Bassett hounds?

Kabic

We got this little mongrel. Supposedly half Bassett half Labordoddle.

Bassett Hounds are closely related to Blood hounds right?

Liver drag the easiest way too see if she has any potential to track?

Kabic

Get on YouTube and search for Jeremy Moore - DogBone - he has some training techniques that will help you.

Good looking dog - I like it coloring.

Wayne

Looks like a mix with real promise. I have trained many "mutts" into very good tracking dogs. I like anything with Bassett hound in it. Starting with a liver drag or deer hoof drag is a great way to assess interest. Keep the drag short and less than 30 minutes old to start. Keep some raw red meat or little pieces of hot dog at the end. Give the dog all the time it needs, but let it works its way to the end. If it has no interest, help it to keep working to the reward if possible. After a few of these tracks your dog should show some interest. If not, I would give it a few weeks and do it again. All of my dogs have shown interest within the first track or two, especially after they figure out there is a treat at the end. I like to introduce a leg drag pretty early, and use it as a toy at the end to excite the dog's prey drive. See my blog at highcaliberbloodtracking.com for some more tips.

Play with her a little bit with the liver/leg and give her some little bits of it to eat first......make her see how much she likes it.....THEN do a short drag of 10-20 yards and see if she'll follow it.

I owned Basset Hounds, and they were fantastic hunters for rabbit, coon and pheasants. Follow Doctorbrady's advice and I'll bet your dog will track deer.

Brother-in-law got a doe Sunday bow hunting. I now have 4 deer legs to lay a track down with. Sunday evening I took one of them and laid down a track in the back yard. I got her nose to the ground and after a little coaxing got her to follow the track. After she chewed on the leg for a bit, had one of the kids take her out of sight and did a second track.

When she came back she bee lined right to where the leg was the first time. After she settled down a little, got her on the second track which she followed. Both were really short tracks, but she seems to have some drive in putting that nose to use.

Wife wasn't too happy when she asked me what I did with the deer legs and I told her I put them in our chest freezer.

Brother-in-law got a doe Sunday bow hunting. I now have 4 deer legs to lay a track down with. Sunday evening I took one of them and laid down a track in the back yard. I got her nose to the ground and after a little coaxing got her to follow the track. After she chewed on the leg for a bit, had one of the kids take her out of sight and did a second track.

When she came back she bee lined right to where the leg was the first time. After she settled down a little, got her on the second track which she followed. Both were really short tracks, but she seems to have some drive in putting that nose to use.

Wife wasn't too happy when she asked me what I did with the deer legs and I told her I put them in our chest freezer.
My wife feels the same way about cut shad bait.

Yup, they’re definitely great hunters. My cousin also owns a Basset and he had to train him for a bit with one of those dog training collars, after that, it’s all smooth sailing. They really have an edge for hunting rabbits and pheasants.

Back