Blue hill

Received my order this week, after getting them in the ground today, unfortunately I was missing a few trees. Instead of Big 10 Apples and Turning Point crabs I got Chestnut Crabs and Millers persimmons. Reached out and hopefully hear back from them soon to see if it was a mistake or a substitution for some reason. Other than that, great looking trees!

Picked mine up Friday and planted them Saturday. All but one were two year old trees. They looked great. The one year old looked puny compared to the rest.

I didn’t know they did until I got this notification.

It seems like the rush to get his trees have died down or he has improved his website.

But either way my unnecessary order went through with no issue and I ordered 9 more pear trees.

I didn’t know they did until I got this notification.

It seems like the rush to get his trees have died down or he has improved his website.

But either way my unnecessary order went through with no issue and I ordered 9 more pear trees.
I've offered Ryan my technical expertise regarding his website over the last year or two. His main commentary was there were plenty of trees compared to previous years, starting last year, so there didn't need to be a huge first day rush. I think that's why he didn't pre-announce when the trees would go on sale this year. I think he also disabled the "in stock" notification system, which was likely affecting the website performance.

Help please!! What all trees will cross pollinate with the turning point fellas? The chestnut crab and the dolgo crab are sold out and they are the only ones listed on the website. I won’t order the turning points until I can order something to pollinate them.

Help please!! What all trees will cross pollinate with the turning point fellas? The chestnut crab and the dolgo crab are sold out and they are the only ones listed on the website. I won’t order the turning points until I can order something to pollinate them.
You need to talk with Ryan about this. Apple pollination is not nearly as tricky as some people think. You probably already have several other apples or crabapples that will pollinate Turning Point. I think if you discuss this with him your concerns will be lifted. And, if you don’t already have a pollinator, you can add later on. I grew a late flowering tree that didn’t flower until all the others around it were finished. That tree was still loaded every year.

You need to talk with Ryan about this. Apple pollination is not nearly as tricky as some people think. You probably already have several other apples or crabapples that will pollinate Turning Point. I think if you discuss this with him your concerns will be lifted. And, if you don’t already have a pollinator, you can add later on. I grew a late flowering tree that didn’t flower until all the others around it were finished. That tree was still loaded every year.
I wasn’t planning on putting these real close to the crabapples we already have. Maybe 80-90 yards?

If I wait too long, in order to talk to Ryan, I’m afraid I’ll not get the turning points.

Anyone have any experience with late dropping crabapples Ryan at bluehill sells?
My trees from him are still young and just beginning to start fruiting. I do have a good crop of Big Dog this year, and it is highly DR. My Sweet November only has two apples this year but it looks incredible so far. None of his trees that I have get CAR or Scab to any significant degree. And so far no FB either.

I wasn’t planning on putting these real close to the crabapples we already have. Maybe 80-90 yards?
That’s close enough in my opinion. You could always plant a couple more trees next year. One or two years isnt going to matter that much.

That’s close enough in my opinion. You could always plant a couple more trees next year. One or two years isnt going to matter that much.
Grahams gift is sold out too, every single tree that is a known good pollinator is sold out. I can’t wait for Ryan to answer the email. Will any late bearing tree work???

Grahams gift is sold out too, every single tree that is a known good pollinator is sold out. I can’t wait for Ryan to answer the email. Will any late bearing tree work???
It doesn’t have anything to do with when they bear - it has to do with when they flower. And any apple or crabapple flowering at around the same time will pollinate it - unless it is a pollen sterile apple like Ark Black or Stayman Winesap.

Will Blue Hill allow you to add to your order later? I have a buddy who’s interested.

Back