Dwarf chinkapin oak

In think the early producing DCOs are more hype than anything. Yes, some get lucky and their trees start producing at 3-4 years but it’s certainly not a large quantity of nuts. I’m convinced the time frame for these trees is more like 9-10 years before you’ll start getting a good quantity of nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be true due to nothing but the size of the trees. Little trees can't produce much.

It all looks great from pics. I weighed the acorns off the trees I have and this was the grand total....

This would have been 95% of the acorns my trees produced also.

IMG_0392.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

That would be true due to nothing but the size of the trees. Little trees can't produce much.

Same way with Chestnuts. People get excited when their five year old tree starts producing. In reality a hand full of nuts isn’t going to make much difference.

Letemgrow,

This is one of the acorns I got from you years ago. I think they came out of NE. Do you have a bunch planted together or spread out singles?

This is what my DCO's look like right now. I get a lot of production, but I have them native. I don't consider them real important but they do fill a small void. They are always my first acorn drop of the yr and it only lasts about a week. If I want to collect them I have to check on Wednesdays... waiting until the weekend might be too late.
d5b65e1de40749021b7e475d80b9809f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Letemgrow,

This is one of the acorns I got from you years ago. I think they came out of NE. Do you have a bunch planted together or spread out singles?

Yes they are planted together at the farm. Have a single here at the house with acorns also.

fbf428a00a770ddea24718b739c973b8.jpg

They seem to be getting a little bigger. When do you guys see your acorns ready? Late Sept?

Here's what mine look like. I don't remember the dates but late September sounds about right. I know it's a week or so before my regular Chinkapin's drop.
5690159393a24a0e48addf41a7fd22e5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Looks like I'm not too far off on progress. Being 3 hours away and only making it up there once a month I'll have to watch for updates here when it gets closer to picking time.

The acorns on on my tree aren’t near that big. I don’t think mine got pollinated.

Back