Crossbow ...yup!

I don't get the negativity towards crossbows and those who choose to use them. If you are an archery purist and want to use a long bow or recurve then fine. If you prefer a modern compound then that is great too. I have a compound and a crossbow and hunt with both depending on which I happen to decide to pick up that particular day. For those of us with busy work schedules and young kids, there is not much time for practice like we used to have time for and a crossbow is perfect. In a day where new hunters are fewer and fewer, anything to spark their interest is a good thing IMO.

I don't get the negativity towards crossbows and those who choose to use them. If you are an archery purist and want to use a long bow or recurve then fine. If you prefer a modern compound then that is great too. I have a compound and a crossbow and hunt with both depending on which I happen to decide to pick up that particular day. For those of us with busy work schedules and young kids, there is not much time for practice like we used to have time for and a crossbow is perfect. In a day where new hunters are fewer and fewer, anything to spark their interest is a good thing IMO.
The negativity isn't against the crossbow, the negativity is against the legalization of them in BOW season.
I have nothing against muzzle loaders or rifles either, but those weapons also don't belong in bow season.
I'm as busy as the next guy, but if I can find the time to be proficient with my recurve, then pretty much anyone can be proficient with a modern compound.
It all comes down to effective range. If you cannot kill humanely at "X" yards with a simple weapon, then you gotta learn how to get closer to the animal. That's what I do.18 yards is a long shot for me (for an ethical shot). And I put deer in the freezer every year.
Target shooting is about seeing how far away you can be from a bullseye and still hit it. Bowhunting is about how close you can get to the animal and make an effective shot...WITH A BOW. With all due respect, crossbows ain't bows.

And I do tire of the argument that making more weapons available in more seasons will somehow save the hunting community. If that were true, then the hunting population would be double what it was 20 yrs ago. It is simply DNR and industry propaganda. Somewhere along the way we began to feel the attraction of hunting for the masses was either weapon options, length of seasons, size of horns, improvement in weapons, etc. In reality, it is the interaction of hunters amognst themselves, and when we began to lose that part of it, it began to be less an attraction for the general public. Check the stats, even the so called weapon changes to attract the female and young age has remained static for nearly 15 years now. We are a dying breed unless we change how we hunt, not with what we hunt.
And I don't care how many bells and whistles I have on my compound, or that my recurve is much more tech than 30 yrs ago, no way does either compare to a shoulder anchored,creating a fixed triangular support with the arms, and scoped to 70 yds, the same as a bow. I don't care who shoots what, but don't do the govnt masking of what something really is. Sorry, its early and I'm on a rant.

The negativity isn't against the crossbow, the negativity is against the legalization of them in BOW season.
I have nothing against muzzle loaders or rifles either, but those weapons also don't belong in bow season.
I'm as busy as the next guy, but if I can find the time to be proficient with my recurve, then pretty much anyone can be proficient with a modern compound.
It all comes down to effective range. If you cannot kill humanely at "X" yards with a simple weapon, then you gotta learn how to get closer to the animal. That's what I do.18 yards is a long shot for me (for an ethical shot). And I put deer in the freezer every year.
Target shooting is about seeing how far away you can be from a bullseye and still hit it. Bowhunting is about how close you can get to the animal and make an effective shot...WITH A BOW. With all due respect, crossbows ain't bows.
I guess I am the type who doesn't let what others do bother me. If someone wants to use a crossbow during archery season it has zero impact on me. Therefore, I do not make an issue of it and do not let it bother me. Life is too short to worry about whether a crossbow is legal during archery season or not IMO. On days when I take my compound, I know my range is only about 40 yards and when I use my crossbow I can shoot out to 50 yards but only under perfect conditions. Obviously, crossbows are not bows but they are both primitive weapons and require close shots. The largest advantage a crossbow provides is not having to draw in the presence of the deer and it extends the range about 10 yards for me anyways. It's not really that big of an advantage plus crossbows are awkward in the stand and much louder than bows. I like and use both depending on my mood that particular day.

