Cuivre Farms Field of Dreams Land Tour

CuivreDog

In the spirit of getting our new site up and running I thought I would take the time to start my own land tour to give you guys an idea of the improvements we have made in the interest of wildlife habitat improvement on our place we call Cuivre Farms. The name comes from a small river (Cuivre River) that drains a year round creek that runs along the western edge of our property.

To give you a little background, in 1996 we purchased 110 acres in Lincoln County, MO with the intention of eventually building the house of our dreams on the property at some time in the future. The land consisted of about 107 heavily timbered wooded acres and a small 3 acre overgrown field when we made the initial purchase.

Both my wife and I had grown up in suburban St. Louis, and when we married in 1985 we moved to a home on 3 acres in what was then a "rural area" about 25 miles east of our current home place. By 1998, the area around our rural home that was once surrounded by agricultural fields was being gobbled up by small subdivisions popping up at an alarming rate. The westward expansion of the St. Louis area was taking over our once private little haven. We knew it was only a matter of time before it was going to be like living in suburbia again so we started our hunt for a new place to call home in 1994. After spending two years looking for the right place with an existing home on the amount of acreage we were interested in, we finally gave up and decided to expand our search to raw land and build our dream home.

We found the place of our dreams in 1996 when 212 acres came up for sale in an area that we had identified we would be interested in living. We parceled off 110 of those acres to create what is currently Cuivre Farms. In the first two years of ownership it was mainly just my hunting playground and a place fairly close to home to relax and unwind on the weekends. We cleared trees and constructed a three acre lake that would eventually become the site of our new home. Initially, we set a camping trailer on the lake to enjoy the new place and to serve as hunting camp until we got our home built.

Construction on our new home was begun in 1998 so we were absentee landowners for the first two years but it gave us the opportunity to really get a "feel" for the place and a couple hunting seasons to get a handle on how the wildlife actually used our property before starting construction.

Please come along as I share some of the improvements we've made over the last twenty years in an attempt to create our own little wildlife paradise and the place we call home!

Last edited:
In the interest of giving you a better idea of what we are working with I am attaching a few images to give you an idea of the layout of our place.

General property lines......

Expanded view.......

Surrounding farms......

and finally a topo map.........

Despite having owned the property for over 20 years, our efforts to improve the wildlife habitat did not begin in earnest until the last five years when I discovered the old forum while researching prescribed fire. In the initial years, the focus of our efforts were based on opening the closed forest canopy through timber stand improvement (TSI) methods. In Spring 1997 the entire 110 acres was thinned out via the double ring method of timber stand improvement. It took a couple years to really begin to see the results of our efforts but the forest floor exploded with new growth by the end of year three and the once barren forest floor became a lush sea of forbs and native grasses. Other early efforts included an ill thought out plan of planting various tree seedlings purchased from the Dept of Conservation. I say ill thought out because there was really no rhyme or reason to my planting efforts at that time. If I could get a shovel in the ground and there was no tree currently growing there I put one there - no protection, no aftercare, and unfortunately very little survival. During those early years I would purchase 100 trees per year and I would estimate that maybe 1 in 10 survived to see the next growing season.

At the end of our 10 year agreement on the initial TSI work, I had the state forester back out and he determined that we should do some additional thinning to continue to open the forest floor to sunlight so once again we conducted a second round of TSI work in the Spring of 2007. A few years after the second round the canopy really opened up and the property became a thick, nasty jungle full of phenomenal deer bedding and lush forbs but my once thriving turkey population decided it was way too thick for their comfort level and moved onto neighboring properties. Since I am an avid turkey hunter as well as an avid deer hunter I knew more habitat manipulation would be necessary if I hoped to get my turkey population back to pre-TSI levels. After speaking with our newly created Private Land Services staff member from the MO Dept of Conservation it was determined that we needed to introduce prescribed fire to approximately 18 acres of our property to create an "open woodland" area to give the turkey a place to call home. Having never conducted a prescribed burn I really wasn't comfortable with a blown fire line so plans were drawn, the dozer came in and created a 10 ft wide trail system that would serve as my firebreaks. The first burn was conducted in March of 2012 and the results were dramatic. The young, overly thick understory opened up and a new flush of forbs and grasses exploded in the burned out area. Within one month, the turkey moved back home and I knew we were on our way to reestablishing our once thriving turkey population.

The map below shows the system of trails that were dozed to create our initial burn unit as well as a burn unit that we are in the process of establishing at this time. The western "existing trail" was the initial burn unit and the shaded area to the northeast is the area we are currently having the trails dozed on.

Last edited:
Nice property. I have 80 acres in Ralls county just east of Mark Twain lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I would throw in a couple pictures of the house we built.

Front of house....

Rear of house.....

View of house from across the lake.......

Your property is AMAZING! The picture of the lake and house is gorgeous.
I'm a big fan of TSI as well. What a huge difference it makes....well done.

Beautiful house and lake. Where is the duck blind?LOL!

No duck blind necessary - other than wood ducks in the Fall when the acorns are dropping into the lake I get very few ducks.

Now local Canada geese - that's a different story!

No duck blind necessary - other than wood ducks in the Fall when the acorns are dropping into the lake I get very few ducks.

Now local Canada geese - that's a different story!
I bet where you are located you get alot of geese. Are you east or west of Hwy 61?

Nice area out there. I looked at 2 places in the very southwest corner of Pike county early last year and one of them had the Cuivre river running thru it. the other place was 80ac with a 10acre lake on it. Both were a little pricey but nice.

Nice area out there. I looked at 2 places in the very southwest corner of Pike county early last year and one of them had the Cuivre river running thru it. the other place was 80ac with a 10acre lake on it. Both were a little pricey but nice.

Pricey is right - land values in this area have went crazy in the last 10 years. When I bought the place 20 years ago I paid $800 an acre. Land in this area now goes for upwards of $5000 an acre.

I kick myself in the rear every day for not buying all 212 acres when I had the chance. This land in bar none "the best" investment we've ever made!

Impressive what you have done. Lots of hard work girdling all those trees. Did you use any herbicides?
House and view are phenomenal.

Did you use any herbicides?

In the interest of saving time, everything 6" and smaller that we wanted to remove was cut off completely and then sprayed with a 50/50 mix of gly and water to prevent stump resprouting.

Everything over 6" was double girdled and left to die in place.

Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments from everyone.

I've got a lot more habitat improvements I'd like to show but as a full time retriever trainer my summers are very busy with the dogs so updates will be added as time allows. Unfortunately I'm not much of a "picture" guy so I have to make the time to go take some photos. Please check back for further updates.

In the interest of saving time, everything 6" and smaller that we wanted to remove was cut off completely and then sprayed with a 50/50 mix of gly and water to prevent stump resprouting.

Everything over 6" was double girdled and left to die in place.
This is interesting to me. TSI is one of the best things we can do for an open forest system to help the wildlife...good job!

Back