Anyone feed protein?

Mitch

I've been told to not worry about it and focus my time on a good plot. I'm thinking about giving it a try this off-season heading into the spring. I know some guys say they burn through tons of it literally by the week. So it gets expensive. I'm not looking to sell off my kids to support the protein feeding on my land but if I could enhance their diet and encourage healthy antler growth, i'd be all for it.

Just curious to know what others do.

Mitch

I run a couple small 90lb feeders and I cant keep up or find enough feed around here to keep me going nor can I afford to anymore, now that i got some new ground to work i'm gonna lean more towards food plots to save energy and money.

I guess I'm leaning towards protein to alleviate all the trips to my land.....although I really enjoy being there as much as possible.....the drive to and back can get expensive. So to cut down on the number of trips I'm considering trying protein.

Any thoughts on feeders....because moisture is a problem I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

My advice is get the biggest ones you can afford,you will go through it faster than you can imagine, coon proof the heck outta them and make sure you have them anchored good for storms.

I had one that I could see from the house back when it was still legal to do so in NYS.
No idea if it was making a difference, but when the bears would find it, they would hit until every
pellet was gone. I would try to run them off, but they would just wait me out.

If able I just try and plant chestnut trees and grow soybeans, eagle beans have tested out at up to 28% whole plant protein, Dunstan's claim 5-10% protein.

Obviously not as much protein I'm sure as pellets but much more affordable.

If able I just try and plant chestnut trees and grow soybeans, eagle beans have tested out at up to 28% whole plant protein, Dunstan's claim 5-10% protein.

Obviously not as much protein I'm sure as pellets but much more affordable.
I'm working in that direction :)
I've got some serious work to do though to get a plot of eagle beans ready, which is what my plan is, I will need something this spring though. My plot is close enough to our water, i'll be able to irrigate and make sure it's successful but I don't know if I'll get that done this spring. Actually, I know I won't. So much work to do. But it's on the list.

Best pellets ive used for the money is either purina or the stuff you get from TSC, cant think of the name at the moment but its their main pellets.

Thats the one, i use one of their 40lb bags mixed with 2 of their 50lb pellet bags and deer seem to love it. It has the highest protein content i've found around my parts including the very expensive feed.

I'm not looking to sell off my kids to support the protein feeding on my land but if I could enhance their diet and encourage healthy antler growth, i'd be all for it. Just curious to know what others do. Mitch
I sometimes add soy protein powder to ground sausage recipes, especially when making a smoked product. It doesn't do much for growth, but does minimize shrinkage. ;)

I added it to my feeder mixed with corn last spring summer and it got moldy. But I think that was my fault too

I havnt had much trouble, if it does get wet it gets really hard so sometimes and i have to clean the end of feeder out. Very rarely gets mold for me atleast.

Any problems with it molding?

Have been feeding Record Rack at our current lease for close to 3 years now. We have not experienced any mold issues, but we do get a little soggy/swollen pellets that are on the outside edge of the trough if the wind blows rain under it. Record Rack is supposed to be water resistant, but sometimes a lot of rain can get under the roof when we don't want it to. We don't normally worry about it, as it is about a handful from both ends(combined) and it doesn't happen every time it rains. Just occasionally.

I fed Attwoods All Stock Pellets 13% protein ($5.99 a bag) through my feeders all through the winter and right up until the acorns dropped this year. I also mixed in some Rice Bran Pellets with it. The only clumping I had was from the bag, they had a few fist sized clumps with a little mold. After I learned to watch for it I havent had any problems at all. I greased the legs of my feeders and that stopped the coons from eating all night. I can tell you that feeding all year like that you definitely draw more deer to your land than when we didn't. I fed 3-4 seconds in the morning and evening and that would last over a month.

Back