Best herbicide around pond

Worm

Im tired of weedeating around my pond. Ive googled some of the supposedly safe herbicides to use but I get very nervous about pond health.
Do any of you guys have real life experience or recommendations ? Im also getting quite a bit of lily pads etc. on the pond.
Thanks

I sprayed gly around the edges of my pond when no rain was likely for a week or two with no ill effects. I waited until the water level dropped a little this summer so no overspray hit the pond surface and I used a wand of course.

Gly works well for me for creeping yellow primrose and american lotus

Add surfactant or both above species will laugh at you.......

........dont ask me how i know........

bill

Gly works well for me for creeping yellow primrose and american lotus

Add surfactant or both above species will laugh at you.......

........dont ask me how i know........

bill
It's the surfactant that is the main culprit when spraying around water.
Clearcast, aka Raptor, aka Beyond has no surfactant and is safe around water, but double, double check on that...don't take my word for it.

I spray my ponds banks and water plants with GLY...works great!

Not sure I would admit that on a public forum.
It's illegal to use chemicals in a manner not prescribed by the label.
Doesn't the gly label say to not use it around water?

If I remember right, Rodeo, is an aquatic approved gly herbacide. Not sure what exactly is different in the formulation, but i am guessing it's a good bet for what you want. Might want to look up the label to see what it can do.

If I remember right, Rodeo, is an aquatic approved gly herbacide. Not sure what exactly is different in the formulation, but i am guessing it's a good bet for what you want. Might want to look up the label to see what it can do.
I will bet its gly without surfactant. Just a guess.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Roundup makes an aquatic herbicide and it works great on lillypads. Sprayed some on some very large pads (basketball sized) and it killed everyone of them. Jug is at the other farm or I would tell you the exact name but I can get it for you tomorrow if you would like it.

Not sure I would admit that on a public forum.
It's illegal to use chemicals in a manner not prescribed by the label.
Doesn't the gly label say to not use it around water?
Not sure on the label deal. I know it is GLY with no surfactant and I know there is a GLY variant sold for ponds which in my mind is just another way to charge you for the exact same thing again...Mine are small waterholes with no fish but I do have lots of frogs...

Not sure on the label deal. I know it is GLY with no surfactant and I know there is a GLY variant sold for ponds which in my mind is just another way to charge you for the exact same thing again...Mine are small waterholes with no fish but I do have lots of frogs...
Yeah, its gly without pre added surfactant.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks guys ! appreciate the comments and advice . I currently use a generic 41 gly on my foodplots. I always add surfactant .
Sounds like the surfactant is the culprit or at least part of the problem. Maybe, I need to get some goats .
Whatever I do, I will be very careful

Last edited:
Back