Best time to cut

dtabor

As we head into winter, I was wondering if there is a time that is better than another to do some cutting to get the most stump sprout regeneration on things like maple etc?

Years ago before I got into habitat things, we had some maples cleared at our old house and I remember them sprouting like crazy. I dont remember the time of year but there was no snow so most likely mid-late summer. This past summer I cut some maples around my plot edges and they barely sprouted.

I hope to start doing some cutting on our place early next week. I am going to cut for some firewood to sell and some white oak to mill into lumber for corrals.

I think the best time to cut is outside of hunting season. Our time can be so limited, it’s basically whenever I can get the time and energy to do the project is a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As we head into winter, I was wondering if there is a time that is better than another to do some cutting to get the most stump sprout regeneration on things like maple etc?

Years ago before I got into habitat things, we had some maples cleared at our old house and I remember them sprouting like crazy. I dont remember the time of year but there was no snow so most likely mid-late summer. This past summer I cut some maples around my plot edges and they barely sprouted.

That’s a great question. Deer hammer our stump sprouts but I’ve never noticed what month seemed to produce the best growth. I may try to cut trees every few months this year and record the results. You should do the same!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back