Cuddelink.....anyone

CAS_HNTR

Has anyone tried this system?

http://www.cuddeback.com/cuddelink

The system creates a mesh/grid network that links cameras in series for a LONG way...ultimately transferring all pics from all cameras to 1 home camera that would hold all pictures. It would be great to only have to check 1 camera during season and pick up all the pics on the whole property, but I have always heard lukewarm/poor reviews of Cuddeback cameras so I am pretty leery!

Worst and most expensive camera I ever saw was a cuddeback. You could walk 15' in front of it and not trigger it. It was almost new. And the factory had already tried to fix it once.

Cuddeback used to be my camera of choice six years ago. A lot of other cameras to choose from now. I have thought about trying their white flash - not many folks offer white flash anymore and night time pics are just so much better. I also didnt have nearly the empty pics that I now have when I was using a cuddeback - empty pic a rarity - but again, that was six years ago. IF the cameras were dependable, the cuddelink system would be the perfect setup for me on my three hundred acres with my house and internet as home base. Just waiting for more real life experience with them.

There was a time when Cuddeback was the only game in town. As competition grew, they fell behind. I'm certain they have the resources to get this right, and I hope they do. I'm interested in the system.

I purchased two cameras/caps and am testing them out. I haven't fully deployed them yet, but I took them out to see what kind of range I could get. I was getting .2 to .25/mile in hardwood/pine forest, when just strapping the home to a tree and walking with the remote in hand. I'll probably need to add another to get the pictures back to a place where I can easily pull cards.

One thing I would suggest before getting one is to pull up the manual for the camera and the cuddelink system and read through. There are some limitations on bandwidth, and depending on how many pictures you get a day and how many cameras you deploy, you could create a backlog and may have to change settings to only send a certain amount of pictures back. So, in some cases, you may not be able to get all of the pictures back to the home camera, which kind of defeats the purpose a bit. Kinda irks me that it wasn't mentioned on the website, but I'll probably not run into that with what I'll ultimately try to cover and the amount of cameras I plan to deploy.

One thing I will say is that this is a large camera and a single color like most cuddebacks and sticks out like a sore thumb. If you have an issue with theft, I would suggest mounting it high and camouflaging it. A few picks below of the cameras after applying mossy oak graphics to them.

Also, not to say it would happen, but it is possible to use the cameras to locate each other. There is a signal strength meter, so if someone were to steal one and had enough knowledge, they could track down every camera you had, at least it could get them close to each. If they could add password protection on these things, could easily solve that issue.

Just a few observations I've had since getting them last week...

95cd8b23411b914ca466e34e3fa8e200.jpg
4d5f1f4728f86d4a6e4eabf312be121b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

144, nice camo job and report.

"Also, not to say it would happen, but it is possible to use the cameras to locate each other. There is a signal strength meter, so if someone were to steal one and had enough knowledge, they could track down every camera you had, at least it could get them close to each. If they could add password protection on these things, could easily solve that issue."

That is my concern and agree with suggestion that they should come password protected. If its stolen at least they won't get a free camera to use or a string of them if they are able to figure out where the others are set up at.

FYI - Cuddeback released a couple of other cameras that Cuddelink capable. These don’t require the cap, it’s built in. Should save around $50-70 per camera if you don’t need the cell capabilities on them.

http://www.cuddeback.com/cuddelink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have one Browning camera and the rest Cuddebacks. They new models (E I think) and we love them. Cuddeback also puts a two year warranty on the cameras which is great because we have an issues with bear tearing them up even when they are in a lock box.

These are getting more interesting.....they are now offering a cellular "cap" that can be used as your home camera. So, you can have a bunch of cameras push images to one "home" camera that will send via cell service to you....essentially eliminating the need for multiple cell plans and still getting pics form up to 16 cameras.

I'm sorry and I know it's not being a good Christian - - but I can't find it in my heart to forgive Cuddeback for all the trash they've manufactured and not supported. No sense posting it all here - it's been said so many times before - but there's no way, regardless of the product - that they'll ever get another dime or wasted hour from me.

Back