anyone use Evercalm ?

I'm not a huge deer scent fan either, I'd rather be invisible, but it truly amazes me the night and day reactions people are having with Evercalm. Would anyone care to speculate as to why it works so well for some an not others ?
Quality control ?, difference in deer behavior regionally or from property to property ?
It's hard to ignore the possibility that it does work when a credible source (Doc Brady) has a 3 year old trailing him and licking his tree steps.

I am guessing the folks that it absolutely does not work for probably do not have a very good scent control system put in place ie, shower in no scent soaps, spray down with scent killer sprays, have clothing washed and kept in scent free containers including boots, run ozonics, only hunt with perfect winds, etc. I know that people can just walk in the woods straight from work no scent control and kill a deer. More than likely that person is not killing big mature bucks consistently. The more educated your deer herd is to human interaction the less likely it is to kill a mature buck without taking every precaution you can take IMO

In my experience deer scents are very hit and miss. Training tracking dogs using actual deer hooves has really opened my eyes as to how animals can detect even very faint scents left on the ground and in the air. However, it is difficult to put the "whole picture" of a deer's scent into any product. By nature they are going to be less effective than the scent of a real deer because they are just a small piece of the whole scent puzzle. Obviously, contamination with human scent also lessens the effectiveness. I have had deer walk right past scent lines time and time again, only to have another deer react. The concept behind the Evercalm product (previously deer herd In a bottle, I believe) is that it incorporates multiple deer related scents into a single scent. Deer that are passing nearby may become curious by the mixture of the deer scent, and if not alerted will tend to sort it out if they are not set on another goal. During the rut, bucks are trying to use every advantage to locate receptive does, and may follow the scent for that reason, as my previous story indicated. All in all, deer are individuals and may respond differently. Just like some people can drive by the "hot" light at Krispy Kreme while others (like me) cannot :). Some scents seem to alert deer, but I have never experienced that with Evercalm so it remains in my bag of tricks. Most times it doesn't work in any way that I can tell, but occasionally it makes a noticeable difference. Similar to my experience with deer calls. I have used dozens of doe in heat and dominate buck scents without ever seeing a really positive result (except in scrapes). The only other commercial scent that I have ever had much luck with is the original Tinks tarsal gland scent with the whole gland. I have had positive results with fresh doe secretions and also with fresh tarsal glands. I intend to try using the hoof shoes that I use to train my dogs to see if the deer follow the interdigital scent or not. The only problem is that the hooves dry out quickly if not kept in the freezer.

Doc hit the nail on the head with what I have been hearing from guys that believe in Evercalm. It is not so much of an attractant as it is exactly what it's name suggests it calms the deer. My understanding is that it can help a hunter out with an old buck that is ultra alert. This stuff seems to have a calming effect and the deer that would typically blow out of the area will actually settle down and continue on their natural path with some moving in closer to check out the scent.

Doc hit the nail on the head with what I have been hearing from guys that believe in Evercalm. It is not so much of an attractant as it is exactly what it's name suggests it calms the deer. My understanding is that it can help a hunter out with an old buck that is ultra alert. This stuff seems to have a calming effect and the deer that would typically blow out of the area will actually settle down and continue on their natural path with some moving in closer to check out the scent.
10-4; Not attractant; a soothing relaxer agent

Used it last yr. Didn't see anything to convince me it works or doesn't. How did my father shoot deer in Woolrich's with a cigarette in his mouth lol

It sounds like your father and I enjoyed some of the same years. By the way the Woolrich was often wet and it did have an odor. Deer were very much relaxed then in the areas we hunted. Hunters per mile were less than three and woods were big;GPS didn't exist so many deer in the deep woods had not experienced humans as predators. The few confident compass users hunted undisturbed, relaxed deer. Coyotes were few if any, loose dogs that chased deer were stopped and as BTAYLOR said we hunted the wind always. Stands and sitting was a curiosity so seeing deer downwind about never happened.

We actually had many campfire discussions (campfire was one of the odors the Woolrich gave off especially when wet) on whether cigarette smoke bothered the deer or not;the theory that generally won was that it did not but it was the hand waving while smoking that gave us away.
Anyhow-never used Evercalm but the concept makes a lot of sense the way we hunt today. I'd guess an alert buck might not buy it but one wanting to would. And thus the difference in the it works and it doesn't groups.

I use Evercalm and had great luck with it. Deer walk up and across my walk in trail and show no evidence of being scared.
But I'm a 100% bee smoker for scent control using Evercalm. Deer walk in my down wind and throw their heads up and smell the go about their business unconcerned. Is it the smoked smell or the Evercalm smell, or is it both? No intention of testing to find out which one as I will continue to use both together. I happens too numerous of times to count, deer just don't seem to blow out when down wind.
In 2012 I'm setting 20 yds off a main trail through my woods. Deer are walking past me downwind. A nice 8 pt buck is coming downwind and stops at 30 yds behind tree limbs, throws his head up and smells. Walks forward 10 yds and still behind tree limbs for a shot, throws his head up and smells again. Starts walking and leaves the trail straight towards my ladder stand,I bow shot it at 12 yds.
I'm well smoked up with hickory smoke and my Evercalm walk in drag pad is hanging on my ladder steps.
I sold on both smell odors.

I think my brother in law smokes it , he he calm all the time almost like a comma..... wait.... are we talking about the same thing

Back