Cultipacker recommendations

John D

Looking for a cultipacker for my food plots. Problem is I need a small one as I have to do some ditch areas. I can pull it with a side by side or atv. Seems like the ones they make for Atv's are pretty light duty and I'm concerned they won't do the job well. Searching facebook and craigslist and not finding anything that's not too large. Anyone have any good luck with one of the atv models out there? Not finding many reviews on the ones they're selling. Don't need one for a few weeks and maybe a used one will pop up eventually. Ideally a 5 to 7 foot wide unit would be best for what I need.

Any other options instead of a cultipacker? I'll be planting oats and clover together.

We have used a chain link fence drag followed by a lawn roller in smaller plots. It really does a pretty nice job.
Lynn

I found an 8 footer in a farm yard and got it for little of nothin. My 400 Kawasaki pulls it just fine. Plenty of diy projects out there for making your own

Like others have said, I did my first plots with weighted bed springs and yard sale lawn roller. Some of my best plots. I bought mine, and old farm one from a used farm equipment warehouse in KY. Don't remember the name but it was reasonable and shipped to be. Weighs 1200#. I preferred a toeing type as I hooked it to my tractor rototiller and tilled and packed at same time. Honestly tho, you might think more in line of throw and mow planting. My tiller and packer have sit unused for 5+ yrs now.

Made my own

20180901_133503-800x600.jpg

Like others have said, I did my first plots with weighted bed springs and yard sale lawn roller. Some of my best plots. I bought mine, and old farm one from a used farm equipment warehouse in KY. Don't remember the name but it was reasonable and shipped to be. Weighs 1200#. I preferred a toeing type as I hooked it to my tractor rototiller and tilled and packed at same time. Honestly tho, you might think more in line of throw and mow planting. My tiller and packer have sit unused for 5+ yrs now.

For the most part, so do mine

I carved out ~ .75 acre yesterday and broadcast a sorghum x sudan, sunflower mix
Love the appearance of a cultiplacked plot

bill

I have used my cultipacker three times this spring already. Not for food plots but to dress up my access roads after using my back blade and landscape rake. These roads see some hard use late in the fall getting to our hunting areas.
I have some wet areas in a couple fields which got tore up driving around this winter when we didn't have much snow. When these areas dry out some I'll smooth them over with the cultipacker.
My cultipacker is a 12' Brillion pulled by one of my 4 WD tractors.

Back