cheap deer exclusion cage needed

Mitch

After watching my deer density increase over the past year they have seemed to take a liking to the tops of my fruit trees. My trees are tubed, but the tops are now out of the tube and the deer visit them regularly. I need a plan to keep them off. Trying to keep it cheap and wanting to know what works for everyone.

Mitch

Most folks use wire mesh used for concrete or old woven wire fence. I use a few "T" posts and any sort of wire fencing I can get my hands on that is reasonable. When I plant container trees I plan on spending about just as much per tree to protect them.

Weed fabric on the ground, and then a layer of stone, gravel to hold the fabric to reduce weeds but allow moisture to move thru. I set at least 1 "T" lost or more to secure the wire fence to. I like to use something that is or will be at least 5 feet tall. I have seen some folks use 3 feet tall and just wire it to the posts 2 feet off the ground. Add a wire wire mesh tube around the trunk of the tree at ground level to keep rodents from chewing off the bark - this needs to be tall enough to account for your typical snow fall as these critters can set on the snow and eat your tree. I make my outer cage roughly 5 or 6 feet in diameter - if your trees are not branching you can go smaller. Just some quick math - the length of flat fence you need is roughly 3 times the diameter you want it. Use wire to close the cage and to retain it to your "T" posts.

Electric fence does it well.Super easy to do and its one big cage.I also think its cheaper than those cages once you buy the wire, 2 t posts per tree,weed fabric ect.The electric fence allows you to get up close to your trees and prune,clear weeds,collect fruit ect.

I use concrete remesh. What is common here is five foot wide and the mesh is 6"x6". Makes it easy to count off the squares to get the circumference you want. I cut the wire in the center and this leaves a tag end to wrap around and make the circular cage. I then use rebar ties to attach to t-post.

The cheapest thing I've seen is using old pallets. A friend picks up old pallets at a company and then stand three of them in a trianble around his trees. He uses old coat hangers to wire them together. Last time I was at his property, he had about 60 trees protected that way. Plus, as they rot they provide soil amendments.

The cheapest thing I've seen is using old pallets. A friend picks up old pallets at a company and then stand three of them in a trianble around his trees. He uses old coat hangers to wire them together. Last time I was at his property, he had about 60 trees protected that way. Plus, as they rot they provide soil amendments.
I would assume that would provide some shade to the ground at the trunk too...keeping it from drying out faster than the ground with direct sunlight....?

Back