anyone use Evercalm ?

Jeff H

Has anyone had any experience with Evercalm ? I tried it last year and had neither positive or negative results. I've read some pretty amazing accounts on the internet but hey.. it's the internet. I'm curious to hear of first hand accounts good, bad or indifferent.

Jeff

Yea I used it a few years ago and it didn't do anything at all, wasn't impressed

I have used it on decoy to potentially help mask any human scent that might have transferred from my carrying out to the field. Over the years, i have pretty much stopped trying to use any scents like Doe in Heat, or Dominant Buck urine etc.... Call me crazy...but while I have seen it work on many deer in many situations....what I have also seen, (and this is why I choose NOT to use anything more often than not) is that when a wise old, mature buck comes across anything that does not "add-up" he will turn tail and walk/run away. This has been the case for me on more than one occasion while using some of the "guaranteed freshest" "one deer - one bottle" products out there. I am not condemning the usage of it...I am not saying to others not to use it at all...I am simply saying that for me personally...after over 30 years of experience...I prefer not to use anything that comes out of a bottle. That being said...when I shoot a doe I will harvest her bladder and use her urine....and if I shoot a buck I will harvest his Tarsal glands...and use both, because they are native to my area and fresh.
As for the Evercalm solid....I use it on the decoy where I touch it with my gloved hands...just in case...and bucks smell it. While they seem to sense the scent...they dont snort and run...so I am assuming that it doesnt bother them.
Cheers,
Brigg

Brigg, If in your experience you know that they can smell it, yet they don't run or are alarmed, would that not be a positive response ? Is it possible that they smelled your decoy before they saw it ?

Jeff

I know of guys that use it and swear by it. As long as taking all precautions to keep yourself and clothing clean they say the stuff works. I have been told by guys that are sponsored by Conquest that it is one product they would be using whether sponsored by them or not. Which in that world means a lot as most guys if not sponsored would move on to the next best thing that helped pay the bills. I personally can not speak for the product as I have only used a few times but my son stole my stick last year and says the deer seemed more calm when downwind of him. The way I see it is at the very least it is not hurting your hunting situation and could help it why not use it if there is a chance to gain an advantage?

I have used it 3 maybe 4 years now. I wont say it is the greatest thing ever invented, but I do believe it works to some extent. Enough that I keep buying a stick and using it every year. I wipe it on the toe of my boots before I walk to my stand, I leave the cap off the stick while in the stand plus I have a couple of dispensers made for the sticks. I have also wiped it on my doe decoy. Since using it I have never had a deer blow and run when they have gotten down wind of me, not to say that on occasion they dont turn and walk away giving me the feeling that they sense something isnt quite right. I wouldnt say they are attracted to the scent, but from my experience it seems to drop the negative reactions to very low response by the deer. I do keep my hunting clothes in a separate tote once washed, and spray down with scent killer before leaving the vehichle but otherwise I dont go to extremes with scent control.

While I do Not swear by it, I do think it Helps & Do use it.
Btw, I absolutely DO swear by my Ozonic machine; I don't leave camp without it.
I hunt mainly with Crossbow.

Jeff H - I guess that seeing a buck sniff the decoy which I know has Evercalm on it, yet not run away alarmed could be interpreted as a positive response. I tend to believe at the very least its not a negative response, which is what I am trying to avoid by not using any other bottled deer scents. Using a decoy is such a dynamic thing...there are so many factors at play all at one time. The visual assessment is obviously the first and biggest draw, ( I believe)...so anything after that takes a back seat to that initial draw. Also...if Im lucky enough to pull in that mature buck, hopefully he is going to present me with a shot and he wont get a chance to smell or detect anything awry with the setup. Now...with the younger bucks that come in, that I am not going to shoot, they are the ones that tell the tale...but then again they are also less inclined to bust and run due to something "just not being right". So who knows? It really is anybodies guess. It really boils down to what you, as the hunter, are comfortable with...e.g. what gives you confidence in the stand. I am a firm believer that confidence is the platform upon which success is built upon. Once you allow yourself to doubt what it is that you are doing...and begin to second guess your shot selection, or whatever...then you are bound to make mistakes...and then ultimately endure failures.
Confidence is key to success.
Cheers,
Brigg

Jeff H - I guess that seeing a buck sniff the decoy which I know has Evercalm on it, yet not run away alarmed could be interpreted as a positive response. I tend to believe at the very least its not a negative response, which is what I am trying to avoid by not using any other bottled deer scents. Using a decoy is such a dynamic thing...there are so many factors at play all at one time. The visual assessment is obviously the first and biggest draw, ( I believe)...so anything after that takes a back seat to that initial draw. Also...if Im lucky enough to pull in that mature buck, hopefully he is going to present me with a shot and he wont get a chance to smell or detect anything awry with the setup. Now...with the younger bucks that come in, that I am not going to shoot, they are the ones that tell the tale...but then again they are also less inclined to bust and run due to something "just not being right". So who knows? It really is anybodies guess. It really boils down to what you, as the hunter, are comfortable with...e.g. what gives you confidence in the stand. I am a firm believer that confidence is the platform upon which success is built upon. Once you allow yourself to doubt what it is that you are doing...and begin to second guess your shot selection, or whatever...then you are bound to make mistakes...and then ultimately endure failures.
Confidence is key to success.
Cheers,
Brigg

I agree with you in that we're really not ever going to know what the deer are thinking and totally agree with your comments on confidence...especially in bowhunting!
Truth is I want it to work. I'd love to own the magic bean. Maybe that's why I'm intrigued with the positive results on the internet. I think we can talk ourselves into believing many things that may or may not be true. I'm going to continue to use what I have left from last year and try my best to keep an open mind in determining how/ if it works for me and the deer on my place.
I guess it could also be true that it works better in some locations than others. Like turnips.

I always "felt" like it worked. I never got busted by a deer cutting my tracks last year... That I could see that is. It will be in the pack this year as well.

I always "felt" like it worked. I never got busted by a deer cutting my tracks last year... That I could see that is. It will be in the pack this year as well.
I guess I should also add that last year was also my first year religiously using ozone on everything that went in the woods with me...

Used it last yr. Didn't see anything to convince me it works or doesn't. How did my father shoot deer in Woolrich's with a cigarette in his mouth lol

V
Gator, Do you know why Virginia banned it ?[/QUOTE
It gave the hunter such an unfair advantage they were afraid that hunters would wipe out the deer herd using it.... nah just kidding. Preventive measure, banned all natural urine products. Line of reason being that the diseases were coming from farmed deer and any urine being used would be possibly coming from a contaminated source. Very basic summary off the top of my addled head.

It gave the hunter such an unfair advantage they were afraid that hunters would wipe out the deer herd using it.... nah just kidding. Preventive measure, banned all natural urine products. Line of reason being that the diseases were coming from farmed deer and any urine being used would be possibly coming from a contaminated source. Very basic summary off the top of my addled head.
Yep, what Brian said.

Not a bad scent...as far as deer scents go. I like to use it on the soles of my boots. Had a decent nine point follow it directly under my treestand last season and lick my tree steps. He was only 3, so he got a pass, but made for a great hunt.
I am not a huge deer scent fan, except when I can get some doe in heat secretions from a guy I know that raises deer and artificially inseminates them. Those secretions make deer act STUPID!

Back