Blue Seal Regular Oats?

Matlax

Does anyone have experience with Blue Seal regular oats? Local place stocks them but the owner doesn’t know much about food plots. I’m not sure if it matters which brand but my soil is pretty acidic and lacking nutrients (brand new plot, planting for first time). Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6633.jpeg
    IMG_6633.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
I can’t help with the oats, but get a soil test if you haven’t, and amend your soil to the best of your ability when you plant. Then, take another soil test in a few months and amend again. It usually takes me a couple times to get the ph right.

Thanks creek. Got the soil test and did about 1900 lbs pelletized lime per acre. I’ll do some fertilizer around planting time and more lime before planting. The soil will be a process. Hoping to have something in the ground at all times so I can keep discing it in and building organic matter.

Anyone else heard of this brand of seed? Thanks

If they are cheap, give them a try. I always mix with wheat and rye for variety, leaning heavier towards rye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t help with the oats, but get a soil test if you haven’t, and amend your soil to the best of your ability when you plant. Then, take another soil test in a few months and amend again. It usually takes me a couple times to get the ph right.
Mix in buckwheat if you're planting soon.

Thanks creek. Got the soil test and did about 1900 lbs pelletized lime per acre. I’ll do some fertilizer around planting time and more lime before planting. The soil will be a process. Hoping to have something in the ground at all times so I can keep discing it in and building organic matter.

I planted some Warm Season Soil Builder from Green Cover this year in my home plot. It looks like it will add quite a bit of organic matter. IMG_3422.jpeg

I think they are just plain old feed oats. Cheaper than buying seed oats but probably will have lower germination so increase the seed rate.

Here’s what I found:

I think they are just plain old feed oats. Cheaper than buying seed oats but probably will have lower germination so increase the seed rate.

Here’s what I found:

Thanks! Didn’t realize the difference but now it makes sense.

I planted some Warm Season Soil Builder from Green Cover this year in my home plot. It looks like it will add quite a bit of organic matter. View attachment 25641
I like the look of that! Any idea how it would do in acidic soil? I’m not too familiar with most of the species in it. Just curious how your soil is since they seem to like what you’ve got going on.

I like the look of that! Any idea how it would do in acidic soil? I’m not too familiar with most of the species in it. Just curious how your soil is since they seem to like what you’ve got going on.
My ph is pretty good last time I checked and I limed it last year to bring it up to snuff. It lacks in organic matter though and that’s why the crop you see. A lot of it I don’t think a deer is gonna eat but it’s gonna provide weed control and hopefully I can broadcast into it for my fall planting and terminate it. It does have buckwheat, sunn hemp, IC peas, and two kinds of beans, all of which deer will eat.

Does anyone have experience with Blue Seal regular oats? Local place stocks them but the owner doesn’t know much about food plots. I’m not sure if it matters which brand but my soil is pretty acidic and lacking nutrients (brand new plot, planting for first time). Thanks!
What was your pH? Is sandy or clay, and does it have any topsoil?

I'm not planting oats for awhile yet as at least in my area they will be too big by time season gets here

What was your pH? Is sandy or clay, and does it have any topsoil?
Soil samples were upper 4’s for pH but I’ve had good success on smaller WHI oats plots with no lime or fertilizer. It’s sandy with very little top soil and no ability to get any back to them. Definitely a work in progress!

Soil samples were upper 4’s for pH but I’ve had good success on smaller WHI oats plots with no lime or fertilizer. It’s sandy with very little top soil and no ability to get any back to them. Definitely a work in progress!

i used to hunt a place with extremely sandy soil, when I first bush hogged the opening the weeds were up to my armpits and thick. That was the start of my organic matter quest ! 😜 That fall I planted wheat and it grew, but not well. By the end of season it looked like green carpet and a close look saw little wheat and lots of natural forbs and grasses. For three years I planted spring and fall and just about the time the plot was getting much better I stopped hunting there. 😖 I relate all of this to say that sandy soil can be improved, but it’s a process. IMO, the thicker the crop, whatever it is, the more organic matter you will be able to add. Until I tried this Green Cover mix, buckwheat was my go to crop and it benefits bees and butterflies as well as deer. Pretty good at suppressing weeds too. Good luck !

No experience with that brand, but for low pH, low fertility soil, Winter Rye is a much better bet!

No experience with that brand, but for low pH, low fertility soil, Winter Rye is a much better bet!
Funny you mention the winter rye. I ended up putting some of that in on Friday because he had it cheap. Farmer buddy of mine swears it’s not too late and there was rain in the forecast Saturday and Sunday so I gave it a shot. I’ll be very curious to see if anything is happening at the end of the week. Glad to hear it’s a good one for acidic soil. I’m hoping it’s not too late in the spring season for it.

Funny you mention the winter rye. I ended up putting some of that in on Friday because he had it cheap. Farmer buddy of mine swears it’s not too late and there was rain in the forecast Saturday and Sunday so I gave it a shot. I’ll be very curious to see if anything is happening at the end of the week. Glad to hear it’s a good one for acidic soil. I’m hoping it’s not too late in the spring season for it.
Typically WR is planted in the fall. If you plant it this early, it will often be too mature to be attractive during hunting season. For a summer crop, Buckwheat is a good choice for poor soils.

Typically WR is planted in the fall. If you plant it this early, it will often be too mature to be attractive during hunting season. For a summer crop, Buckwheat is a good choice for poor soils.
My hope is I’ll be able to disc it in and plant again early September. Fingers crossed…

My hope is I’ll be able to disc it in and plant again early September. Fingers crossed…
Poor soils generally need OM. Tillage burns OM. No-till is the best approach in marginal soils. If you disc, do it very lightly. The field should look more green than brown when done. For cereal like WR and most small seed, surface broadcasting before a rain, or cultipacking after broadcasting is sufficient and it preserves any OM you have. To build OM, plan a combination of cereal with a legume. This balance of C and N will help build OM over time, but it does take years. This improves nutrient cycling.

Poor soils generally need OM. Tillage burns OM. No-till is the best approach in marginal soils. If you disc, do it very lightly. The field should look more green than brown when done. For cereal like WR and most small seed, surface broadcasting before a rain, or cultipacking after broadcasting is sufficient and it preserves any OM you have. To build OM, plan a combination of cereal with a legume. This balance of C and N will help build OM over time, but it does take years. This improves nutrient cycling.
Thanks yoder. How would you handle it if you had standing buckwheat and then wanted to do WR or WW in the fall?

Back