Doe gone,

AjaDog

Can someone please give me a clue as to what might of happened to this big girl I shot Sunday morning, my .223 set up on the front porch,as I walked out, there she stood, I set up on her, squeezed off, right behind the front shoulder same old heart shot, surprised me, but the round knocked her down, but in a second she was back up, tail between her legs and hit the after burners
Once again Aja is on the scene, she smells, and gone in the deers direction, when I got there, could see where she hit the dirt( actually sand here) and where she dug her hoofs in on her exit, so no blood no hair, Aja lost her about 30 to 40 yds in the woods, me and this dog combed these woods almost all day, never found her, I think Aja got confused with all the other deer scent around, looked like a highway every where, I went in parts of the woods I've never seen, and I've been here 10 years, my theory, bullet to fast at that short distance, it never expanded,nor did it hit any bones, as far as that goes no organs either, I know I hit her, knocked her down, this is only the 2nd deer I've lost in ally years of hunting, can someone give some kind of input on this
img_20231029_080656178_hdr-jpg.26828

Can someone please give me a clue as to what might of happened to this big girl I shot Sunday morning, my .223 set up on the front porch,as I walked out, there she stood, I set up on her, squeezed off, right behind the front shoulder same old heart shot, surprised me, but the round knocked her down, but in a second she was back up, tail between her legs and hit the after burners
Once again Aja is on the scene, she smells, and gone in the deers direction, when I got there, could see where she hit the dirt( actually sand here) and where she dug her hoofs in on her exit, so no blood no hair, Aja lost her about 30 to 40 yds in the woods, me and this dog combed these woods almost all day, never found her, I think Aja got confused with all the other deer scent around, looked like a highway every where, I went in parts of the woods I've never seen, and I've been here 10 years, my theory, bullet to fast at that short distance, it never expanded,nor did it hit any bones, as far as that goes no organs either, I know I hit her, knocked her down, this is only the 2nd deer I've lost in ally years of hunting, can someone give some kind of input on this
img_20231029_080656178_hdr-jpg.26828
What type of bullet?

The bullet a Federal Fusion 62 grain soft point, keep it in mind, I've dropped 4 nice bucks already this year with that same cartridge but the shots were from a considerably longer distance, from 150yds to 225yds, not tooting my own horn, but I am a very well trained marksman, and bullet placement is everything, I simply will not take the shot if it's not a kill shot, that's why I keep going back to the shot and I just think the bullet straight through her, I've killed 31 coyotes around my place in the last 7 years and most of them with that .223 some of them @ 550 yds, I'm using a 12x32x56 night force scope, anyways

That’s a great round, I was thinking maybe it was a 40 grain groundhog incinerator that exploded at impact for a superficial wound. I shoot a Black Hills 77 grain TMK at deer when I use the 5.56 AR. I rarely get an exit but the lungs are a bowl of pink jelly and they fall in their tracks. Broadside shots only.

That’s a great round, I was thinking maybe it was a 40 grain groundhog incinerator that exploded at impact for a superficial wound. I shoot a Black Hills 77 grain TMK at deer when I use the 5.56 AR. I rarely get an exit but the lungs are a bowl of pink jelly and they fall in their tracks. Broadside shots only.
Yeah I'm with you, it's a nasty round, I've made I heart shot several times upon dressing the deer out, getting to the heart like a bowl of liquid beets, I will be looking for buzzards off in the distance, I know she's not in my acreage, truly I hate she didn't drop, I'm going to just stick to one of my .30 cal. Long guns

Back