NEW TO THE FORUM NEED SOME OPINIONS ON A DEER

kovar

So this past weekend i had the honors of going out to my cousins house in upstate ny with my uncle and my grandfather who is 76 years old. it was the most active day i had in the woods seeing over 10 deer, watchin a spike chase a doe and getting a nice buck to respond back to me after a long deep grunt. the buck that was a very nice 6 came down the steep hill as well with a spike horn. to my back 2 does have also made there way in. as i got the 6 to come into range he stepped out enough for me to put a shot down on the kill zone. i was steady i exhaled i squeezed smoothly and stared down the scope. the buck jumped and proceeded to slowly wonder another ten yards. i thought for sure i hit him. he then proceeded to put his head down and start feeding. all the other deer spooked and booked it. i racked another round into my marlin 30 06 with a 150 grain winchester super x. the shot was no more then 35 yards away (1st shot). i took a second shot that was a split decision given the shooting lanes and cover, i hung left and just barley missed. THE DEER DID NOT FLINCH. as i started to lose sight (no more than 60 yards but its thick woods) i heard him stop and let out a week moan. a moan similar to deer i have shot before. i waited thirty minutes got down and started looking for blood NOTHING no hair no bone nothing. i was certain i put it right behind the shoulder. i lost day light, my uncle cousin and i went back out looking for blood nothing. my uncle believes i missed and thats fine i have no problem with swallowing my pride on missing a deer. but to me the deer was in shock the shot was to close for the round and for what ever reason the deer did not spill any blood even on a possible heart or lung shot. i belive the deer is still in the woods. its been 2 days since i shot they got a foot of snow the following moring and its remained freezing. im about to get in my truck and drive the 3 hours back and do a full search, maybe even bring my buddies bird dog. please someone give me some insight this would be my first nice buck. my gramps belives i hit it as well. thanks for any help sorry for the long novel but im lost and im certain i hit him. no bullet marks in trees no turned leaves. it wouldve been very obvious given the circumstances had i missed. thanks

If it was a chest shot at that close then that deer would have more than likely took off in a hurry. Many gut shot deer will hunch up and slowly walk away. If the deer started feeding after the first shot then I would say a clean miss. I would shoot the rifle and make sure it is still zeroed in.

im going to do so thursday. i shot it this summer at and 8 inch diameter steel plate from 50 yards no rest and it was slightly high but still on the target. i just dont get why he would give out a dieing moan if i missed and he stuck around through out all of this even after a second shot. thanks for the reply much appreciated.

Taylor,

Welcome to the forum. I believe you enjoy the folks and information provided here. Regarding the gun, I would be checking it accuracy with a rock solid rest. The no rest stuff is not how you should be approaching the accuracy issue.

Everything that DogDoc stated is spot on. Based upon your reply I am going to suggest you missed the deer high at a close distance.

I believe you are approaching the situation correctly in that you are going back to be sure there is not a dead buck in the woods.

Watch for buzzards and listen for crows. Those are two tells that a deer is dead. If you hear coyotes that are excited that is another tell.

Don't be discouraged - please change your approach to zeroing a rifle. I would think a three shot group within a dime or penny at 50 yards would give me the confidence level I want to put an animal down efficiently.

Hope your news is good news. Once again welcome to this forum. Glad to have you with us.

Experienced hunters miss from time to time. I read again, does this weapon have a scope or iron sights?

that wasnt how i zeroed it i was just shooting with a few friends. i zerod it with a rest 2 seasons ago. it SHOULD be on. again thanks for the reply any advice is taken into consideration and thanks for the welcoming. like i said we went back looked for blood it was dark and then we got a foot of snow so its definitely a tough one to say the least. thanks.

has a nikon 3x9 its possible i missed but i felt very confident in the shot. and the deer to me looked shocked. i wacked a doe with a slick trick 100 grain one season jumped up walked a few yards. acted like it wasnt hit, started feeding took its head back up got the sways and went over. clean shot through the shoulder into the heart. im just trying to rationalize any possibility. thanks for the reply.

Scopes can react to a slight jar or knock. Point is two seasons ago is a long time. Put it on a rest and get the first two shots to group properly and then you know it is still on. The very reason I wanted to know if it had a scope was to say if you missed at that distance I am guessing the scope is no longer zeroed. It once was - but two years later it has reacted to some jar or knock.

We call this hunting and gaining experience.

Big difference between an arrow and a bullet. Good piece of advise is to check your zero before every season. Doesn't take much for a scope to get off zero of its bumped. I have 3 different rifles that I deer hunt with. They all get shot prior to season to make sure they are still on. I have shot quite a few deer and have never had one make a death moan. Might just have been making a grunt.

Good luck buddy
Todd

couldnt agree with you more im usually on top of it. ill post an update after i put it on the rest thursday. talked to my cousin hes going to scan the woods again he said hes had very similar instance happen.

Kovar,

Got your username updated. Good deal. Check all of the scope mounts and make sure everything is tight. This is one other thing that can cause a gun to become inaccurate. Simply snug all screws before you shot it - not after.

awesome thankyou. ill be sure to do so ill keep the post updated. gunna get a shot at redmeption this weekend in ct after i put the gun on paper.

Did you buy chance but different ammo to use than you zeroed the gun with? I have seen different ammo print differently. I too had a clean miss just a few days ago at 50 yards - I pulled the shot. It wasn't the gun - it was me. You may have paniced and pulled the shot. Every deer I have ever shot with any weapon and hit the deer reacted in at least some manner. I would think you got a clean miss or a gut shot - just my opinion..... Good luck.

I'm like the others, before season, shoot the rifle to make sure it's on. May only be one shot if it's on because I'm not one to waste ammo.
I think you missed cleanly. I've never had a hit deer stand around and continue feeding, much less moan...unless it's expiring.

Back