Chestnut - Prune or leave alone?

j-bird

I have a Dunstan Chestnut that was planted in 2015. This tree is healthy and doing OK - but this year I noticed something I had not before. The tree has developed essentially a second leader. Part of me says "prune this off later once dormant" the other side says - "that's a lot of groth to remove".

So to those of you with experience with this stuff......do I prune this off later or is it ok?

The amount of leaves and size is about equal to both the "branch" as well as the "leader". My long term concern is the this causing the tree to be split and be damage later in life. The "stick" in the back is a support stick and not part of the tree.
chestnut trim.jpg

Are you referring to the "y" shape in the picture? It's hard for me to tell. How far off the ground is that?

I'd prune it, but also use some rope to stabilize the top while the wound heals. Have pruned quite a few trees like that and they can get weak where the pruning cut is, causing it to lean or snap on a strong wind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don't prune chestnuts. That branching is a trait of chinese chestnuts (which is all I grow) but even though Dunstans are suppose to be hybrids I think most are A LOT more chinese than American. So, I'd leave it alone. Mast production is what it's about, not form.

I don't prune chestnuts. That branching is a trait of chinese chestnuts (which is all I grow) but even though Dunstans are suppose to be hybrids I think most are A LOT more chinese than American. So, I'd leave it alone. Mast production is what it's about, not form.
agreed

I prune mine when they are like that. I want a main, straight trunk. Don't prune it now though...wait until the tree is dormant.

That's not the preferred growth form of chinese chestnuts for maximum production though (although, I admit, that is aesthetically pleasing).

That's ok. It can do whatever it wants 8 feet off the ground...lower than that I want it straight.

Just found this:

4cff337e862efee502974553157a7368.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

This "fork" is only about 24" off the ground or so. My biggest concern is this branch has as much content to it as the central leader does. My fear is at some point this causing a weak point in the tree and splitting it in half. Right now it's caged so its somewhat supported. I think maybe I leave it be until I'm ready to remove the cage in a few years. This tree is in an "orchard" setting so the branch will go eventually so I can mow, but it will wait for now.

I don't have any experience with chestnuts that size but if it was an oak or other mast producing tree i'd prune it by a third leaving a good secondary leader. After 1-2 years it had a bigger caliper than the main leader I'd cut it off at the collar and let the main leader take it from there. Around here it would probably split from an ice storm anyway if the secondary leader was largest.

All I know is there are a crap-ton of chinese chestnuts around my community that obviously started out like that and still grow that way and we have major ice storms here in the winters and I've never seen one of them split. Though I have seen numerous sawtooths split like a peeled banana over the years.

This "fork" is only about 24" off the ground or so. My biggest concern is this branch has as much content to it as the central leader does. My fear is at some point this causing a weak point in the tree and splitting it in half. Right now it's caged so its somewhat supported. I think maybe I leave it be until I'm ready to remove the cage in a few years. This tree is in an "orchard" setting so the branch will go eventually so I can mow, but it will wait for now.

I wouldn't leave it until you remove the cage that's a lot of energy to go into that branch to knowingly remove later. If you are going to remove it I would do it late next winter and it will be out of your way for future mowing.

Back