I guess I am the type who doesn't let what others do bother me. If someone wants to use a crossbow during archery season it has zero impact on me. Therefore, I do not make an issue of it and do not let it bother me. Life is too short to worry about whether a crossbow is legal during archery season or not IMO. On days when I take my compound, I know my range is only about 40 yards and when I use my crossbow I can shoot out to 50 yards but only under perfect conditions. Obviously, crossbows are not bows but they are both primitive weapons and require close shots. The largest advantage a crossbow provides is not having to draw in the presence of the deer and it extends the range about 10 yards for me anyways. It's not really that big of an advantage plus crossbows are awkward in the stand and much louder than bows. I like and use both depending on my mood that particular day.
But it COULD effect the quality of your hunt. I know that crossbow use by others most definately effects my hunt.
1st off, it has increased the demand on gaining permission because there are more hunters pestering landowners to hunt.
The advance of archery technology has put tremendous pressure on property access. When archery used to be difficult, far fewer hunters were competing for permission. I'd venture to say that the large numbers of "archery" hunters is part of the world of leasing we now experience. It's the law of supply and demand. Easier to use equipment leads to more hunters leads to more demand on access to private property. High demand drives leasing.

The other way crossbows effect the quality of a hunt is how the increased numbers of hunters effect deer behavior. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that heavy hunting pressure leads to a more nocturnal herd.

I said earlier, I am not against crossbows, but I AM against their use in bow season.
I'm fully suportive for a separate season for non- bow weapons.
And before anyone calls me selfish for my stance, I fully welcome more BOW hunters in bow season. It's not a closed fraternity.
However, it is, or should be for the dedicated who are willing to put forth the effort to become proficient.
Come join us

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is what is so great about WI crossbow season. It is its own season and licence. It just so happens that it currently has the same dates as archery. Doesn't mean it has to in the future. I'm all for making archery season shorter, to make room for my preferred early season weapon...the primitive muzzleloader.

It would differ than the current season by having rules similar to Idaho

, the muzzleloading rifle or musket must be: Capable of being loaded only from the muzzle. Equipped with only open or peep sights. Scopes and any electronics are prohibited. Except hunters with a visual disability may apply for a permit to use no magnifying scopes. Loaded only with loose black powder, loose Pyrodex, or other loose synthetic black powder. Pelletized powders are prohibited.”

“Muzzleloaders equipped with a single or double barrel. Loaded with a projectile that is within .010 inch of the bore diameter. Sabots are prohibited. Loaded with a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy. Equipped only with a flint, percussion cap or musket cap. 209 primers are prohibited. Equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is exposed or visible when the weapon is cocked and ready to fire.”

I think the last week of October would be a great time for my mythical primitive muzzle loader season.

That is what is so great about WI crossbow season. It is its own season and licence. It just so happens that it currently has the same dates as archery. Doesn't mean it has to in the future. I'm all for making archery season shorter, to make room for my preferred early season weapon...the primitive muzzleloader.

It would differ than the current season by having rules similar to Idaho

I think the last week of October would be a great time for my mythical primitive muzzle loader season.
I wouldn't mind if they shortened my beloved bow season...IF they also limited the season to archery equipment ONLY.
IMO, Season timing and length should be tailored around the difficulty of the weapon. If rifles are allowed during the peak of the rut, it should be a very short season. Flintlock season should be longer than in-line season, compounds should get more time than xbows, and traditional archery equipment would have a longer season than compounds. The less efficient the weapon, the less impact on the herd.

In Pa, our early archery season begins in mid September and runs to the end of the 2nd week of November. But during that "bow" season, there are other seasons inserted in which every weapon is legal (all bows, xbows, flintlocks, in-lines,or rifles). The tremendous hunting pressure definitely makes a difficult hunt (archery) even tougher. The deer are feeling the heavy pressure for sure.
I welcome the challenge. But in my area of Pa, the pressure is nuts, to the point that it DOES effect daytime deer movement and also limits access to hunt private land. Most every property is either filled with existing family hunters, or visiting hunters, or is not open to hunting at all. I am not overstating the number of hunters per acre around here. It's the result of allowing too many easy-to-use weapons.
It would be nice to have an archery season again.

