Very Accurate AR-15

Native Hunter

I recently wanted to add another AR-15 to my collection and decided to go with a Springfield Saint Victor. It has a 16 inch barrel and comes with flip up iron sights. After I got those zeroed, I mounted a cheap Weaver 3X9 scope on it and started testing some factory ammo. I tried some different varmint loads , because I want to use this gun on coyotes, groundhogs and crows. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy.

Results below are at 100 yds off of a good rest. This is giving probably less than 15 seconds between shots - just enough time for me to get back on target. Also I want to mention that I am not culling any shots or calling any flyers. These groups include all shots fired.

Barnes Centerfire 223, 55 Grain JHP - Average of three 3-shot groups = .666 inches (.400, .768, .830 inches)
Hornady Varmint Express 223, 55 grain V-max - Average of three 3-shot groups = .716 inches (.962, .750, .436 inches)
Federal Varmint and Predator 223, 50 grain JHP - Average of Four 3-shot groups = .728 inches (.516, 1.290, .415, .690 inches)

Shown Below is a picture of the gun and the three targets shot with the Barnes ammo. For right now, that is what I'm going to shoot in it.

IMG_3823.jpeg

IMG_3826.jpeg
IMG_3825.jpeg
IMG_3824.jpeg

Your post just warms my heart. I cobbed a 2x7 Nikon off a shotgun with a Leupold base. My first groups with ammo Inc ammo were more like 3 inches at 100 yards. I splurged on a TriggerTech adjustable trigger, which I really like. I need more ammo and shooting time. My groups at 200 yards are the same 3 Inches. Some folks were telling me that I should have bought a Daniels, really, I can stand there a ring a 4" metal target at 100, freehand all day long (some exaggeration). I haven't had a single hiccup with mine. I think, perhaps, I'll try a box of Barnes.

DSC05934 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

Last edited:
Your post just warms my heart. I cobbed a 2x7 Nikon off a shotgun with a Leupold base. My first groups with ammo Inc ammo were more like 3 inches at 100 yards. I splurged on a TriggerTech adjustable trigger, which I really like. I need more ammo and shooting time. My groups at 200 yards are the same 3 Inches. Some folks were telling me that I should have bought a Daniels, really, I can stand there a ring a 4" metal target at 100, freehand all day long (some exaggeration). I haven't had a single hiccup with mine. I think, perhaps, I'll try a box of Barnes.

View attachment 27304

G

LOL George, that is awesome that we bought the same gun. The three Ammo choices that I show in my post above are little more expensive than just run of the mill FMJ ammo. They all have a varmint type bullet, and a little more care is probably used in loading them. That is likely why my groups with them are so tight.

I did shoot just a few shots with regular cheap FMJ ammo as well. Federal 55 grain FMJ was the best and gave me groups just slightly larger than the varmint ammo. The worst ammo was PMC FMJ which went just a tad over 2.5 inches at 100 yards.

PS - If you can't buy the Barnes Centerfire ammo locally, Midway USA has it, and they have the Hornady Varmint Express, which also shot great in my gun. In fact, I can't really say for sure which of those 3 ammo choices are the best, because I was dealing with some wind when I shot. It was not perfect conditions, and my 68 year old eyes with only a 9 power scope does not make for the perfect man behind the gun. :)

LOL George, that is awesome that we bought the same gun. The three Ammo choices that I show in my post above are little more expensive than just run of the mill FMJ ammo. They all have a varmint type bullet, and a little more care is probably used in loading them. That is likely why my groups with them are so tight.

I did shoot just a few shots with regular cheap FMJ ammo as well. Federal 55 grain FMJ was the best and gave me groups just slightly larger than the varmint ammo. The worst ammo was PMC FMJ which went just a tad over 2.5 inches at 100 yards.

PS - If you can't buy the Barnes Centerfire ammo locally, Midway USA has it, and they have the Hornady Varmint Express, which also shot great in my gun. In fact, I can't really say for sure which of those 3 ammo choices are the best, because I was dealing with some wind when I shot. It was not perfect conditions, and my 68 year old eyes with only a 9 power scope does not make for the perfect man behind the gun. :)

No, you are the perfect man behind any gun.

Are you considering a better trigger?

Did you get one of these yet?

DSC07796 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

No, you are the perfect man behind any gun.

Are you considering a better trigger?

Did you get one of these yet?

View attachment 27311

G

George, there is no doubt a better trigger would be great. My trigger doesn't have any creep, but it is definitely too hard to pull - I would say at least 7 pounds. I recently put a 3 pound Timney trigger in another gun and love it. I may do the same someday with the Springfield.

I didn't buy an MP, but I got in on that deal with Springfield where you get a bunch of free stuff for buying the Saint Victor. They have already sent me the free $200 worth of clothing, and I am waiting for the free sling, free Vortex Red Dot Scope, and extra 30 round P-mag. I don't need the red dot, but I will just save it and have it for a spare.

The deal has already expired now for new purchases, but here it is in case you didn't see it: https://www.springfield-armory.com/gear-up-2023-saint-hellion/

That's good to hear how well they shoot. I was going to get one of their 300 BLK Saint Victor models, but they switched to 308. I wanted something that I could shoot suppressed with subsonic ammo, in that price range.

I decided to try some 60 grain bullets in it. This is 5 shots at 100 yds with Black Hills ammo. The first 4 were barely over 1/2 inch. The chronograph showed that the average velocity from the 16 inch barrel was 2,822 fps.

IMG_3832.jpeg

I decided this gun needed a 4x12 scope so today I put one on it. After sighting in with the cheap stuff I shot a group with the Barnes 55 grain. I’m going to just keep shooting the hard factory trigger for right now. It doesn’t seem to be bothering me much.
IMG_3835.jpeg

Back