Deer Eating Newly Sprouted Soybeans Test

Mennoniteman

Soybeans have always been a problem on small plots because deer and turkeys can easily wipe them out before they get established. I've noticed in the past that somtimes right after soybeans sprouted the ones that were growing in stubble and residue got less grazing pressure than the ones coming up in a bare dirt area, so I decided to do a test this year, and I feel that my results were pretty definitive.
I started the test last fall, taking a 2 acre field and splitting it down the middle, planting rye in one side, and brassica in the other. This spring at planting time the rye was 3' tall and had seed heads, and the brassica side was mostly bare, I then sprayed it with roundup and notilled soybeans, both sides at the same time. . The difference in deer grazing pressure is pretty drastic, the deer have large bare patches on the open side, and the beans are mostly untouched on the stubble side.
I spent some time at a distance observing the deer feeding these beans through binoculars, and they move slowly through the stubble, picking a mouthful here and there, but from their hesitant actions it appears like they dislike sticking their nose into the prickly stubble. And those plants clipped in the stubble appeared not to be cut as low, with some remaining leaves to continue growing. Once they got to the open side of the field the feeding began in earnest and from early appearances they will possibly totally wipe that side out. I have two contrasting pictures here, taken side by side, and will post more later with the final results. There's two things to consider here; number one, The method of hiding soybeans in standing rye might be an option to consider trying for those wanting to consider soybeans in smaller plots, or, maybe the deer will get wise to this method and wipe them out anyway? I should probably consider another test next year...
8e7e0c8c9f96bd9816bd05a94d84cdaa.jpg
ccb5ba37efe6f0e88f555366f54e7f94.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

For a long time I’ve done my fall planting in WR stubble only mowing to about a foot high. The deer simply don’t like sticking their nose into it to munch on what is growing beneath. Trick I use for my brassica and oats when fall seeding. I’m sure my deer numbers would annilate any soybean I might plant here however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a long time I’ve done my fall planting in WR stubble only mowing to about a foot high. The deer simply don’t like sticking their nose into it to munch on what is growing beneath. Trick I use for my brassica and oats when fall seeding. I’m sure my deer numbers would annilate any soybean I might plant here however. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I had the space, equipment, and growing season length, I'd do that same thing with beans into rye as soon as the rye hits peak height in spring/early summer. Leave those stalks a foot high like a sea of pencils ready to poke out the eye of any browser. But you'd also have the challenge of mowing when young fawns would probably be vulnerable to mulching.

How did you terminate the rye? Just glyphosate? Crimper? Rolled it down with something? Mowed?

Thanks for the research MM. I just had a farmer plant 2.5 ac of beans for me in stubble. The stubble was last years brassicas that got out of hand with grass/weeds this spring and had to be mowed then sprayed with gly. I'll let you know how they turned out. ;)

That’s good info MM. Now that I know where to rent a drill, I’ll be sure and try that next spring. I’m sure it will work as well with IC peas as it will with beans.

I have a similar problem - I'm using lawn chairs in the beans currently. Sometimes I use trailers or tractors. Anything works for a few days anyhow.

How did you terminate the rye? Just glyphosate? Crimper? Rolled it down with something? Mowed?
I used a glyphosate and thunder mix called Thundermax, it gives a great burndown using only 2 pints to the acre. I didn't do any mowing, only 2 passes, to spray and plant. But the conditions would have been ideal for a throw and mow for those without a notill planter. 2 keys to a nice spring food plot; plant early enough that it's still raining, and don't skimp on seed amounts.

My test results are fizzling. There's still a noticeable difference but I determined that If deer are grazing soybeans heavily they will do the same to the ones hidden in the straw as they did to the exposed ones, once the straw gets a little matted down and the soybeans begin to emerge. So the results are not as drastic 6 weeks after planting as they were 3 weeks after planting.
aa96a8eb19614cfcc1da6412bd8a68a8.jpg
62b28b1fa46669153a70524310f9470c.jpg

Last edited:
10-4. A couple of weeks after mine were planted in the stubble my brother said there was no noticeable browse pressure. He did notice browse pressure on the cowpea, lablab and sunflower that was planted at the same time but on bare ground on the other side of the farm.

10-4. A couple of weeks after mine were planted in the stubble my brother said there was no noticeable browse pressure. He did notice browse pressure on the cowpea, lablab and sunflower that was planted at the same time but on bare ground on the other side of the farm.
3 weeks ago it was like a "wow" moment. Now the difference is still obvious, but not as pronounced. Which is ok. I planted these beans with the intent that they end up in a deer's stomach, to grow antlers and push milk. Having forage soybeans available during antler growing season makes a pronounced difference in antler size and weight. Bucks will graze beans until their sides are bulging.

I really don’t know. The local farmer put them in for me with his planter. You can see where the planter went. 6 row planter I think.
3626877459e934630aef6918624879d2.jpg

I really don’t know. The local farmer put them in for me with his planter. You can see where the planter went. 6 row planter I think.
3626877459e934630aef6918624879d2.jpg

That's 30" rows, works good for ag beans, not so good for forage beans for deer. Not enough plants, it's too easy for the deer to wipe them out.

Back