70 in Texas, 50 in Oklahoma

TexOk

So it's about time I started my own property tour, or in my case, property tour. As you can guess from the thread title, I'm working with 70 acres in east Texas, and 50 acres in southeast Oklahoma. I don't own either of these properties myself outright, but as of now at least I am the de facto property manager of both of them. Because I don't own these myself each have their own sets of restrictions, and naturally each property has their own pluses and minuses.

First, a quick look at the Texas property. It has been owned by my wife's family for over a century. Her great grandfather used to own hundreds of acres in the area, but as was often the case back then, he had numerous children, and the land was split among them. Many family members or their grandchildren eventually sold the land, but my wife's grandmother held on to hers.

I had heard about this property for years, which her family always reverently referred to as "The Country," but nobody ever went there. Her family (including us) live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so it was a pretty long drive. I always wanted to check it out, and talked to her grandmother once about the prospect of me hunting there, but she didn't seem too keen. Apparently one of the nearby neighbors there owned some cattle, and he helped her claim an agricultural tax exemption on the property. In return, she gave him permission to hunt the land. This informal deal had gone on for many years, and she seemed hesitant to change things up. That was a few years ago... fast forward to today. As other grandchildren have gotten older more of them have grown interested in the Country. We all talked to Mamaw about how we wanted to do more stuff out there and convinced her to let us take over taking care of the place, rather than the neighbor. Still hoping to turn the place into a whitetail paradise, I told everyone about how the state of Texas allows land owners to claim an ag exemption if the property is used for wildlife management. So it was agreed that the responsibility of creating the wildlife management plan fell to me. For the county we are in, the law requires that at least 92% of the land be dedicated to wildlife management in order to be ag exempt. Luckily this works out great for everyone, as most of the family is happy to focus on the small odd shaped parcel on the west side of the road where the old family farm site resides. I'll have to get a pic of the old farm house next time I'm there, it's the original house that my wife's grandmother was born in. The small western parcel is mostly cleared with a few large post oaks. The rest of the property on the east side of the road is all very densely wooded undergrowth that nobody is really interested, well except for me and the deer anyway.

I do have one brother-in-law that is interested in hunting, as well as my dad and maybe my wife sometime in the future. I'm pretty sure we will be the only ones hunting, and time will tell how much my brother in law will be into it long term, since he's never actually hunted before. So here's a wide look at the property:

2016-08-01_19-20-03.jpg

And here's a topographical map of the area for those of you who can read such things. You can see the road a little more clearly and some of the streams that run through the property:

2016-08-08_19-30-28.jpg

So I was excited about getting started on this property, and quickly hit a snag. The neighbor who had been managing the property felt put out that he was being given the boot. There was a tiny little hidey hole food plot on the property that he hunted and he had already planted it in the spring with some oats. Thus he felt entitled to continue hunting it this season. Unbeknownst to me another family member negotiated with him and agreed that he would be allowed to hunt the property by himself one more season and then he would clear off. Needless to say I'm not pleased with this arrangement since it means I can't really do anything with the property until after deer season ends in January. But as you can see from the map, one of the big disadvantages with this property is that it is long and narrow. I can imagine in the future needing to track the odd wounded deer onto the neighbors land, and so I don't really feel like making any enemies out of the neighbors yet. So as of now I'm left to plan and dream until next year, when I can really get in there and explore the property and start coming up with some long term goals. So until then, on to the Oklahoma property...

My sister's in-laws have always been close with my parents. A few years ago they all started talking about buying some land somewhere in southeast Oklahoma. They found this property and got quite a deal on it. Turns out there was a some kind of snafu at the lumber company and the owner of the company didn't intend for that lot to be sold. Apparently the owner of the lumber company came by and was upset when he saw the private property signs we posted everywhere! Most of the property was select cut about years ago, taking out almost all of the mature pines on the property and leaving the oaks, hickories, and other hardwoods behind. There is no ag of any kind for miles, and much of the surrounding area is devoted to pine plantation. So naturally this property already has quite a lot of natural browse everywhere including lots of blackberry, greenbriar, American beautyberry, and others. You can see from the overhead pic the difference the property and the area around it. If you were to zoom out some more the difference is much more striking.

2016-07-23_16-52-40.jpg

Looking at the map you can see at least one of the downsides the OK property, the easement running through it. One thing that can't be so easily seen from the overhead map is the contour of the land. Here again is a topo map that shows the other downside:
2016-07-23_17-09-15.jpg

So for those of you (like me) that aren't great with topo maps, the property on the south side of the road is the base of a large hill. So for the purposes of hunting there are probably only about 30 acres or so that are huntable.