As for here, I don't see more hunters due to the xbow, most have just taken the transformation because as mentioned it can require less practice. And as mentioned, bow season is barely a wk anymore as we have early bear seasons, early doe, youth days, etc. Lots of money in those extra license but I think the deer pressure really hurts from bow thru rifle season as deer really are hunkered down by late Oct. And it prob depends on the state. States like WV and PA typically have 17+ hunters/sq mile where as some midwestern states such as OK statistically have 1/sq mile. Big diff in pressure, especially when hunting mostly big wood deer. I agree, I wish they would just delegate each season its own weeks, even if it means much more limited bow season. Or extend it from late summer to late Jan to spread out all the pressure. I like all weapons myself and get everyones point. I've always said with the length of seasons and weapon choices now, that if one would do a study, would probably see a higher divorce rate coinciding. LOL.

I have bow hunted since I was 12 years old. Now at 65, physical disabilities have forced me to put down my Mathews several years ago and switch to a Ten Point crossbow with a scope. I had a permit from my Doctor for cross bow use until Wisconsin adopted an open to all use of crossbows a few years back.
All I have to say is wait until old age and infirmities catch up with you and then tell me about how crossbows should not be allowed during archery seasons. It is legal to use in Wisconsin and I allow the use of them on my land during the archery season.

I see all the gashing and knashing over the application of crossbows during archery seasons and I would like to throw out some thoughts ...I'm not selling anything here ...just kind of sharing some of my life's experience and resulting thoughts
For the record I have been retired for 10 years ...been thru 3 shoulder surgeries ...and 2 degenerated discs
So I crossed over from a compound to a crossbow over 10 years ago (Dr's permit here in Missouri until this past season)
The things I have come to believe to be true:
My 60/70/80 hour work weeks before retirement had me lying to myself about how much practice I needed and or actually did ...I am being critical of me ...you judge your own self ..
With my compound I have done it all ...kill, miss and wound
10 years of crossbow I have killed 20+ deer ...dead ...period ...but with some clarification ...(1 kill was luck in that I caught a tree limb and got a spine hit instead of a double lung) and two additional clean misses from branch hits
With the crossbow AND retirement .....I obviously had TIME ...time for the right shots ...time to learn the dynamics of weapon of choice and sound and deer and apply that to both my past compound experience as well as my current crossbow learning curve..
My 65lb Bear compound is quieter than any of the 4 crossbows I have owned ...with my compound sound wise I could reasonably expect a relaxed deer to be a harvested deer out to 30 to 35 yards ...30 no wind or rain ...35 with rain ....my FIRST crossbow was about 230fps with a 465grain arrow ...yes an arrow ...the 230fps crossbow rig's noise reduced the the relaxed deer sure kill to 25 yards and another 2-4 yards with wind/rain ....as my arrow speeds increased thru progressive crossbows I am now at 360fps ....this speed seems to be about where present design and material availability keep the crossbow in the everyday shooter category that only asks for rail lube and string wax ...I make this statement as reliable with the good crossbows ...there are a few "brands" who do not have long life results whether cheap parts or or bad quality control ....just research the bow forums ..you will quickly understand this statement
But approaching the 400fps level and above crossbow ... two things seem to start happening ...the $$ starts getting kinda to all the way Krazy ...secondly ...the performance demanded of the very small unit hunters demand seems to take it's toll of most of the major "working" components ....I realize there are always exceptions to everything but again ...this is more directed to the average "Joe" like me ..think this out ....most deer hunters will settle for a 3 to 4" group at 100 yards ...but the benchrest guy is willing to move heaven and earth for that single ragged hole ...just like guys who think arrow speed is everything

Well speed is NOT everything ...at least not to me but each their own ...with my first crossbow pass thru was an every other time thing depending on distance/angle ....with the 360fps I have had all pass thru on over 20 deer with the exception of a spine shot ( speed above 360fps does not appreciably extend range) ( as in sound arrival vs arrow)

Yes I can pickup a crossbow with optics anytime and nail a desert size paper plate at 75 yards ...under 40 yards I have to either pull arrows after each shot or shoot at a different spot each shot or I will stack'em

Bottom line ...hunter ethics , respect for the deer or simply.... the person behind the equipment are what really counts

I Read where many of the oldest crossbow use states are not reporting any appreciable archery harvests

I would think there would have have to be some hump to numbers with the addition of crossbows ...this I base on me and my results over the last 10 years ... in those ten years I have tagged EVERY deer I have shot at except a couple tree limb encounters ...what would my results have been with a compound before before my injuries???

