butyrac in clover question

Can I do throw n mow clover and chicory with imazethapyr? That is cut field, wait week, then spray imazethapyr and same day spread clover seed and chicory seed in the stubble, and fertilize. The clethodim kills the johnsongrass totally dead but three weeks later it is coming back/resprouting. I was hoping imazethapyr would last longer with residual effect, and possibly save me a few 4hour trips to the woods. thanks again for your replies

Give your clover a chance till the end of this month. Aug clover for me is typically looks terrible with heat and drought of summer. Then typically by mid Sept it is thick and lush again. Of course this years drought for me is much different scenario.
I agree with TnM clover each fall or spring and overseed with grain to help control grasses. I don't spray often and don't give much worry of grasses, mainly using Cleth to spray. I have used Imox and it is good but not worth the expense in my opinion for grass in clover. The deer still camp in my yard even tho its more grass than clover. They don't care.

From label:
Replanting: Do not plant alfalfa or clover for 4 months following a Willowood Imazethapyr 2SL application,

if replanting is necessary to a field that has been previously treated with Willowood Imazethapyr 2SL. Refer

to the ROTATIONAL CROP section of this label for plant-back intervals of crops.
So it looks like Imazethapr is not an option for now with 4 month waiting period for replant? Next time I can get away from Ida cleanup I will go try mix of 10 gallons water , 16 oz Clethodim with 16 oz %41 glyphosate and 13 oz surfactant for 1 acre plot. Hope these are correct amounts as no time to slow play weeds this year. Many times over the last 4 years of learning plotting I have read "you can't grow perrennial clover in the south because of the heat". But it is not the heat, the clover is actually fine, its the crazy aggressive weeds that are the challenge.

From label:
Replanting: Do not plant alfalfa or clover for 4 months following a Willowood Imazethapyr 2SL application,

if replanting is necessary to a field that has been previously treated with Willowood Imazethapyr 2SL. Refer

to the ROTATIONAL CROP section of this label for plant-back intervals of crops.
So it looks like Imazethapr is not an option for now with 4 month waiting period for replant? Next time I can get away from Ida cleanup I will go try mix of 10 gallons water , 16 oz Clethodim with 16 oz %41 glyphosate and 13 oz surfactant for 1 acre plot. Hope these are correct amounts as no time to slow play weeds this year. Many times over the last 4 years of learning plotting I have read "you can't grow perrennial clover in the south because of the heat". But it is not the heat, the clover is actually fine, its the crazy aggressive weeds that are the challenge.
Throw n mow with clethodim like you wanted to do with imazethapyr in your first post, then hit the Johnson grass with imazethapyr 2sl once the clover is established.
I regularly interseed fall rye and spring oats into my clover as much for it's grass suppression and soil balancing as I do for deer feed. Small grains into clover is the poor man's herbicide application.
So with my clover plots I'm always looking for a 3-4 month window of time do one of these following four things (because they can't overlap): cleth, imazethapyr, oats (spring) rye (fall), and sometimes Butyrac200 as well. Overseeding more clover goes on with the small grain as necessary. A mowing often proceeds or accompanies each one of these processes. If it sounds complicated it really isn't, clover is very low maintenance crop, any one of these applications only takes an hour or less per acre from start to finish and 4 months doesn't come around often.
Practice, trial and error, staying off the field when its hot and dry, mixing it up with a different herbicide at every application are some of the keys to nice clover.

Clover didn't make it through August. Weeds won so I did glypho then throw n mow. Center strip is 6 point chicory, outer strips are are re-seeded durana clover. Both planted Sep 25. Clover barely coming in yet but still have hope. Chicory doing great. The chicory is not really getting eaten yet, last year it was getting hammered by deer. Have not had freezing temps yet. As I understand it the chicory changes flavor after freeze. Is this correct? Also the chicory is pushing 12 inches tall now. Should I mow it to remove old leaves and promote tender new growth?? Season opens next weekend, good luck to all.

Attachments

• IMG_3937.jpg
    IMG_3937.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
I have been spring fertilizing perennial Durana clover with 0-20-20 at 100 lbs acre but 0-20-20 is nowhere to be found. I can get 8-24-24. Will 8-24-24 at 100 lbs. acre hurt clover? Thanks in advance. I am in the deep south where the heat is coming soon .

Back