Apple Trees For Southern Ground

lakngolf

Lot of talk about apple trees more trouble to maintain than pears, but I want to give some a try. I have pears, fig trees, pecans, blackberries, etc growing at the farm and think I need to add some apples to the mix.

What would be my best options for hot, humid southern ground? Soil is all sandy loam but very rich. I love Honeycrisp llike Maya's beautiful pictures but not sure they will make it down my way.

Lankgulf I'd talk to the wildlife group, they are on the lower half of Alabama and what works for them should work for you.

call your country aug. dept. tell them what your looking for and ask for names of apple trees that will work and dont forget drop time of the apples if thats important to you

Lot of talk about apple trees more trouble to maintain than pears, but I want to give some a try. I have pears, fig trees, pecans, blackberries, etc growing at the farm and think I need to add some apples to the mix.

What would be my best options for hot, humid southern ground? Soil is all sandy loam but very rich. I love Honeycrisp llike Maya's beautiful pictures but not sure they will make it down my way.

My farm is in southwest MS and I've planted Arkansas Black, Carter's Blue, Brogden, and Yates. They are only a couple of years old so no fruit yet. They are from The Wildlife Group in AL and are proven southern apples. Contact them, they have lots of cultivars to choose from

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Arkansas Black, Yates, and Horse. I got all three. Crabs are good too. Some I got from the Wildlife Group, some I grafted. I did the grafts to get full sized trees. The ones from TWG are semi-dwarf.

Arkansas Black, Yates, and Horse. I got all three. Crabs are good too. Some I got from the Wildlife Group, some I grafted. I did the grafts to get full sized trees. The ones from TWG are semi-dwarf.

If you don't have heavy clay soils the WG offers b118 now which yields a 90% standard tree.

I recommend that you call David at Century Farm Orchard. Tell David your soil and your needs, and he will recommend apple varieties for your needs. I have ordered apples and pears from Century Farm Orchard for eight years because Century Farm Orchard specializes in Southern varieties. However, apples require adequate soil moisture, making pears a better choice for my location.

http://www.centuryfarmorchards.com/

My farm is in southwest MS and I've planted Arkansas Black, Carter's Blue, Brogden, and Yates. They are only a couple of years old so no fruit yet. They are from The Wildlife Group in AL and are proven southern apples. Contact them, they have lots of cultivars to choose from

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
bottomland where at in sw ms

Black Limbertwig is one that you need.

You got any Limbertwig scions. My great aunt used to have three of those trees when I was a kid. She's been dead about 20 years and I rode by her old place last week to see if the trees were still there. Somebody cut them down and built a house there.

You got any Limbertwig scions. My great aunt used to have three of those trees when I was a kid. She's been dead about 20 years and I rode by her old place last week to see if the trees were still there. Somebody cut them down and built a house there.

LLC, I won't have this year but maybe next year. My big tree was one that we moved with the backhoe due to the new road, and it is alive and well, but put out zero new growth after being moved. The only others I have are just whips. I got my tree from Big Horse, so I'm sure you could get some scion wood from them.

Back