Chinese Chestnut Seedlings

KSQ2

What is going on with these? We have multiple seedlings coming up, stalling out, and then growing multiple shoots.
C31912E3-6D64-448B-98EA-2D7BD9CF5892.jpeg
For comparison, this is the only one that looks normal.
B3DDAF96-2DC8-4F08-A0A1-EC257AF8347C.jpeg

It’s not necessarily uncommon to have a multiple embryo chestnut. I’d let it go and once you have your first set of leaves prune the weaker shoots off at the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s not necessarily uncommon to have a multiple embryo chestnut. I’d let it go and once you have your first set of leaves prune the weaker shoots off at the ground.

Does it slow them down some? The single shoot, was the last up of those that have broken ground, and it’s outpacing the others by far.

Does it slow them down some? The single shoot, was the last up of those that have broken ground, and it’s outpacing the others by far.

Yes it will slow them down and even stunt their growth sometimes which is why you need to clip the other shoots off once the viable one is determined.

Matt

I can’t figure out these chestnuts, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing wrong. I’m planning to stop watering them, maybe I’m drowning them?
They simply look horrible, the best one hasn’t grown in over a week. The tips of the little leaves are bringing to brown and curl.
1D453F2E-FA60-4A47-92D2-4477B90C98F4.jpeg
In the meantime, this is what my father-in-law’s trees are looking like, planted a few days after mine.
C7994446-57C7-4762-B8A5-434608B5F673.jpeg

What media are you growing them in( soil v soilless)?

How much sun are they getting?

How often are you watering them?

Are you fertilizing them?

bill

What media are you growing them in( soil v soilless)?

How much sun are they getting?

How often are you watering them?

Are you fertilizing them?

bill
They get about 2.5 hours of sun at mid morning. I was watering them every 4 days. I used a 50/50 mixture of potting soil and regular dirt from our pile.

On the plus side, the crazy producing, burr oak acorn I planted is finally above ground and looking good so far.

Usually with leaf curl the plant is going through some type of shock. Too much sun, too much water, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering about too much water, gonna let them dry out for a while.

Herbicide exposure can also cause leaf curl. I’ve had this happen to me when a farmer contracted with a local crop duster to have a nearby field field sprayed. The wind caused some of the spray, in this case glyphosate, to drift over to my trees. Didn’t kill them but caused the leaves to curl badly.

Matt

Herbicide exposure can also cause leaf curl. I’ve had this happen to me when a farmer contracted with a local crop duster to have a nearby field field sprayed. The wind caused some of the spray, in this case glyphosate, to drift over to my trees. Didn’t kill them but caused the leaves to curl badly.

Matt

I don't think that should be an issue, nothing else in the yard is showing any ill effects and I don't know of any spraying that has taken place around the house. I'm guessing it's a combination of burying the seeds too deep and too much water. Hopefully they'll pull out of it. If not, next year I'll do better.

Back