Anyone have an off grid cabin?

Weasel

I built my cabin with the intention of keeping it off grid. My plan is to catch rain water in a cistern & use an on-demand 12 volt pump and in-line filter. Power will come from a bank of solar panels and batteries. I plan to start with a 250 watt panel and batteries to run the pump & a few lights and add 250 watt panels & batteries for an eventual 1000 watt system as budget permits. Just curious if anyone has a similar set up or other off- grid system and any input, tips or precautions with my plans. I've done a lot of research on the dangers & proper installation of a solar system and even consulted with a professional installer for help with my layout. FYI I've already built and used a composting toilet at my place for the last 2 years with great results.

A friend of mine has a place a place in Montana up in the mountains that is solar powered I will check with him how his is done.

I have an uncle who is off grid. He uses a cooler/ice for food and does everything else with solar and batteries. It's a cool set-up that is small enough to take inside the house when he's gone for a day or two so it doesn't get stolen. Runs his tv, lights, cell phone charger, etc...

Mine is off grid. I use a wood stove to heat, cook on propane and have a Harbor Freight solar panel set up to charge a battery for lights. Be sure to go with LED lights. For water I have a rain barrel that catches water from the roof. I also have a 55 gallon drum that I fill with another drum of water and 12v pump. I am planning on eventually getting a 12v RV pump and a on demand water heater for a shower and washing dishes but right now I am using a Zodi propane camp shower.

Ours is off-grid, although it is in an area where I could hook up to the grid fairly easily if I wanted. For our hunting camp, just prefer not to. We have a 30 x 50 well-insulated building and a deep well/submersible pump with a frost-free hydrant. I set the pump up with (4) underground bladder tanks. Once it's up to pressure, I get 40-50 gallons of water without having to turn the pump on. Keeps us from having to run the big generator all the time. Building is set up to run off either a 220VAC gen to power everything, or limited circuits on just a 120VAC Honda for quiet lighting. LED lighting throughout. Wood stove for heat. Cots for sleeping. Outdoor shower with LP on demand heater, and an outhouse. Planning to eventually have indoor plumbing and solar power. Roughing it for now.

Mine is off grid. I use a wood stove to heat, cook on propane and have a Harbor Freight solar panel set up to charge a battery for lights. Be sure to go with LED lights. For water I have a rain barrel that catches water from the roof. I also have a 55 gallon drum that I fill with another drum of water and 12v pump. I am planning on eventually getting a 12v RV pump and a on demand water heater for a shower and washing dishes but right now I am using a Zodi propane camp shower.

I have what sounds like a similar system. 12V LED's are a must. I started with 12V CFL's. The LED's are much brighter and use 1/3 the power.

Where I vary is that I have a 275 gallon tank in the attic that I use a generator driven pump to fill. Instead of rain water, I get my water from a neighbor's spigot. He has great well water. I retrieve 165 gallons at a time in three 55 gallon plastic drums that I Craigslisted. I load the empty drums in to my truckbed, then drive up to the pump hose and empty them right from the truck.

The RV pump that I use is this one:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/shurflo-revolution-rv-pump.htm
It works great and keeps water pressure (through PEX) to the fixtures at all times. I have a shower room faucet, shower, and kitchen sink. I can run two faucets at the same time.

For propane water heat in PA, I couldn't find an on demand system that would give me the temperature change I would need in fall. Instead, I used this:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heaters/atwood-hot-water-heater.htm
It runs super hot and recharges quickly. We have actually taken 8 showers back to back (navy showers - turn off when soaping up) and not ran out of hot water. It goes on sale occasionally too.

We are off the grid -

Wood stove for heat - Propane for on demand hot water and stove and heater.

5500 watt generator - to charge 12 volt system when not running generator. LED lights, 300 gallon outdoor water tank - 250 gallon indoor tank. We go with only the indoor tank when it gets consistently below freezing - we can heat the bathroom with a small wall heater even when we are not there.
Outdoor water tank is fed from roof gutter - water goes into a 30 gallon barrel - and that barrel sits on top the 300 gallon tank - it acts like a filter. the water rises towards the top then goes out a 3/4" hole into main tank - 95% debris stays in 30 gallon barrel -

we use a 12volt pump to move water inside from the main tank - and a 1/2 HP pump to circulate water when the generator is running. (even have a shower) - all the water is Heated on demand - (even the toilet water) lol - we have no old water unless water heater is off.

No solar panel yet - but thinking about it - would run generator a little less. You can see my cabin on my Property Tour thread - I'm always looking for ideas for the cabin!!

We are off the grid -

Wood stove for heat - Propane for on demand hot water and stove and heater.

