Acorns, will they grow?

Satguy

Last fall I collected a bucket full of acorns and have them stored in a bucket since. If I direct plant them will they grow?

Probably not, because they dried out and died. Acorns should be planted when they drop, but can be stored in a cool moist location, like a plastic bag in a refrigerator, until Spring.

Probably not, because they dried out and died. Acorns should be planted when they drop, but can be stored in a cool moist location, like a plastic bag in a refrigerator, until Spring.
Kinda what I thought. Thanks for the info.

How big was your bucket and where did you store it? Be sure and dump the acorns out - before you pitch them - to see if any have a viable (white) radical. I have seen large numbers of acorns (e.g. 5-gal bucket full) stored in a relatively cool location (basement/root cellar) have acorns in the bottom of the container that are good to go well into the summer. I suspect large numbers smashed together suck up enough moisture (humidity?) for a few to survive. Yours may all be dead/dried up; however, if you went to the trouble of collecting and storing them, you owe it to yourself to check them out. Good luck.

Acorns can be removed from the shell and planted. Crack a few open and see if you find moist living seeds or hollow dried up shells. Plant only those that appear to be alive with the shell removed, and if you find that a percentage are alive, then soak all of them and plant the following day.

Back