Basal Spray for Autumn Olive

I can definitely vouch for the Solo backpack sprayer. I’ve only had mine three years but it’s been well used. Mainly spot spraying, but I used it on plots this year as well with.

Can’t help with the herbicide recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used triclopyr mixed with glyphosate (I hate ao as much as Biden) so I try to really knock them dead. The issue that I found when spraying them is if you don’t soak all of these leaves I didn’t completely kill the tree. I know you said basal and I’m speaking of foliar but I sprayed from the ground up. The problem was a lot of my ao is massive and hard to reach the tops. Was really frustrating to see 3/4 of the tree stone dead and a couple little clumps no worse for the wear

Triclopyr 4 mixed with diesel is my best mix for basal spraying. I don't have AO but I have Honey Locust and Osage Orange, it works great on them. You have to spray all the way around the trunk. Any sections not treated will leave the roots and leafs directly below/above that untreated part alive. It's similar to hinge cutting in that manner. If you don't want to order it you can often find triclopyr at farm stores under a generic name. It's also common to get it at a discount through the county extension office because you are fighting an invasive.

I've used keystone's triclopyr 4. It works well. I've mixed with diesel for hack and squirt, and mixed in a 15 gallon ATV sprayer for multiflora and honeysuckle spot spraying. rural king sells "crossroad" the generic "crossbow", which I believe is triclopyr and 24d.

I ordered from your first link on Saturday and have yet to see my two day delivery. Did they send you a shipping confirmation and tracking number?

G

I ordered from chemical warehouse since they had free shipping. Only shipped from down by the lake, couple of hours away.

picked up a backpack sprayer and a new fuel jug today. In a couple of weeks I am going to give it a go.

Please report back your experience. I’ve been cutting with a chainsaw and stump spraying with roundup, which is very effective, but it’s also very labor intensive. As someone else above mentioned, foliar spraying has been underwhelming as part of the plant tends to hang around, so I feel like I’m stunting the stuff as opposed to truly killing it.

My experience with foliar spray has been the same, kill some pi$$ some off. Tried it with RU, crossbow, 2-4D, and Pasture guard. The little ones seem to die pretty easy but once they get a year or two of age on them...........

Does cut and spray work for AO if done this time of year? I know its best mid-late summer but that is terrible time for such work for me. And I've got a sucker friend that wants to go run the chainsaw at the farm at moment. I can sit on truck and watch him work.. Trees are typically 6-10 ft. What say ye experts?

Does cut and spray work for AO if done this time of year? I know its best mid-late summer but that is terrible time for such work for me. And I've got a sucker friend that wants to go run the chainsaw at the farm at moment. I can sit on truck and watch him work.. Trees are typically 6-10 ft. What say ye experts?
Winter basal spraying works fine for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Began hitting the AO yesterday before next snowstorm last night. Global warming is killing us this year.
I’d rather cut 20 standing timber than these things. Bushy, hard to get to , and a PIA. I’ve got about half ac thicket to rid. At least MFR deer will browse some.

309309923f55ea8f5fd0a53bd5411a30.jpg

Wonder what my odds are on this big sucker. No AO here but found more honey locust than I thought I had. This one was probably 36" diameter and surrounded by all of its younger offspring. Girdled it and sprayed a bunch of Triclopyr in the cut and below it. Hoping it goes quietly.

Back