Chestnut

I am not qualified to answer. Why? I have never seen an American in person. Had my fill of experts in my old job that had no experience but acted like they did. I do see some good hooks on the leaves.

You will get feedback from the right folks.

Letemgrow is the American Chestnut guy. I'm going to say that it looks to have coppiced from the stump, which is what American Chestnut does when blight top kills it.

This is not an American chestnut. It could be a hybrid by the tree form but the leaves are too waxie, like an oak. The leaves do not have the same fishook pattern as an American and have the profile of a Chinese.
If anyone is interested in identifying information I have an email with side by side identifying pictures. Just email me fajknichols.75@gmail.com
Also, SUNY-ESF in Syracuse has developed a blight resistant American chestnut through genetic ingineering that should be approved for distribution in about 3 years. See pictures of American chestnut leaves and pictures of the new blight resistant seedling, that were inoculated with the blight, 3 weeks and 6 weeks after inoculation
https://theconversation.com/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-the-decimated-iconic-tree-52191American Chestnut leaves 001.jpg American Chestnut leaves 001.jpg Blight resistant tree innoculations.png inoculoation1.jpg inoculation2.jpg

This is not an American chestnut. It could be a hybrid by the tree form but the leaves are too waxie, like an oak. The leaves do not have the same fishook pattern as an American and have the profile of a Chinese.
If anyone is interested in identifying information I have an email with side by side identifying pictures. Just email me fajknichols.75@gmail.com
Also, SUNY-ESF in Syracuse has developed a blight resistant American chestnut through genetic ingineering that should be approved for distribution in about 3 years. See pictures of American chestnut leaves and pictures of the new blight resistant seedling, that were inoculated with the blight, 3 weeks and 6 weeks after inoculation
https://theconversation.com/new-genetically-engineered-american-chestnut-will-help-restore-the-decimated-iconic-tree-52191View attachment 2471 View attachment 2471 View attachment 2472 View attachment 2473 View attachment 2474

Are the leaf pix true American?

Back