CROSSBOW?

I enjoy hunting, with any weapon including vertical and xbow, and I also average buying a new weapon about every year. So this year I've decided that it's going to be a crossbow, which I ordered last week. If anyone wants to guess the model I'll send you a free shirk pole buildings zippered hood sweater of your size postage paid if you guess correctly.

I enjoy hunting, with any weapon including vertical and xbow, and I also average buying a new weapon about every year. So this year I've decided that it's going to be a crossbow, which I ordered last week. If anyone wants to guess the model I'll send you a free shirk pole buildings zippered hood sweater of your size postage paid if you guess correctly.

Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 330

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most modern quality crossbows exceed my requirements for power and accuracy. The two main features that I was looking for in a crossbow were, #1, a compact frame with a narrow front end to shoot out of small shooting house openings, and #2, a simple quick easy method to uncock the xbow without firing it, and Tenpoint Viper seemed to have exactly what I was looking for. This unit has a sliding trigger housing like a Raven, and it's fully reversible to uncock it. Axle-to-axle width at widest is 11" / 7.2" and it's very narrow at the front where you rest on a blind window.
Here's my new arrival from crossbow experts. They were willing to put an EVO-X Marksman scope on at no upcharge to seal the deal.

c82937cf4f21964a202ae038055ed4dc.jpg
c35c4d6f315704fe7afac6e25c3caae9.jpg
266ef7618d2df3e1b9fe80627d6fedf5.jpg
f35f36ab3e0d65eb35dac6f9db69391e.jpg

Had I seen this earlier you would be sending me that sweater in 2xl, that’s the exact one I am seriously considering along with the Scorpyd 420.
I currently own the TP Eclipse and the Turbo M1 models with the Acudraw cranks but but neither can be let down with the crank but then neither can the Scorpyd.
It will probably be a game time decision but turning 71 in a couple of weeks my head says the Viper is the way to go with all of the convenient features and older guy would and could ever need.
Good luck with your new Viper, I’m sure you are gonna love it.

Had I seen this earlier you would be sending me that sweater in 2xl, that’s the exact one I am seriously considering along with the Scorpyd 420.
I currently own the TP Eclipse and the Turbo M1 models with the Acudraw cranks but but neither can be let down with the crank but then neither can the Scorpyd.
It will probably be a game time decision but turning 71 in a couple of weeks my head says the Viper is the way to go with all of the convenient features and older guy would and could ever need.
Good luck with your new Viper, I’m sure you are gonna love it.
I spent a lot of time comparing and shooting crossbows at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg last winter, and the Viper came out on top. Reverse draw has great balance but is too wide in the front where I often rest on a small shooting house opening. The Vengeant has more power, but at 3" shorter, 1/2 lb lighter, and $500 cheaper I decided that the Viper has more than enough power at 400 fps. The Viper with it's slightly lower power is a little easier to crank and quieter to shoot, this became evident to me when I shot them side-by-side at the show, and it's deadly accurate. Their Auto-Brake Gear System, which allows for controlled de-cocking of the crossbow is a gamechanger for me. Hunting until dark then looking for a place to shoot a crossbow safely to de-cock is not a good scenario IMO.

Viper_Video_Overlay.jpg

Most modern quality crossbows exceed my requirements for power and accuracy. The two main features that I was looking for in a crossbow were, #1, a compact frame with a narrow front end to shoot out of small shooting house openings, and #2, a simple quick easy method to uncock the xbow without firing it, and Tenpoint Viper seemed to have exactly what I was looking for. This unit has a sliding trigger housing like a Raven, and it's fully reversible to uncock it. Axle-to-axle width at widest is 11" / 7.2" and it's very narrow at the front where you rest on a blind window.
Here's my new arrival from crossbow experts. They were willing to put an EVO-X Marksman scope on at no upcharge to seal the deal.

c82937cf4f21964a202ae038055ed4dc.jpg
c35c4d6f315704fe7afac6e25c3caae9.jpg
266ef7618d2df3e1b9fe80627d6fedf5.jpg
f35f36ab3e0d65eb35dac6f9db69391e.jpg

I was close.

I’ve been tempted....but dropping what a semi-custom rifle would cost when I have 3 vertical bows I still shoot well is a little hard to rationalize.....:). I can’t wait to hear how you like it!

I’ve been tempted....but dropping what a semi-custom rifle would cost when I have 3 vertical bows I still shoot well is a little hard to rationalize.....:). I can’t wait to hear how you like it!

I hear exactly what you are saying. If I could still manage a vertical I wouldn't even consider a crossbow, they were my favorite weapons of all and some years I never rifle hunted because my tags were all filled.
At 71 the crossbow still keeps me in the game and this will be the last one I will ever own so I spoiled myself.:D

I hear exactly what you are saying. If I could still manage a vertical I wouldn't even consider a crossbow, they were my favorite weapons of all and some years I never rifle hunted because my tags were all filled.
At 71 the crossbow still keeps me in the game and this will be the last one I will ever own so I spoiled myself.:D
Good for you....sounds like it was deserved.

Reactions: don
I spent a lot of time comparing and shooting crossbows at the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg last winter, and the Viper came out on top. Reverse draw has great balance but is too wide in the front where I often rest on a small shooting house opening. The Vengeant has more power, but at 3" shorter, 1/2 lb lighter, and $500 cheaper I decided that the Viper has more than enough power at 400 fps. The Viper with it's slightly lower power is a little easier to crank and quieter to shoot, this became evident to me when I shot them side-by-side at the show, and it's deadly accurate. Their Auto-Brake Gear System, which allows for controlled de-cocking of the crossbow is a gamechanger for me. Hunting until dark then looking for a place to shoot a crossbow safely to de-cock is not a good scenario IMO.

Viper_Video_Overlay.jpg

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your decision. Congratulations on the new crossbow.
I was wondering if you have seen or shot the Vapor RS470. What do you think of it?

It sounds like you put a lot of thought into your decision. Congratulations on the new crossbow.
I was wondering if you have seen or shot the Vapor RS470. What do you think of it?
Let me first say this; For many generations farm boys have grown up sneaking through the woods with a .22 rifle still hunting squirrels, and quickly learn that the best way to shoot something is with a steady rest, and since every tree is a steady rifle rest, you sneak up to a big oak tree, cradle your rifle against the tree trunk and drop a squirrel. I had a Horton reverse draw crossbow and the biggest hangup for me was to need to be aware of what is beside that front stirrup before you shoot it, not a problem on a shooting bench, but more so when I'm watching a big buck. Yes, all crossbows have ends of limbs that move when they are fired, but for my personal preference the traditional attachment at the front is easier to manage on very random tests in hunting situations.
I did shoot the Vapor RS470 at the show, and it has a very slight edge on lenght, speed, and balance, less weight forward. A very slight disadvantage on width and weight at 1/2 lb heavier. In actually holding it in your hands and shooting it there's really no noticeable difference in the three new accuslide models. It comes down to, did I want to pay the much higher price for the awkwardness of the reverse limbs on the Tenpoint RS470 to gain a little extra speed. The 3" longer length of the Vengeant S440 was a major factor in not getting that one. The price, compactness, accuracy, and speed of the Tenpoint S400 seemed like the perfect package for me.

Last edited:
Back