Again my abilities... not yours as everyone is different ...but with a compound I would have had a couple of misses and/or likely a wound out of 20+ shots ...maybe more

So those of you who have a reason to investigate crossbows ...do your research ...put them to your shoulder ...read what real world users say about the +/- of bows that peak your interest ..go on line to someone like Cabela , Bass Pro etc and read customer reviews

whatever your choice ...it's still the person behind the equipment ...happy hunting

Bear
So we must look reviews of crossbow we would like to buy and make the plan to ensure there is no raining that day :)))

I really see crossbows as a lateral move compared to compounds. I've hunted and killed deer with both. Both are super easy to learn and use. Both use simple machines to overcome the difficulties of using longbows or re-curves. One is held vertically and one one horizontally, but on premise and function they have the same results. Each has advantages in certain situations but they are so similar (and both so far removed from traditional archery) that I can't classify them different from each other. Throw in stuff like scent proof boxes on stilts, scent hiding technology, cell trail cams with instant pic texts/email, feeders, etc... I'm surprised anyone who uses this type of stuff (including a compound) would object to a crossbow, but it is what it is and really it's none of my business.

I don't think these weapons are what is hurting hunting and recruitment. I think leasing and State $$$ grubbing is what's going to hurt our group the most. Lots of young people are just going to find it too expensive and unrewarding to take up hunting. Heck, a bow is $1000, arrows $100, broadheads $30, a tag is $30, land to hunt is going to be $500 and up (per yr), clothing and boots $200. It adds up quick for a 16yr old! An XBox is a lot cheaper and easier to be successful on. I'm guess the State's next move will be to separate crossbow, archery, muzzleloader, and rifle season and sell a separate tag for each that can be upgraded to an Any-season Tag for an extra $15. They will still sell the same number of tags but generate 50% more money as a lot of people will not want to hunt just one of those season.

Just to be clear, I have never shot a deer with traditional archery equipment. I have shot a lot with a compound and a couple with a crossbow and both weapons are equally easy to kill a deer with. I would be fine with regulations taking crossbows out of archery season (I was never for inclusion to begin with), but I feel that compounds "should" follow with them as both are so equally removed from traditional equipment and both leave the door open for new technology that resembles a bow even less than they already do.

Come on man.

I shoot every weekend. Shot 60 arrows this weekend. Was #1 and #2 in my last 2 3D's and the longest I have ever center punched a deer is 48 yards.

No way I could do it at 100 and be confident.

75-100 yards is a new game. My taxidermy bill would have been a lot bigger last year if I shot an xbow. Kind of sad for us die hard hunters. More about killing than the chase

Only the unethical are gonna shoot to kill beyond 60 yds. I own/shoot Ravin9 & it pisses me off they advertise like a gun & out to 100 yds