Here you can see the hill on the south end of the property:

08c6fc5252d14038f9885331bcc88cc7.jpg

Of course, being flatlanders from Texas we call it a mountain, but whatever you call it, deer probably don't call it home. So I'll be focusing on the area to the north of the road when it comes to habitat management. As I mentioned the property is co-owned by my parents and my sister's father and mother-in-law. As far as habitat management goes, this works out okay. My dad and I are the only ones that hunt the property, at least for now, and that might continue into the foreseeable future. My sister's FIL does have an overall stipulation that he wants to leave the place as "wild" as possible, so probably not going to be any TSI going on, even though I'd really like to release some more oaks from the surrounding hickories, elms, and hackberries. But you pick your battles. So far we've settled on the following layout going forward:

2016-07-27_16-18-35.jpg

Dark Green: Food Plots
Light Green: White clover strips
Blue Squares: Current tree stands
Yellow Circles: Future tree stands
Purple Circles: Feeders
Dark Blue: Wet weather creek and future pond site

The three food plots will be in Lick Creek rotation, along with the various mast trees that are labeled for each plot. I also plan to plant an assortment of shrubs for browse and mast around the food plot areas. But more about my planting list later.

As you can guess much of this is still in the planning stages. I'm hoping to at least get the clover strips planted here in a couple of weeks, and then work on clearing the food plots after deer season ends and maybe get them planted with some buckwheat and alyce clover later in spring.

Don't count the hill out...my best hunts are on land that is nowhere near flat and a lot more mountainous than what you have posted...

And this is why I wanted to start a property tour! In talking to one of the locals we've befriended here in the area who used to hunt this land (translation: used to poach this land) he advised that the best hunting was in the bottoms areas, and that deer didn't really go up in the hills. Interesting... now I may look at that hill a bit differently.

And this is why I wanted to start a property tour! In talking to one of the locals we've befriended here in the area who used to hunt this land (translation: used to poach this land) he advised that the best hunting was in the bottoms areas, and that deer didn't really go up in the hills. Interesting... now I may look at that hill a bit differently.
Lol, that's funny stuff!

Yeah, the local I talked to is in his eighties, and he confessed that as a much hunger man he used to poach the land we now owned. Poaching is pretty rampant throughout the area still... it seems like just about every day of archery season there's a gun going off somewhere. My dad was talking to another local who showed off the antlers of the four bucks he'd killed that season, even though the season limit is two bucks. Needless to say we've invested in a nice security system that alerts us when someone is where they aren't supposed to be. Stealing is pretty rampant too, although we had anything stolen yet.

Regarding the deer not being up on the hill, I may have tipped some of you off to the fact that I'm a bit green when it comes to hunting, so feel free to correct me if I say something wrong... seriously, you'll be helping me out! I guess now's a good time to tell you a little more about myself. I'm a novice hunter, and I mean really really green... last season was my first time to ever hunt. Well, I sat in a deer stand once when I was about 12. About halfway through my sit I had to pee really bad, but I didn't want to walk too far from my stand because I didn't know the area well and was scared of getting lost. So I got down, peed on the spot, and never saw a deer all day. :rolleyes: I always wanted to get into hunting, but after that season my dad didn't really hunt anymore and life never really offered any other opportunities. So when my parents bought the Oklahoma property my dad and I both started getting excited about the prospect of hunting there. So we got some new gear, put up a corn feeder and a couple of tree stands, and viola! Insta-hunter! :rolleyes: I remember the first time a deer walked out to the feeder, my pulse was racing like crazy! It turned out to be just a button buck, but just that heart charging moment of hearing something big walking towards me in the brush was quite the rush. But after a few hunts I finally saw my first decent buck, 2 x 4 with a really weird rack. He wasn't huge, but definitely something I didn't mind taking as my first deer. He stopped 20 yards from me, perfect broadside. Once I managed to stop hyperventilating, I took careful aim, and shot. In hindsight, I aimed way too low. As a result, I believe I hit him in the brisket. After waiting 45 minutes my dad and I took up the blood trail, which had huge splashes of blood that a blind person couldn't miss, and then after about 15-20 yards, it vanished. We searched for hours, worked a grid, but couldn't find a single drop of blood anywhere outside that initial trail. To say I was upset would be an understatement. I was mad at myself for taking a bad shot, mad about killing an animal for no reason, mad about missing out on all that venison... The next day I was still upset, so I figured I'd just sit in the tree all day. Being the wise hunter that I already was, I knew that after traipsing all over the entire area the night before no deer in there right mind would come anywhere near me. But to be honest I just wanted to be alone and sulk, and the tree stand seemed like a good place to do that. And then just a couple of hours into my sit, out he walked, a nice little nine point. I couldn't believe it! All of the sudden my bad mood vanished and in rushed the adrenaline! Again, the buck stopped about 20 yards away, perfect broadside. I aimed, and made sure to set my sights a little higher this time, and made the shot. The buck took off running into the brush where I lost sight of him, but I heard a loud crash followed by a few loud coughs, and then silence. Could he already be down? Did I finally bag my first deer?

