AR Bullet selection help..

dogdoc

oLgCF7u.jpg

Purchased this gun several years ago and finally getting it set up for coyote hunting. S&W MODEL M&P-15 with 16" barrel and a 1/9 twist with a Redfield 4 x 12 scope. I have it sighted in on paper with just some cheap .223 fmj loads that came with the gun. It came with about 2000 loads of ammo. I know every gun can be a little different with loads but hoping someone might have a "like" gun that has already found a very accurate factory load for yotes without me going and buying several different brands of factory ammo.

Thanks
Todd

With that twist, I would go with a 55 grain bullet but no lighter. You can stabilize bullets in the 70 grain range, but I don't like shooting heavy bullets in 22 calibers, especially for your purposes. I would try a premium load with an explosive 55 grain bullet in that gun for coyote hunting. Something like Hornady Varmint Express with a V-Max bullet would be a good load to try first.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...nition-223-remington-55-grain-v-max-box-of-20

With that twist, I would go with a 55 grain bullet but no lighter. You can stabilize bullets in the 70 grain range, but I don't like shooting heavy bullets in 22 calibers, especially for your purposes. I would try a premium load with an explosive 55 grain bullet in that gun for coyote hunting. Something like Hornady Varmint Express with a V-Max bullet would be a good load to try first.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...nition-223-remington-55-grain-v-max-box-of-20
Thank you. I know nothing about AR's, just kind of bought the gun on a whim and just decided to turn in into a varmint gun. I'll give those bullets a try.

The 1/9 twist will handle light bullets very well and have accuracy trouble with the heavier ones. What kind of trouble? It may shoot 2.5" groups with a 70gr bullet and 3/4" groups with a 64gr. The gun will give you the answer. I agree with Native, try something in the 50-55gr weight and it should do everything you want. I have a 1/7 twist and it will shoot a 1" group with 55gr fmj, but tightens up the heavier I go. I have been shooting the Hornady 55gr Superformance V-Max out of mine and getting a 1-1 1/4" group at 100yds. The 62gr Fusion I shoot for deer will give 3/4 at 100yds. I wanted a 1/8 when I started building my AR so I could have the "best" attributes of all the twist rates, but Sandy Hook happened and I jumped on the first barrel I could get and I have been happy so far. Nosler makes pretty good varmint ammo, but it can be expensive.

I shoot mostly 55 grains threw mine. Even with the cheap FMJ stuff it is typically less than an inch. Also a 1/9. The heaviest I have shot were some 62 grain bullets for doe season. You can't beat an AR for an all around predator gun.

Mine have always shot cheap federal 50g hollowpoints into ,1". Adequate on song dogs at closer range. I don't hunt for hides, but to knock down the numbers. If I did, I'd focus on light super explosive bullets like the TNT. I've had mixed results on ballistic tips exiting. My ARs have all had 1/9 twists. Interestingly, some would shoot.70+g bullets well, some would shoot OK, some were just nuts accurate )one shoots 77g OTM into<1/2".

Check out Nevada Ammunition. I just bought 1000rds for 300.00 to my door. I see no grouping issues whatsoever with these loads. I'm more concerned with the 200 and under shots however.

Gun is all sighted in. Didn't realize how much fun they are to shoot and how fast you can blow through ammo. What an accurate gun. All I had were 55gr FMJ bullets but these cheap round really hold a tight pattern. Almost all my shots will be less than 150 so I zeroed at that distance. I ended up getting a box of Hornady 55gr spire points to hunt the yotes with. They were about 1/2 the price of the varmint loads and after reading a few predator forums a lot of guys hunt with the spire points. I haven't grouped them yet but I'm sure they will shot very close to the Fiocchi 55 FMJ that i have been shooting. Just didn't want to hunt with the FMJ.

Gun is all sighted in. Didn't realize how much fun they are to shoot and how fast you can blow through ammo. What an accurate gun. All I had were 55gr FMJ bullets but these cheap round really hold a tight pattern. Almost all my shots will be less than 150 so I zeroed at that distance. I ended up getting a box of Hornady 55gr spire points to hunt the yotes with. They were about 1/2 the price of the varmint loads and after reading a few predator forums a lot of guys hunt with the spire points. I haven't grouped them yet but I'm sure they will shot very close to the Fiocchi 55 FMJ that i have been shooting. Just didn't want to hunt with the FMJ.
The Hornady 55 spire point is the same round Eli shoots for deer. Very accurate...

Back