buying new gun need help

10 yards to 200 yards

• Total voters

snyderracing

Im stuck between 7mm-08 or 25-06 where i hunt is open i have had deer under 10 yards and out to 200 yards. so what wld be better at closer range between them im kinda thinking the 25-06 bullet wld explode at that close range .

At 10 yards it doesn't matter what caliber you hit the deer with, it aint gonna be pretty

Well ...being a practical thinker and I know you have already settled between 2 calibers but I submit cost of ammo ... availability of ammo ...versatility of the caliber prompts me to suggest the .308 Winchester ...light to heavy bullets ...reduced recoil ammo ...and often promoted with price discounts due to popularity ...just saying keep an open mind

Bear

.308 is a great choice if recoil bothers you and you just want a gun for deer size animals.my fav is a 7mag another is 30.06

.308 is a great choice if recoil bothers you and you just want a gun for deer size animals.my fav is a 7mag another is 30.06

i have no problem with recoil i have just always like the smaller rounds idk why the 243 is my favorite but my 243 loves 87gr sst and i want something with more penetration. to use on deer.

You can't go wrong with a .308- it's very popular and has been mentioned on here several times. Although I have never owned either of the two choices you are entertaining, they are very popular calibers. The .25-06 is a speedster from what I have read.

The 308 is the best deer cartridge ever made as long as you want to deer hunt and not deer shoot. At 500 yards there are better rounds, at 100-250 I don't think there is a more perfect match for deer size game then the old 308. Performance out of the 7 mm -08 will be about identical but with harder to find ammo. Every walmart in the US will have 308.

Back