I waited about an hour before taking up the trail since I couldn't see for sure if the buck was down or not. So after the longest hour ever I took up the trail with my wife and my dad, and after going just a few yards into the bushes, there he was, about 20 yards from where I shot him! To say I was ecstatic would be an understatement!

02c11e1afb444e70386bd5d6a7831d59.jpg
fad2f3facb2c6ff440e749420a4290a5.jpg

You can still see the look of shock on my face! Obviously he wasn't the biggest deer ever, probably only a two or three year old (still not great at aging deer but trying to learn), but in that moment I was really proud of my first deer. A buddy of mine did a Euro mount for me that I think turned out pretty good, hangs over my desk in my office at home.
af4d86d5e94cae51930a5a4021e7fae9.jpg

To a deer pee is pee. You could pee right off your stand and it wouldn't hurt a thing. That hill is probably where your bucks are, bucks like high ground.

Exciting story, I was right there with you. The deer you hit low that stopped bleeding had a 90% chance of full recovery, as brisket hits aren't fatal.

You need open ground to plant trees, which require Sun, so Locust, Hackberry and other junk trees should be dropped prior to planting. ;-)

You can make mock scrapes and urinate in them yourself to get bucks and does to start using them. I have never seen human urine spook a deer and if anything only observe curiosity around it. I have pulled in some of the biggest bucks on our place to scrapes I just raked out with a stick under a low hanging limb and urinating in it. Having said that what will spook deer when you are doing this is you getting your personal odor all over everything around it...stuff like setting a sweatie back pack on the ground there or wearing the boots you pumped gas an hour before in or you touching all the vegetation around with your hands.

Bucks tend to bed on high ground as brush alluded to. I hunt really mountainous areas in NE Oklahoma and we have some flat hay fields surrounded by really tall hills and ridges. We never kill a good buck down in the low country. Every big buck taken is on the high ground on places like points, saddles, finger ridges leading into main ridges, etc... We have some small bucks killed down around the pastures...

I am assuming you got the deer with either a bow or crossbow by your description of aiming your sights, and the fact you are in full camo but weapon was never mentioned or shown in pics... congrats on a nice Oklahoma buck for your first :)

congrats on your first buck. Always great to have a "pseudo" okie on board.

I agree with others. Don't rule out the hill. The "poacher" may just not want you hunting that area bc he knows that is where the deer actually hang out. You really need to do a head count on your deer with some camera and corn. Might want to start that next year since season is just around the corner but I bet there are lots of trails on the higher ground and rubs and scrapes all over the place. Some great deer hunting in SE Oklahoma. Owner absentee land in SE Oklahoma is a gold mine for pot growers.

I agree with your decision not to get on the bad side of your Texas neighbor. With that thin strip of land it would probably just be a matter of time before you have to ask to trail and deer on his land. I don't know about exclusive rights for a year but letting him hunt this year after already starting a food plot is a wise decision. Nothing worse then conflict with neighbors.

looking forward to following along
todd

To a deer pee is pee. You could pee right off your stand and it wouldn't hurt a thing. That hill is probably where your bucks are, bucks like high ground.

Exciting story, I was right there with you. The deer you hit low that stopped bleeding had a 90% chance of full recovery, as brisket hits aren't fatal.

You need open ground to plant trees, which require Sun, so Locust, Hackberry and other junk trees should be dropped prior to planting. ;-)

Thanks Brush! I think you're right, that first buck probably survived, at least I really hope so. Probably a really long shot but maybe I'll get another chance at him!
You can't really tell from the map but the food/tree plot areas are small clearings that we will be opening up more so that the trees, shrubs, and crops we plant there will get plenty of light. Unfortunately per the other land owner all the other junk trees on the property outside of the food plot areas get a pass... at least for now. The Texas property is another story. I plan on attacking the junk trees with a vengeance there, but it looks like there will be a lot of them to cut and clear, in particular tons of nasty honey locust. As I understand it deer may like the honey locust pods, but I am definitely not a fan of the honey locust thorns!