Last edited:
I see all the gashing and knashing over the application of crossbows during archery seasons and I would like to throw out some thoughts ...I'm not selling anything here ...just kind of sharing some of my life's experience and resulting thoughts
For the record I have been retired for 10 years ...been thru 3 shoulder surgeries ...and 2 degenerated discs
So I crossed over from a compound to a crossbow over 10 years ago (Dr's permit here in Missouri until this past season)
The things I have come to believe to be true:
My 60/70/80 hour work weeks before retirement had me lying to myself about how much practice I needed and or actually did ...I am being critical of me ...you judge your own self ..
With my compound I have done it all ...kill, miss and wound
10 years of crossbow I have killed 20+ deer ...dead ...period ...but with some clarification ...(1 kill was luck in that I caught a tree limb and got a spine hit instead of a double lung) and two additional clean misses from branch hits
With the crossbow AND retirement .....I obviously had TIME ...time for the right shots ...time to learn the dynamics of weapon of choice and sound and deer and apply that to both my past compound experience as well as my current crossbow learning curve..
My 65lb Bear compound is quieter than any of the 4 crossbows I have owned ...with my compound sound wise I could reasonably expect a relaxed deer to be a harvested deer out to 30 to 35 yards ...30 no wind or rain ...35 with rain ....my FIRST crossbow was about 230fps with a 465grain arrow ...yes an arrow ...the 230fps crossbow rig's noise reduced the the relaxed deer sure kill to 25 yards and another 2-4 yards with wind/rain ....as my arrow speeds increased thru progressive crossbows I am now at 360fps ....this speed seems to be about where present design and material availability keep the crossbow in the everyday shooter category that only asks for rail lube and string wax ...I make this statement as reliable with the good crossbows ...there are a few "brands" who do not have long life results whether cheap parts or or bad quality control ....just research the bow forums ..you will quickly understand this statement
But approaching the 400fps level and above crossbow ... two things seem to start happening ...the $$ starts getting kinda to all the way Krazy ...secondly ...the performance demanded of the very small unit hunters demand seems to take it's toll of most of the major "working" components ....I realize there are always exceptions to everything but again ...this is more directed to the average "Joe" like me ..think this out ....most deer hunters will settle for a 3 to 4" group at 100 yards ...but the benchrest guy is willing to move heaven and earth for that single ragged hole ...just like guys who think arrow speed is everything

Well speed is NOT everything ...at least not to me but each their own ...with my first crossbow pass thru was an every other time thing depending on distance/angle ....with the 360fps I have had all pass thru on over 20 deer with the exception of a spine shot ( speed above 360fps does not appreciably extend range) ( as in sound arrival vs arrow)

Yes I can pickup a crossbow with optics anytime and nail a desert size paper plate at 75 yards ...under 40 yards I have to either pull arrows after each shot or shoot at a different spot each shot or I will stack'em

Bottom line ...hunter ethics , respect for the deer or simply.... the person behind the equipment are what really counts

I Read where many of the oldest crossbow use states are not reporting any appreciable archery harvests

I would think there would have have to be some hump to numbers with the addition of crossbows ...this I base on me and my results over the last 10 years ... in those ten years I have tagged EVERY deer I have shot at except a couple tree limb encounters ...what would my results have been with a compound before before my injuries???

Again my abilities... not yours as everyone is different ...but with a compound I would have had a couple of misses and/or likely a wound out of 20+ shots ...maybe more

So those of you who have a reason to investigate crossbows ...do your research ...put them to your shoulder ...read what real world users say about the +/- of bows that peak your interest ..go on line to someone like Cabela , Bass Pro etc and read customer reviews

whatever your choice ...it's still the person behind the equipment ...happy hunting

Bear
Is archery hunting in the rain ethical? Looking for and finding a deer that's been hit with an arrow is very dependent on a blood trail. For this reason I don't archery hunt in the rain, unless it's just a passing shower or just dripping a little.

Is archery hunting in the rain ethical? Looking for and finding a deer that's been hit with an arrow is very dependent on a blood trail. For this reason I don't archery hunt in the rain, unless it's just a passing shower or just dripping a little.
Luminol, aka, bloodglow. The stuff is amazing. Rain is no longer an issue for blood trails. In fact, it works better in the rain. It should be in every hunter's bag of stuff.
Not a replacement for blood trailing skills, but it's a fantastic tool for a last resort.

Age is starting to take a toll on me. I have been grounded. Bad Back, Bad Knees, Bad Shoulders ect... So this year I rifle hunted from the ground for the first time in the last 45 years. I sold my Compound. I'm leaving my hunting club. Terrain is steep Mountain and I'm not up to it, but I don't want to quit hunting... Looks like I'm gonna be in the market for a mid price range compound bow. There is a WMA 30 miles from my house that I can Bow Hunt Mid October thru Mid February, or I can hunt some rifle hunts weather permitting... Weather hasn't been kind this year.
SO... I went on a scouting trip to BASS PRO SHOP and looked at Compound bows. I think I'll buy a Ten Point when I get my Income Tax money back... It will keep me in the game a couple more years...

Back