The End of an Era...

OkieKubota

Staff member
I have been on a deer lease for many years and only got off for 1 year in 2021 but got back on in 2022. I have been on it from 1998 and have lots of fond memories and had some great deer hunts down there. The lease price in 1998 was $500 and over the years has increased to $1100 per year and we had 12 hunters on approximately 1300 acres. The man who owned the ranch was a self made millionaire who came up with the idea of wiring flowers (think FTV Florist)...he had a daughter but she wasn’t really all that interested in the 15,000 acre total ranch and neither was his wife so he decided many years ago he was going to give it to the Boy Scouts. He built them a lodge on a 40 acre parcel that right Next to our lease. For several years he retained control and they just did scout things on the ranch in the off hunting seasons. In 2022 he gave them full control as he got dementia and it is now totally the scouts. Last year they kept the same lease fees and hunting practices in place but I have just heard from the “Lease Holder” that they feel the lease is much too cheap and has too few hunters so they plan to more than double the cost per Hunter and the amount of hunters to increase the profitability of the ranch. They have also leased out grazing on it and will be timbering.

It has always been a great place to camp with my other friends on the lease and was a true wilderness type hunting experience as our lease was a part of the 15k acre ranch. You truly never knew what type deer was going to show up. I spoke with my wife about it and I think I am giving it up for good and not looking forward to all the work dismantling all of the stands and taking down camp. I am blessed beyond measure having our own land to hunt but I always enjoyed those rugged hunts down there in the mountains...bittersweet end...

I have been on a deer lease for many years and only got off for 1 year in 2021 but got back on in 2022. I have been on it from 1998 and have lots of fond memories and had some great deer hunts down there. The lease price in 1998 was $500 and over the years has increased to $1100 per year and we had 12 hunters on approximately 1300 acres. The man who owned the ranch was a self made millionaire who came up with the idea of wiring flowers (think FTV Florist)...he had a daughter but she wasn’t really all that interested in the 15,000 acre total ranch and neither was his wife so he decided many years ago he was going to give it to the Boy Scouts. He built them a lodge on a 40 acre parcel that right Next to our lease. For several years he retained control and they just did scout things on the ranch in the off hunting seasons. In 2022 he gave them full control as he got dementia and it is now totally the scouts. Last year they kept the same lease fees and hunting practices in place but I have just heard from the “Lease Holder” that they feel the lease is much too cheap and has too few hunters so they plan to more than double the cost per Hunter and the amount of hunters to increase the profitability of the ranch. They have also leased out grazing on it and will be timbering.

It has always been a great place to camp with my other friends on the lease and was a true wilderness type hunting experience as our lease was a part of the 15k acre ranch. You truly never knew what type deer was going to show up. I spoke with my wife about it and I think I am giving it up for good and not looking forward to all the work dismantling all of the stands and taking down camp. I am blessed beyond measure having our own land to hunt but I always enjoyed those rugged hunts down there in the mountains...bittersweet end...

Could be a blessing in disguise, Okie. Allowing you to consolidate your efforts at home. It is never easy to give up that much history. Here’s to hoping it all shakes out favorably for you…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea that is a crappy situation. Too bad most decisions come down to $$$. I have watched so much good habitat get ripped out since I was a kid it is sickening, just so a few more non productive, marginal acres could be planted. No I am not anti-farming. My family has farmed since 1870. Just hard to watch the memories from when I was a kid hiking through those areas hunting be turned into another row of corn, beans, etccc..

I know you have enjoyed camping and hunting that area. You do have a couple of activities going on in your life, along with some great hunting land, so maybe just the memories will serve you well. When land ownership is transferred we are at the mercy of new owners.

Hate that for you Okie, it’s always rough having to give up something you enjoy. The lease that I hunt on is always year to year, the folks that own it are timber and oil/gas investors. I imagine it will be clearcut in the next 2/3 years. At least it doesn’t cost a lot for the time being. I joined my son’s lease this year in anticipation of the other one ending badly, so now I’m on two leases and hunt here at home as well. The next question is….which place to hunt ?😁

Back