You can make mock scrapes and urinate in them yourself to get bucks and does to start using them. I have never seen human urine spook a deer and if anything only observe curiosity around it. I have pulled in some of the biggest bucks on our place to scrapes I just raked out with a stick under a low hanging limb and urinating in it. Having said that what will spook deer when you are doing this is you getting your personal odor all over everything around it...stuff like setting a sweatie back pack on the ground there or wearing the boots you pumped gas an hour before in or you touching all the vegetation around with your hands.

Bucks tend to bed on high ground as brush alluded to. I hunt really mountainous areas in NE Oklahoma and we have some flat hay fields surrounded by really tall hills and ridges. We never kill a good buck down in the low country. Every big buck taken is on the high ground on places like points, saddles, finger ridges leading into main ridges, etc... We have some small bucks killed down around the pastures...

I am assuming you got the deer with either a bow or crossbow by your description of aiming your sights, and the fact you are in full camo but weapon was never mentioned or shown in pics... congrats on a nice Oklahoma buck for your first :)

Thanks for the tips! As I mentioned I'm quite the newbie, so I didn't realize at the time that for the hero pic you're supposed to have your weapon on display along with your quarry! I currently hunt with an Excalibur Grizzly crossbow. My hope is to get a few more kills under my belt, gain some confidence, and then move on to a compound bow.

You and Brush both mentioned that deer won't spook at human pee. I've been reading that lately since I've been researching how to make a mock scrape, and quite a few guys recommend taking the first leak there. At first it seems so counterintuitive, but the proof does seem to be in the pudding... quite a few examples out there of guys peeing in a scrape (including yourself I believe) followed by pictures of bucks coming to check it out.

Speaking of mock scrapes, last weekend I was at the Oklahoma property and decided to try my hand at making one. I didn't pee in it this time but I think I will freshen it up when I go back up there in a week or two.

a7e434132db8058170a126059db5ece5.jpg

Here's from the other side looking towards my stand.

cfcf6e8a542ebfed78ddf6936bb9bb1a.jpg

And standing further away with my back to my stand.

9b2b58b9eefd4fa3a3943fc0e745bf33.jpg

Good luck with your properties. And good decision trying to stay on good terms with neighbors.

Thanks Lak, I'm hoping it will pay off in the long run. My brother in law who also wants to hunt that land is even more hot under the collar than I am (and I'm pretty mad about it), but as dogdoc just mentioned, I told him that it's only a matter of time before we need to get that neighbor's permission to track a deer on his land. Better to court an ally than create an enemy.

congrats on your first buck. Always great to have a "pseudo" okie on board.

I agree with others. Don't rule out the hill. The "poacher" may just not want you hunting that area bc he knows that is where the deer actually hang out. You really need to do a head count on your deer with some camera and corn. Might want to start that next year since season is just around the corner but I bet there are lots of trails on the higher ground and rubs and scrapes all over the place. Some great deer hunting in SE Oklahoma. Owner absentee land in SE Oklahoma is a gold mine for pot growers.

I agree with your decision not to get on the bad side of your Texas neighbor. With that thin strip of land it would probably just be a matter of time before you have to ask to trail and deer on his land. I don't know about exclusive rights for a year but letting him hunt this year after already starting a food plot is a wise decision. Nothing worse then conflict with neighbors.

looking forward to following along
todd

Thanks for the welcome doc, glad to be a pseudo okie! I really love how beautiful it is there in SE OK, but as pointed out, lots of unsavory goings on in the area. I'll add pot growing to list along with the poaching, stealing, and meth labs. We've made a point of becoming good friends with the neighbors to help keep on eye on the place when we're not there... that and the security system.

You and Okie have me looking at that hill differently now. I don't think the local I talked to was trying to steer me wrong (I could be wrong though). I've talked to a couple of other hunters outside of OK that have advised me that the deer prefer to hang out in the bottoms. In any case I'll definitely be checking out that hill for trails and rubs now, I'd been ignoring it before. The only problem I foresee in trying to hunt it is that it is pretty steep and our property line only goes about half way up the hill. But if that's where the big bucks are that's where I'll want to be!

We have some trail cameras setup but we weren't using them during the off season. That will definitely be changing next season. As I said, I'm still a newbie so keep the suggestions coming guys!

Back