Best place to buy grafting rootstock?

CAS_HNTR

Looking to get a 12-24 rootstock for a bench grafting effort this coming spring......anyone have a good recommendation on a place to purchase. Looking for M111 or B118 apple and OHxF87 pear.

Hope this isnt to out of line for the forum policy, mods feel free to remove it if it is. If someone wants a small number of root stock shoot me a PM I will sell them to you cheaper than you will be able to find them. Been down that road myself before. Problem is most places require 50 or 100 as a minimum purchase and they dont break bundles, or if they sell them by the piece they jack the price way up. With the amount I order anymore I usually have a few left over and if I know that enough people want a certain number I can certainly order more. I shipped to a few with guy's orders last year when I shipped their trees.

If you are wanting bigger quantities you can buy from Willamette, Copen Haven Farms, Treco, Lawyers Nursery, etcc...

Thanks Chris......you send me some last year. Should've got a few more! Hah!

I sent you an email about tree orders....check it out.

TC, what root stocks do you use or order?
Apple: M7, M111, B118 Hoping to try some G935 this coming year. Pear: OHxF87 and OHxF97. Cherry: Mahleb and some Giesla this year if I can get my hands on some. Most of the Geneva and Giesla root stocks are almost impossible to get if you dont order a year or two ahead of when you want them. Plums and Apricots on Myrobalan and native plum.

Turkey Creek,

Those two root stocks for pears that you mentioned - what are the properties of each. Is it size difference or what?

I would be interested in doing some pears. Even I can't seem to kill pears. :D

OHxF is Old Home x Farmingdale cross. Fire blight resistant, cold hardy, adaptable to most soils. There are a few different selections in the series 333 is the most dwarfing, I think there is "500" , then 87 is equivalent to a smaller semi dwarf, and 97 is the most standard variety.

Ive ordered from Cummins and the quality was good. Century Farm Orchard also sells rootstock, but order early. Turkey Creek's offer sounds pretty sweet though. :)

OHxF is Old Home x Farmingdale cross. Fire blight resistant, cold hardy, adaptable to most soils. There are a few different selections in the series 333 is the most dwarfing, I think there is "500" , then 87 is equivalent to a smaller semi dwarf, and 97 is the most standard variety.
Turkey Creek,

I have no bears. I am interested in avoiding disease. What would you recommend I get? I need your expertise & guidance.

I am a pear guy. Please give me advice based on your knowledge. Thanks

Turkey Creek,

I have no bears. I am interested in avoiding disease. What would you recommend I get? I need your expertise & guidance.

I am a pear guy. Please give me advice based on your knowledge. Thanks
I would go with x87 as it is more precocious. Varieties wise I would go with what you have seen that does well locally. I will admit I am not all that familiar with your growing area. I would guess fire blight is a real concern for you. I would think that Kieffer, Ayers and Moonglow would be some good options to start with. I would bet that if you do a search that your in state universities or extension service probably have a on-line list of varieties that are best suited for your area.

I would go with x87 as it is more precocious. Varieties wise I would go with what you have seen that does well locally. I will admit I am not all that familiar with your growing area. I would guess fire blight is a real concern for you. I would think that Kieffer, Ayers and Moonglow would be some good options to start with. I would bet that if you do a search that your in state universities or extension service probably have a on-line list of varieties that are best suited for your area.

Thanks Chris. I appreciate your assistances. Would it be possible for me to get 12 to 15 of the x87 rootstock from you?

Please advise.

I should have mentioned earlier that I dont get my root stock shipment in until mid April, so for you guys that are in a warmer zone that may be later than you want to receive it. It is fully dormant when I receive it and would be in that state when it gets to you as well.

Shoo mid April is late. You think it would hurt to graft them that late in say the very top of zone 7a moving into zone 7b?

I should have mentioned earlier that I dont get my root stock shipment in until mid April, so for you guys that are in a warmer zone that may be later than you want to receive it. It is fully dormant when I receive it and would be in that state when it gets to you as well.
I had you in mind TC, but I usually get mine in mid March here. That gives me time to let them heal up a week or two before I set them out in my garden to grow for the year.

Shoo mid April is late. You think it would hurt to graft them that late in say the very top of zone 7a moving into zone 7b?
I guess every situation is different. If you are hitting high temps 80s or above every day maybe too late. I can only speak from personal experience all of my bench grafted trees primarily apples and pears are callused indoors in a 50-60 degree room before moving out to the nursery. Last frost here is typically the first week in May so no reason for me to chance getting them set back by a hard frost. I had a limited number of root stock left from last spring, that I could ship to folks earlier, but they are spoken for now. At some point in the future I will likely try and produce my own root stock, but for now I just order in to fit my grafting schedule.

I'm actually wanting some rootstock to start a little nursery for me. I was thinking of just planting the root stock and then top grafting when they are ready. Plan on moving to my place in about 6 years, which should be plenty of time for M111 to be producing.

Turkey Creek,

When would it be possible / wise to graft a scion to that root stock? Bear with me I have zero experience with this process.

Thanks

Back