can review it in one sentence. Capable and heavy ! (and that's not even a real sentence) I'm seriously considering a battery model.

I gave up wondering if my weedeater would crank and got a Dewalt battery weedeater, since I ready had a lot of batteries and chargers. Like it a bunch so far. Batteries last about as long as I do.
Now I can see where pole saw would need a lot more juice.

Back