Alternate materials for insideshooting house walls?

FTG-05

With two hurricanes back to back, OSB prices are now north of $14 each. So I'm looking for alternative materials that won't break the bank to line the inside walls of 6x7 shooting house. I was planning on using OSB (chip board) but don't want to spend all that money - if I don't have to.

Besides scrap and/or salvaged material (more about that later) anyone have any good ideas on other materials to use for the inside walls? I want to do it now since I plan to move my shooting house to the bottom of my hill and then raise it; installing the inside walls then would be a major PIA. Plus, the whole purpose of building this shooting house: No more cold.

Here is one thing I found on CL: Free plastic sheets. All different colors (no white or black available), but I plan to paint it flat black on the inside anyway.

CL ad: https://huntsville.craigslist.org/zip/d/free-mixed-color-pvc-sheets/6296814436.html

Pics of the plastic sheeting:

00303_alxBTdza5fE_600x450.jpg

00g0g_jDYpWFWlHbs_600x450.jpg

What do you guys think? Any other ideas besides "write a check" for OSB?

Thanks,

I don't put anything inside mine.....just something else for the mice to destroy. Not sure about the plastic sheets. Not sure it will have much insulation value to it. I just take a small LP heater to the blind with me to help stay warm.

Do you have any semi trailer manufacturing plant near. If they produce refrigerated trailers they use fiberglass sheeting. The one near me allows people to come in a pick up pallets of the leftovers from the sheets they have cut up. They basically are 5'x 44". I have made 9 box blinds out of them and some are 10 years old.(One pallet had enough for the nine I made)

The sheeting is all I use on the outside and then carpet the wall up to 34" inside for sound protection. and paint the rest black inside. The outside is painted as well. As Jbird said, use a little heater if cold is a worry. It will toast up nicely.

Those plastic sheets might be good as well. I would want the biggest possible to keep down on joints for possible air/water leakage.

insulation materials are graded with an "R" value..... Do some digging and see what this stuff offers you vs other options.

Most lumberyards have 1/2" x 4' x 8' Fiberboard Sheathing for about $9 a PC. This stuff is black on one side, tan on the other, is easy to work with, and insulates better than osb. It breaks pretty easy, but is ok as far as kicking against inside a shooting house if you are careful during installation, and it would be quieter than osb.

a black plastic might be nice to make it dark inside. If you use it -don't leave space between it and the walls - just becomes a place for mice, squirrels, bats and bees. Learned the the hard way. I like rough cut hemlock on the inside - sometimes I can get that for very cheap.

Went ahead and bit the bullet: 8 sheets at $14.25 each - ouch! I also got two pallets of that plastic material, one black and one blue, both arer 1/4" thick material. I'll use that for the ceiling material, beats lifting that heavy plywood/OSB board. Once the inside is done, I'll paint the entire interior with flat black paint, making it very dark inside. I have one wall and the ceiling to do today.

Then windows and curtains. I'll then raise it, install the elevators and the porch railing, then transport it down the hill.

Thanks for the help and comments!

How did it come out??

We moved it to it's final resting place this Saturday (yesterday).

My neighbor and his M8560 tractor taking it down my hill. The final resting place is behind the tractor and about 50' behind the concrete shooting table.

4wm3cKn.jpg

First phase completed at the bottom of the hill! One of the project supervisor's gives his tumbs-up/approval:

LSJrKk9.jpg

Set and temporarily braced enough for us to go have my wife's steak sandwichs; itwas pretty cold yesterday here!

jFuv7MH.jpg

Gratuitous scenic pic:

LfOaVS4.jpg

Gotta finish the bracing, make and install the stairs, then install the anchors before gun season starts (Nov. 18).

Thanks for looking!

FTG-05

What county or city are you located in? I live in middle TN in Portland. Your view of the area is beautiful.

Congrats on a nice shooting house. Hope you tally whacked a truck load of deer out of that nice setup.

I am sure your supervisor will enjoy it for years to come.

Wayne

Opposite end of I-65 from you.

It's been pretty quiet here with a near full moon plus it's unseasonably warm, around 65-70 degrees during the day. I did get busted by a 10 point a couple days ago; he saw me silhouetted against the window and took off! :(

Thanks!

Back