Binocular Reviews

Mennoniteman

I wanted to upgrade my goto hunting binocs, my 15 year old Leupold Wind River's are getting some play in the focus ring, so after checking out some different models I settled a new pair and thought I would share, maybe someone else has a favorite hunting glass that they want to show off as well.
My requirements were; relatively lightweight and compact, higher power for open spaces, and $300 or less so that the pain isn't as bad if they get smashed, because I use them a lot and they often ride in a day pack.
I settled on a pair of Nikon 12x42 Monarch 5 Binoculars as being about the best glass in my price range, and that seemed to fit me, for $259, cheapest new price on Amazon.
Likes; all of the above. Picture is crisp and clear. With 12X a prop is in order for long viewing times, but I can see better at distance than 10X.
Dislikes thus far, rear dust covers seem chintzy, they slide up and down on the strap, maybe I'm just not used to this type of cover.
6f7d52f654046f15bedf541732af3882.jpg
4608089c3ef9033694a19b5a36bc1dbe.jpg
110a6f95b6e1742cf12c799fee97c012.jpg

I have those Nikon in a 10x42. They are ok but not gonna deny it, I like my older Wind Rivers better. The Nikon rides in the Jeep most of the time.

I use Nikon10x42 also, pretty good glass for a deer hunter in my part of Texas. My main requirements are to identify does from bucks in the woods and then to evaluate bucks for age, mostly at 150 yards or less.

If I were contemplating a new bino, I would definitely look into Maven. They’re only sold by Maven or Amazon, and a friend I trust, (who has some top dollar glass also), says they’re almost Leica or Swaro quality for a much cheaper price. I delved into that a little, and found the B series (which he recommends) to be under a $1,000 for 10x42. Not cheap, but not $2,500 either !

The reason I was interested was that this fall my bino just seemed a little fuzzy compared to years past. Dumbassed me forgot that I had eye surgery last May on my right eye, and just a little refocusing on the right diopter brought them back to new. Whew ! Saved my wife some money ! :D

I like the vortex and have had several pair of nikons and vortex but the only fact is it seems like in glass it does matter what you pay.I have a pair of swaro that i get to open christmas morning,I still may use the vortex for some hunts but I got tired of looking at deer and couldn't tell if buck or doe until I looked through buddys

Love my vortex viper HDS. They run around 500 bucks but have been well worth it to me. Vortex also has a great customer service and warranty so I’m not afraid at all to use and abuse them.

I’m a bit of an alpha glass junkie (Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss) but keep lesser binos around for my boys to use/keep at the farm. For value, the best I’ve found is an online only outfit called Tract which uses German glass/Japanese manufacturing. On sale, they can be found for $600. In my opinion, you have to spend $1k more to see any improvement. If you do lots of glassing, particularly in low light, the money is well spent.

the cheapest place I found to buy binos and cameras is camera land of new york.they were same price as cabelas on sale plus no sales tax

the cheapest place I found to buy binos and cameras is camera land of new york.they were same price as cabelas on sale plus no sales tax
I agree. They used to be 2 blocks from my office. Their move has saved me $:). FYI, they periodically sell demos at great prices. Also, they offer up special pricing if you mention 24hour campfire forum.

Vortex is hard to beat for their price range...like mentioned above. Clear glass, could probably throw them down a mountain and work just fine. Their warranty and customer service are top notch. Plus offer a great military discount.

However, believe recently they started manufacturing in Japan or China for some of their low end models, so not sure how feel about that.

By the time a deer is visible to me where I hunt he is generally in bow range or will be within the minute so I don’t use any binoculars...when I was younger I thought they were cool but I tend to travel super light when I am hunting and binoculars don’t make the cut...

By the time a deer is visible to me where I hunt he is generally in bow range or will be within the minute so I don’t use any binoculars...when I was younger I thought they were cool but I tend to travel super light when I am hunting and binoculars don’t make the cut...
I usually don't carry binoculars while archery hunting in an open stand either, too much movement. But an all day hunt, especially in a blind can get to be a long day, and a good pair of binoculars can help liven things up.

I never did carry binocs either... but I'll ck back for your opinion in 12 years.:cool:

I never did carry binocs either... but I'll ck back for your opinion in 12 years.:cool:
Unless I find myself hunting fields as I age I am pretty sure it’s gonna be the same...I already wear glasses and I know most every buck I hunt at a glance...

I usually don't carry binoculars while archery hunting in an open stand either, too much movement. But an all day hunt, especially in a blind can get to be a long day, and a good pair of binoculars can help liven things up.
My blind is even set up for bow and as soon as the deer is in view they are in bow range or will be really quickly...as you said...too much movement.

When hunting thick stuff, I too will leave the binos at camp. The optics on this unit are outstanding....and I simply use it to do double duty.
upload_2019-12-16_19-18-55.png

Vortex is hard to beat for their price range...like mentioned above. Clear glass, could probably throw them down a mountain and work just fine. Their warranty and customer service are top notch. Plus offer a great military discount.

However, believe recently they started manufacturing in Japan or China for some of their low end models, so not sure how feel about that.

I’ll 2nd this post. The quality and warranty is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, I have had a Vortex spotting scope set up at the house for 4 years and it rivals glass of ones twice its price. Reviews were always great on them. And no I don't have them aimed at neighbors house.
And I like carry binocs for couple reasons. When I still-hunt, I scan the brush hoping to find an outline of deer before they find mine, then plan a stalk. Second, especially when I'm in the Nosebleed stand that sits on a near vertical drop, once the leaves drop, I can watch one field that is 400 yds down in bottom ravine, and also my upper field half mile away. Always fun to watch nice buck chasing a hot doe across the field while sitting in stand seeing nothing.:(

Good info on the Nikons. I predominately wear binos for turkey hunting.. deer not so much. But I have to say Nikon and Vortex are both great brands. I bought a set of Hawkes for myself and wife. My family does birding and these are a good bang for the buck option. Most birding binos at the low end are $700, generally costing $1500-$2000. The bird guys I know that study professionally actually use Nikons, go figure.... I cant fathom that or understand the difference fully, when you are glassing the quality of glass does makes a big difference.

Back