Bowhunting from tower blind advice

Kwood

I recently built an octogon shaped tower blind. It's raised 8' in air and has deerview Windows on all sides.

It is placed on a Levy that separated out CRP grass from a 3 acre standing bean field. I have a few questions for those that hunt out of these things. I'm new to it.

1) seems like camera pictures are way down in area since putting it up. It's been a month. Do you think they are weary of this, or would it likely be the fact that the beans are just turning yellow and not as desirable?

2) I hunted opening evening 10/1, and saw a few does btw, 75-100 yards. I know they couldn't wind me but they stared right at me. I don't currently use curtains on Windows but thinking I need to get those for whatever Windows are directly behind me. Can someone speak to this?

3) what is best strategy with windows open/closed. Should I just open the window that is directly into the wind, and never open the down wind Windows?

4) someone please give me some advice, haha... Thanks!

I've been hunting out of tower blinds for years now and have shot several bucks out of it. Yes they will get use to it being there, might take a while but they will. And yes use window curtains if you can, I have had that exact same issue with deer seeing my silhouette through the window. I usually keep the window facing the wind closed and the downwind one too if its really blowing, if the wind is calm I like to keep them open in case something pops out quickly

Like boot said, they get used to them. I think maybe it is the food source that is causing less pics. If they are ag beans they have probably turned yellow by now and the deer really won't eat on them much till it gets colder. If there is a good source of acorns dropping nearby they will be going there.

I use black landscaping material for window blinds, it really helps keep the inside dark.

I like to keep my windows closed as long as possible, with that said each situation is different. Wind is still your friend or enemy depending how you work with it.

As for myself, I never have windows in the back of the blind, just on the three other sides. I had my blinds built with the door in the back, always back them up to cover and in the shade if possible. Keeps them dark mostly. But in ag country, I can see how that could be difficult. At least cover the windows you're not using.

Tonight I made custom covers with black-out shades. I'll have one for each window. It's an Octagon, so I think my plan will be to have 5 windows covered at all time. I'll leave the three uncovered that are the most directly into the wind. Those likely would be the only ones I'd shoot out of with a bow. If it were gun, I may do it a little differently.

Will report back how that works, but I imagine that will help a bit.

I cover the back with just landscape fabric and wear black. Wearing black makes a huge difference never had an issue. I have the deer view windows and only open them when needed to control scent there was a 5 year old shot with a bow out of one of mine. I did have pictures in front of my blind the afternoon we set it up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I cover the back with just landscape fabric and wear black. Wearing black makes a huge difference never had an issue. I have the deer view windows and only open them when needed to control scent there was a 5 year old shot with a bow out of one of mine. I did have pictures in front of my blind the afternoon we set it up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
This exactly what I do/use. You can through the fabric, and some rangefinders will range through. Once you understand likely deer movement, I keep as few windows open as possible, preferably one. I'll have them unlatched, and the gasket seal broken so they can be opened quietly.

I paint the inside of my houses black, wear dark clothing and sit back from the windows. I only have windows on 3 sides and leave them all closed until deer/shooter is spotted. Then, I only open 1 as needed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Good advice so far
I just changed an open 14' tower blind over to a 6'X6' box blind 5 weeks ago
a week ago I walked by the tower blind and 3 does were bedded down in the standing corn beside the blind
day before yesterday I propped open the one window (3 windows and 1 door) I wanted to hunt from in my new box blind (the "window" was just an 18"X30" cutout of the plywood sheet ..hinged at the top so propped open swinging out and up but on edge to the field) ...no other windows or doors open to outline me
that evening ...with dark clothes... face mask n gloves ...sitting far back from the window ...3 does came into the plot full of silage beans ...one looked over at the box blind and hauled butt ...the second looked and followed the first ...the third stayed a bit ...wanted to graze but kept checking the box and left ...10 min later a nice 10 came thru the does exact trail ..moped a moment ..looked at the box ...and followed the does exit path (all were 80+ yards)

BOTTOM LINE ...your box has got to look the same way vacant or inhabited ...so my window now stays open the minimum amount need to hunt and I have stapled to the inside of the box the shoot thru camo mesh out of an old ground blind

Have a good and safe year
Bear

Back