5500 watt generator - to charge 12 volt system when not running generator. LED lights, 300 gallon outdoor water tank - 250 gallon indoor tank. We go with only the indoor tank when it gets consistently below freezing - we can heat the bathroom with a small wall heater even when we are not there.
Outdoor water tank is fed from roof gutter - water goes into a 30 gallon barrel - and that barrel sits on top the 300 gallon tank - it acts like a filter. the water rises towards the top then goes out a 3/4" hole into main tank - 95% debris stays in 30 gallon barrel -

we use a 12volt pump to move water inside from the main tank - and a 1/2 HP pump to circulate water when the generator is running. (even have a shower) - all the water is Heated on demand - (even the toilet water) lol - we have no old water unless water heater is off.

No solar panel yet - but thinking about it - would run generator a little less. You can see my cabin on my Property Tour thread - I'm always looking for ideas for the cabin!!

Farmhunter - You have it going on. I believe most people wish they could solve a problem as well as you have with the off grid cabin solution. I like the 30 gallon barrel acting like a filter. Thanks for sharing your system.

Yessir. My attic is uninsulated space. The first thing to pop is the little glass filter canister on the inlet to the water pump. The next thing to split is the "bulb" portion of the banjo valve at the outlet of my 275 gallon tote. Warning on this one. If you close the banjo valve there is still enough water trapped in the pockets of the valve to split its sides. If you empty the tank and disconnect the attached feed line, there is still enough water trapped in the pockets of the valve to split its sides.

...on the third year that I had water in my cabin, I tipped the whole tank backwards, removed the banjo valve, and took it home with me.

The tote itself is very strong and has been able to withstand a solid freeze. Its not until you try to prime the cabin system in spring that you will see water pouring out of the bottom of your banjo valve when you open it.

Tip: A new banjo valve can be mail ordered for $43.11 but a $5.78 tube of JB Water Weld epoxy from Lowes will fix a banjo valve so that it holds water for three years and counting.

I should start a lesson's learned thread.

Yes - the outdoor tank freezing is always a problem. Some skim ice inside is no big deal - but if the bottom drain valve freezes you run the risk of breaking it or the tank without being able to drain it for winter - so around thanksgiving - we fill the inside tank and watch the weather for the 1st week that looks like a serious freeze up - then the inside tank has to last us until the end of hunting season and we start conserving. Its also a good idea to take the gutter down if we are still staying there a lot because roof ice will bring it down if not a real winter gutter -

Inside we have the water tank room very well insulated and we can shut it up - and we have a wall mount propane heater that heats it above 40 degrees with just the pilot light on. We weren't sure it would - but two years now its worked well for us!

Last edited:
Mine is off grid, and wouldn't have it any other way. Rather than solar, I bought a used honda 4,000 watt generator. Still starts first or second pull every time. The thing will run all day on 2 gallons of gas and I highly recommend this as a backup, even if you go solar. Used the generator to power all the tools to build the cabin, it worked flawlessly. 16X24 feet on concrete pad. Wood came from oak trees in the woods, cut by local sawmill for next to nothing. I built it with 12 foot walls and steep pitch on the roof, benefit to that design is the second floor is nearly all usable space. Have all the bunk beds on second floor, downstairs has the wood stove, small bar, seating, etc. Used 3/4' foam insulation on walls and roof. Space the 1 inch braces 48.5 inches apart so that a standard 4X8' sheet of foam insulation will fit. The small wood stove will keep it warm in about any temp. Put reclaimed wood from fence on downstairs walls, looks awesome and rustic. Don't have running water, but I built a pond that is located 75 feet from the cabin. I also capture rainwater from roof, use that to mostly water trees around the cabin during dry conditions. During deer season, we catch and filet catfish for dinner at least one night. For lighting, I have one coleman propane light that will light up the entire floor. I also have two old school laterns that look much better and run off clean burning oil, they will run for days on a single fillup. The tin and insulation were by far the biggest costs. All told I probably only have about $8500 into the cabin. It's perfect for what I need.

I have a one panel system, 140 watt panel. Has been in service for 6 yrs, batteries only charged with the panel. I run lights, travel trailer, small TV, and any power tools I want. Have a small Pure Sine Wave inverter for charging batteries (phone, power tool), and a 1000 watt MSW inverter for 110v power tools, vacuum, whatever. o DSCN5082.jpg o DSCN6353.jpg

I have a one panel system, 140 watt panel. Has been in service for 6 yrs, batteries only charged with the panel. I run lights, travel trailer, small TV, and any power tools I want. Have a small Pure Sine Wave inverter for charging batteries (phone, power tool), and a 1000 watt MSW inverter for 110v power tools, vacuum, whatever. View attachment 2433 View attachment 2434

What was the cost of this setup?

In 2010 it cost around $750 because the panel was $400 at that time. Today that same panel now costs $250 so should be able to do it up the same for $500-$600. Could maybe done for less with cheaper components.

Any issue with batteries over charging? I have thought about hooking a panel up to my camper but haven't done so simply because I don't have anything to stop it from charging when it's full

Should not have over charge unless the Charge Controller settings are not proper for your setup.
A Charge Controller provides charge according to how discharged battery is, that is what it is for. Generally when the battery is fully charged the charge controller stops charging.

Back